NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Live lining bunker question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Live lining bunker question

My two sons and I are relatively new to striper fishing. Typically we live line bunker with fish finder rigs using a 4" leader and 9/0 hooks. We have a never ending debate every time we go out, should we anchor or not. I think we should anchor because if we don't how can a fish finder rig work? If we drift my thought is the fish finder and sinker is always up against the swivel on the leader. Also another question is when to not use the fish finder rig or sinker and just float a live bunker out? We really could use some help. We have a decent boat and decent equipment, read all the most recent posts, but don't catch many fish.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Live lining bunker question

Find the bunker school, try snag and drop with big treble hook and drift
Old 06-13-2016, 10:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Drift with them alive. Fish finder rig to your 9/0 hooked through the nose. Let em swim around as you drift. Finding the school and doing this is another good idea. So if you read em throw them out or go to the schools getting harassed and drop em in. Dont have to use the fish finder rig.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:01 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

If I'm livelining, I usually start a couple floating on top and a couple on the bottom, see what hits then go from there. If the bass are blowing up the top water baits I'll then take all my sinkers off and go exclusively top. Same idea with the other way around. Just cover your bases and adjust with the fish
Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

We've done it both ways, drifting and on anchor. A lot depends on if the fish are up top blowing up on on Bunker and they are scattered schools, we drift...Find the active blows up and drift and cast to them. If they are staying in a particular area because of structure, A reef or lumps then anchor. Having said this we drift more then anchor since it tough to commit to anchor if the fish are not sticking to a specific area.

Some are weighted and some are not.... Some of the most exciting fishing is watching your unweighted bunker get harassed while flapping around on top.

Not sure the slip sinker works very well unless your sinker is on the bottom and you let the line slide through it and the bunker run. If the current and or drift is too swift, the sinker is always going to be right at the slip sleeve.

Right now this is pretty much a run and gun fishery... You might find the bunker but if the bass aren't actively blowing up on them move and find where that is happening and cast and drift that area.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Has anyone every tried live lining with a bait runner spinning reel like shimano or penn spinfisher LL models? Just curious how well they work as anytime I've live lined it's been on conventional tackle.