NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Float trip on the Big D and Beaverkill 4/19,20,21/13 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Float trip on the Big D and Beaverkill 4/19,20,21/13

Out Rt. 17 Friday afternoon over the Wallkill, over the Neversink, landing in Roscoe, Trout Town U.S.A.
I knew I didn’t have much time since it was after 3pm already, but this may be my only chance to fish clear water with the forecast of heavy rain so I didn’t waste much time and went to work on the Beaverkill at Sunoco pool. I got 4 chunky browns in short order and 1 littlin. To the amazement of the wand waver at the bottom of the pool, eyes like pie tins ! Off I went like Santa Clause on Christmas Eve. Driving to my next spot on the Beaverkill listining to the radio, TORNADO WATCH, great !! Jump in the water where Trout Brook comes into the Beaverkill. Great, wand wavers with cement shoes trying to cast into the swirling 25mph winds, a great site, I moved downstream. Working away with little time to spare and I’m reeling in trying to buck the wind when something comes up behind my lure and boils, and chases, and snaps, pow !! With 10 ft. out line out a fat 17” brown pounds my offerings, off to the races. Deepening black skies, time to get to Hancock after a quick catch and release.
Check in with Wilson, off to the Circle E diner. Back to the room then the rain starts, heavy at times, then ends. Wilson and I keep our fingers crossed.
Saturday morning meet up with our guide and float from Buckingham to Long Eddy. Water was rising, and getting very cloudy. Large tree branches float down the river along with a lot of leaves and weeds.
A few feisty smallmouth come to net, then nothing. Then drifting, casting, nothing. More drifting, more casting, a few smallmouth, hours go by, wind is HONKING and it is COLD. Streamside lunch. Back to work and I got one brown near a clear feeder stream. Wilson connects with a slob brown near Traci Lourdes bridge. Hours pass and we call it a day. Much like booking a saltwater fluke charter and the wind suddenly turns to the South, you know it’s gonna be bad but you go anyway. 1st bad trip with my guide in I think 6 years, and no fault of his. I think the East Branch was the culprit, major mud, and we heard the Beaverkill went way up also. The guide offered us a half day float Sunday afternoon but Wilson and I didn’t think conditions would change much in 18hrs give or take so we passed. Steak dinner at Lidia’s.
Sunday morning, frost on the cars, wind is honking, snow flurries. It is still very much winter up there. No one is cutting the grass, no buds on the trees, might as well by January by the looks of things.
Off to Roscoe, Trout Town, U.S.A. where the famous Roscoe diner doesn’t open until SEVEN AM on Sunday, sorry Wilson. We killed an hour window shopping in Roscoe and checking out the Willowemoc which was running high, breakfast. 1st stop after breakfast Cairns pool on the Beaverkill, we are the only people there, cold and windy. Our guides are freezing up but that didn’t stop us from putting a hurtin’ on some chunky browns, some fresh stocked, some holdovers. The stretch for the most part is no kill and artificials only. Bounced on a few spots, water was rippin’ ! Back to Sunoco pool where Wilson and I get a steady pick going and I got a nice Rainbow. He peels off after and hour or so to go back to Roscoe and hit some tackle shops, there are 3 in town. I go back down to where Trout Brook comes in and start working hard, sun is out and getting warmer. Workin’ it, workin’ it, no love. No mind since I had a HUGE adult Bald Eagle circle over me for about 3 minutes, worth the price of admission. Took to the long scenic way home along the river on 97, it was still muddy, oh well.
Fished the Beaverkill and the East and West Branch in N.Y and Penns Creek in Pa. and have yet to see the Big Flatbrook in New Jersey, go figure.

Just in : Andy, Here are some dates for trout in May and early June. 5/26,5/29,5/30,6/2,6/3,6/6,6/8,6/9................tight lines, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	57464  

Last edited by AndyS; 04-22-2013 at 07:37 AM..
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Float trip on the Big D and Beaverkill 4/19,20,21/13

Great report. I'm looking forward to salmon river this summer. I always find d it hard to fish these rivers do to ever changing conditions.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the great report, I knew fishing would be tough on the Big D this weekend end too but did it anyway went 6 for 7 on shad for about a combined 12 hours of my efforts. oh well still better than work
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the report...so jealous
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Old Soft Salt

Well I wanted to put up some pictures today from work but forgot my card reader. I'll get to it tonight

I do have one picture of ME from Andy's circa 1998 digital camera!

We did better on the Beaverkill on Sunday then on the big D on Saturday but not for lack of trying. Effing cold and windy, my two most hated weather conditions.

If you never heard Andy snore then your lucky

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	57496  

Last edited by Wilson; 04-22-2013 at 05:21 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice report. Familiar with the area. My friend has a house in Hancock town proper. Next time your up there think about a stop at the Equinunk Inn for a cold beer. Right off the Hancock Highway. Old time shot and beer place. Nice shot of a chunky smallmouth with the lordsville bridge in the background. Thanks for your report.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntcountypussbuck
Nice report. Familiar with the area. My friend has a house in Hancock town proper. Next time your up there think about a stop at the Equinunk Inn for a cold beer. Right off the Hancock Highway. Old time shot and beer place. Nice shot of a chunky smallmouth with the lordsville bridge in the background. Thanks for your report.
Huh????
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Float trip on the Big D and Beaverkill 4/19,20,21/13

Nice report guys. Great looking Brown Wilson!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I meant nice shot of a chunky "Brown Trout". That is a Monday morning 4:45am alarm waking you up mistake.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Roscoe cafe should of been open at 6a.m. , unless you had ur heart set on the diner?

Nice report and catch