NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Jig tying instructions. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Jig tying instructions.

Here are some instructions on tying bucktail on jigs. I found basic instructions on the web, then added my details and simplified them. Hope this helps.

You don't need a vise for tying bucktail on jigs but if you have an interest in tying large streamers and saltwater teasers a quality vise will cost you about $85- 160.00 now. It should fit at least a size 3/0 hook and be able to rotate 360 degrees.

I use the Regal Rotary C-Clamp Vise
Rotary C-clamp vise offers 360° rotation for viewing flies at all angles

In jig tying the buck tail hair around the jig head, do it in steps.

The first step is to get some nylon, or Kevlar thread. Here is what I use.

Gudebrod KevlarŪ Thread Assortment Item:IA-319139 or you can use rod building thread. "D" size is heavier and makes a good choice.
With respect to tying treads......8/0 is for tiny flies and 3/0 is for larger fly tying.

Wrap a few turns of the thread around the jig head where the bucktail will go, and cover this wrapping with clear Gorilla Glue or other super glue.

Take a pinch of hair(half the diameter of a pencil), lay it against the glue and wrap a few turns of the thread around it. Then add another drop or two of glue, lay another pinch of hair against it, and tie a few more turns of thread around the hair.

Keep doing this until you build up a thick body of hair around the hook, concealing most of it except the point and the barb. It is a good idea to make up several pinches of hair in advance.

When you have the full amount of bucktail hair wound on the jig head, finish the jig tying by wrapping the rest of the thread as tightly as possible over the jig. Then end it by tying a series of half-hitches.
Finally, cover the thread wrapping with a heavy coat of clear quick-drying cement.

Last edited by Leif; 03-14-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Jig tying instructions.

Leif,

You mean that you finally got around to tying those jigs?
201-368-8751[/SIZE]
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

much easier to take several wraps on the body of the jig, take a clump of hair, put it on with about 2-3 good wraps, wet your fingers and rolls the hair around.. i would also not recommend glueing anything until the end.. if at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
much easier to take several wraps on the body of the jig, take a clump of hair, put it on with about 2-3 good wraps, wet your fingers and rolls the hair around.. i would also not recommend glueing anything until the end.. if at all.
You are full of s@&t. If don't you glue them they fall out. Obviously you have never tied or fished bucktails.

Leif
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Site Sponsor

Leif,
I think I'd take yours over the other guys...
201-368-8751[/SIZE]
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sinker Man
Leif,
I think I'd take yours over the other guys...

I'm with this guy.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
You are full of s@&t. If don't you glue them they fall out. Obviously you have never tied or fished bucktails.

Leif

i bet i have tied more, and probably longer then yourself and im probably 10 years younger.. i was making a statement and not busting on your way of doing things.. take the little stick out of yourself and relax... you DONT have to adhere them if you can tie a good bucktail.. you dont HAVE to even glue at all if you dont want to.. it SOMETIMES is easier to not glue so if you get all beat from different species you can just untie and tie again!

Your way is NOT THE ONLY WAY.. so keep working for the best of and take some criticism..
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Site Sponsor

From what I have read and heard from 99% of the guys on this site, some glue is better then none..I do not tie them , but IF I did I would want to make sure that they would stay together and not pull apart...But everyone is different and have different ways of doing things..If your way works for you then thats great, Leif has given some very good instructions on here on just about everything...and he is willing to share all his info...So lets not get into a BS match on here...
201-368-8751[/SIZE]