NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fall Tuna Planning - Jigging - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Fall Tuna Planning - Jigging

Morning -

I just booked 3 trips on the Gambler for fall trips and may be booking a few more, so I figured that, although it's early, I may as well ask....

I'm not new to running offshore on both PBs and private boats...and understand the difference between the two. My last canyon trips on a PB were years ago and now that I'm back from overseas, I want to get back into it. My question is with regard to jigging. I'll be adding a jigging set up to the chunking gear I'm bringing, but my jigging set up is an eggbeater.

I've read that some crews and fisherman frown upon spinning gear being used on a PB. I'm well within the braid/mono guidelines and will NOT be using a super short Japanese style rod....more in the 6'6" range.

Will there be an issue jigging with spinning gear, or am I good to go as long as I'm running proper gear?

Any input is appreciated. I fish righty with my conventional gear, but due to an arm injury I prefer to jig with a spinner. If not, I'd have to jig with a lefty conventional reel and I'm not sure how natural that would feel.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Fall Tuna Planning - Jigging

I think the issue most party boats have with you jigging with a spinner is because of the lighter drags and poles, you can't put enough heat on the fish to control it as much and that will likely cause tangles and take people out of the game.

Having said this, there are spinners out there with just as much drag as conventional reels, they are however very expensive....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I should have mentioned that I'm running a Stella....so right at 50lb max drag for the original spool and 45lb with the SOM aftermarket spool. Both loaded with #65 JB Hollow (plus the required topshot of course). Rod is not the parabolic jigging stick which is preferred, but a 6'6" Terez XH...so it's got a decent amount of ass behind it.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Spinning rig U have should be fine ! Always best to check with boat about its use but I for one cannot see why they would have an issue with ur outfit for tuna !
In many instances the spin outfits are superior to conventional for jigging or chunking . The one draw back with it is chunking U have to open bail it on that model when drifting UR bait or strip line & hand feed .However one plus I like a lot is that u can under hand cast bait well into slick,& hit those fish first .On strike just close bail & good to go !
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrbrdm View Post
I should have mentioned that I'm running a Stella....so right at 50lb max drag for the original spool and 45lb with the SOM aftermarket spool. Both loaded with #65 JB Hollow (plus the required topshot of course). Rod is not the parabolic jigging stick which is preferred, but a 6'6" Terez XH...so it's got a decent amount of ass behind it.
I gotcha... That set up should be fine. One thing I would do as a courtesy while jigging is try and keep a good distance away from people chunking. If you are vertical jigging straight up and down, it should not be as much of an issue.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
You should be "good to go" with that gear...I fish the Gambler also...jiggers are on the side opposite the chunkers so it's really no problem...will see you on board if you're doing the 36hr trips...at any rate, tight lines, you picked a great boat with capt. & crew!!!
Incidentally, what's your chunking gear? How light do you go?
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)

Last edited by Pennsy Guy; 04-28-2016 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the replies. Good copy on the jigging ethics. I'll also chat with the crew when I get on the boat. It's always a fine line on a PB between fishing how I want and respecting the crew and other anglers....which is tops on the list.

I'm currently booked for a freaking marathon session the week of October 10th (24 hour...then 48 hour...then 24 hour). I'm going to try and jump onto one of the 36 hour trips as well. I'm in VA so it's not too easy just run up for one quick trip. I'll be in Somerset mid September for work and was hoping to do a trip or two at the tag end of that week, but the Gambler doesn't have any dates set for that week....so I may look into one of the other boats for that week. Voyager has a 30 and 24 the days after I'm done with work up there. Gambler, however, is the only one to take cards as payment through Zerve reservations. Voyager doesn't so it may take me a week or two to set those spots. Oh how I wish they took paypal or cards....lol

I'm looking at 3 rigs for the trip:

-Light spinner for bait / sabiki
-Stella with #65 JB spliced to #50 mono topshot for jigging on the Terez rod (I run an extra spool with #40 JB/#30 mono for any top-water mahi play that may erupt)
-Accurate BX2 with #80 JB spliced to #60 mono topshot for chunking on a United Composites stand up

The only thing I'll be experimenting with (pre trip) is that Terez rod. I run offshore here in VA and the Outer Banks throughout the summer with a friend on his 32' Edgewater. I'll be messing with that Terez and maybe a shorter but heavy Blackhole. If the Blackhole has enough umpffff, I may feel ok jigging with a shorter rod.

Last edited by wtrbrdm; 04-29-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Member

...and of course the other problem I'll have to address is where to store cleaned fish between trips. I'm hoping to be up early enough to do some scouting...maybe a local shop who wouldn't mind giving up a little space for some frozen steak storage for a few bucks...or maybe someone local who has room in a freezer for a day or three....
Old 04-30-2016, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
...and of course the other problem I'll have to address is where to store cleaned fish between trips. I'm hoping to be up early enough to do some scouting...maybe a local shop who wouldn't mind giving up a little space for some frozen steak storage for a few bucks...or maybe someone local who has room in a freezer for a day or three....
Best of luck with that endeavor...can't help you there.
During the day chunking your extra spool with 40/30 line can be used for tuna, depending on length of top shot(100yd)...mostly, "light is right". I fly-line 30# with a 40# fluoro leader after the sun is getting high. Just a thought. If you're doing a 36hr. you'll see me on board.
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)