NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

If you could take just one.... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: If you could take just one....

Why not a Bogan Fish Poison matched with a Penn 310 GTI?
Fits the budget and will work well for the casual fisherman!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Several good recomendations mentioned. If he lives near the cranford area have him give me a call as I have a few setups both off the shelf and custom that might fit in his budget

MVP
Alex
201-741-1823
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

How about a Penn Torque 50-100 with a saltist 30? I have one and have used it for the aforementioned trips. With some shopping around, a saltist can be had for about $150...Of course for a little more dough, I would always recommend a Fish Poison rod. I have a couple and love 'em too!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B
the tsunami rods hold up pretty good and are very easy on the wallet.
I love those rods and the price makes them even more appealing!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have a couple of Tsunamis and they all work well. As far as reels go, your friend should either go with a Saltist 30 or a Calcutta 700 spooled with either 30lb. mono or 50 lb. braid, depending on what he'll be fishing for more, seabass and fluke, or bass and blues. Bass and blues, Calcutta 700 with 30 lb. mono or for fluke and seabass, either of the reels(Saltist would be better for deeper water) and 50 lb. braid.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyReeler
Friend of mine is in the market for an all around setup, not an avid fisherman, but likes to get out maybe 3-4 times a month during the summer. More fair weather fishing than any, light bottom species w/blues and stripers mixed in occasionally. I have given him my recommendation but would like to hear what others have to offer. Again, he is not particular to all the absurd/crazy things we all worry about so an intermediate level set up with the versatility to do all is what I would like to advise to him.

The constraints are as follows:

Budget: $250.00

Option A

Type: Party Boat Fishing

Target Species: Inshore (Fluke, Sea Bass , Blues, Stripers)

Rod: Off the shelf non custom (please specify taper and length)

Reel: Conventional (Mono or Braid capable)

Fisherman: Right Handed Retrieve (I'm a backward lefty)

To make a few changes to spice things up I would be interested to see what people would change given the above would read as follows:

Type: Private Boat/Charter

Rod: Custom ONLY

Hope to see some interesting replies....
don't think an off-the-shelf Lami or Tsuami are considered custom?
NJ DEVILS
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go on ebay. You can pick up 2 vintage made in the USA Penn Special 3/0Senators(3.7 to 1 retrieve) for $30 to $50 each depending on how pretty you want them. They are like the AK47's of reels. If you learn to take them apart and put them back together you got it made. Then find someone with an Entertainment book. There is a coupon for Dick's for $20 off a $100 purchase. Take that to The Sports Authority( they take Dick's coupons) and pick up a couple of Ugly Stick Tigers( the SA usually has a large selection of Ugly Sticks) with solid stainless guides not those ones with inserts. One heavy and one mh. Depending on whether or not they are on sale you should walk away $110-130 with tax for both. There's a set-up with a back-up and you still have enough left over for a couple of 30 packs.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the advice so far gents...

I leaned him towards the avet SX (workhorse IMHO) non-magnetic cast
08 model saw on ebay for $129 new, and then told him to get either a Tsunami trophy series 12-25 Med action which I think retails inside $100.

If he wants to spend a little more dough, I would no doubt point him in the direction of Kevin Bogan fish poison. I picked up a composite poison rod a few weeks back for my old man for his B-day (Jerry this is the one you are talking about) and for $160 this baby was sah-weet.

I'm so jealous of it - I'm tetering on just getting my own. All black no wrap with foam butt and rubber gimbal.
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Site Sponsor

ditto on the Bogan Fish Pioson rod - find one you like, he has a bunch on the rack- not much more $ than a branded rack rod - it will last forever - can't kill em.
It's SIC Fishin...check out our Facebook page for pictures and reports
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I love Avet reels and own several, however if I were an occational fisherman and could only choose one reel for all my salt water fishing it would be a Shimano Bait Runner spinning reel.

Now before you guys start jumping all over me (not that that ever happens here ) let me first say that I know a spinning reel is not ideal for bottom fishing. The reason I like this reel, especially for someone who doesn't fish frequently, is that with out a doubt, spinners are much easier to operate and cast. No backlashes, no lever drag to mess with etc. Further, you can fish this reel in the surf or on a boat. You can jig and cast with it and even snag bunker. The bait runner is nice since it allows you to drift dead bait or live line like you would with a conventional reel.

Having said all this, this reel can't hold a candle to the Avets when it comes to quality construction, smooth drag and durability. It's a compromise reel. Although not perfectly suited for all or any one type of fishing, it covers more of the bases adequately.

Let me put it this way... If one of my buds from the city that occationally fishes came to me and said. Hey, I'm going on a vacation down the shore.... We are going to spend a week at the beach and would also be hitting a few party boats for different stuff, can I borrow one of your poles? This is the reel I would give them. Besides, I ain't lending any of my Avets to some hack who wears black socks with sneakers on the beach... He wouldn't be getting my custom Bogan rod either

OK..... Fire away

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 02-19-2010 at 08:40 AM..