NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spinning reel question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Spinning reel question

I need of a new spinning reel to go with a rod I picked up a few weeks ago. Trying to decided between a Shimano Stradic 4000 CI4 and a Daiwa Ballistic 3000.

Go
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Spinning reel question

Ipersonally would go with the stradic i have used them never owned one but each experiencewas a pleasent one i even used one bridge fishing a few times witch is usualy when they take a beating and never had a worry. My buddy who fished staals and zb's is always using his stradic and leaves the high end gear locked up just b.c he beats the hell outa it and its still in premo condition and has faith and its comfortable...mind you this reel gets used 7 nights a week. 9month's a yrs has been dunked dropped and filled with sand and continues to kick ass
Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

For me I like the bait runner feature... I got the Shimano 8000D. It's a big improvement over the 4500 series that I had a lot of issues with.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I haven't fished either reel but I have fooled around with both a bunch at work. I decided to pull the trigger on a few ballistics. I'm going with the 4000 for stripers and blues and the 2500 for fluke and other smaller stuff.

I felt like the Ballistic was a little heavier duty. Doubt you can go wrong with either reel though. In thereel sizes you are comparing the Shimano has a much higher drag rating
Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had both the Ballistic 3000 and 4000 as well as the Stradic 4000 on the rod I plan on matching it with. The Ballistic 3000 balanced better with the rod than the 4000. The Stradic 4000 also balanced well-thus my dilemma in deciding between the 2. I already have a pair of Stradics and never had any major problems with them. I also have several Daiwa BG spinning reels that are still going strong that I bought in the late 80's.

Rod I'm going to match the reel with is a 7' GLoomis GL2 LR844S with MH action, rated for #10-20 line with a recommended lure weight of 3/8-2 1/4 ounces.

Plan to use for bucktailing fluke in the bay, channels and inshore, clamming bass in the back bay and tossing soft plastics & other assorted small baits for albies.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I went with the Penn baitrunner type.. think its the spinfisher?? to cold out to go back in the shed and look,later on that, but I have to buy a reel that matches my rod colors... so I have black red and gold...Penn won... but it is a hell of a reel, I use my large model for tossing livies and throwing big ass poppers from shallow to canyons with no prob w #50 red pp~ coming up on my 3rd season.

side note:
Happy birthday Skolmann!!!
www.quality1stcompanies.com

Last edited by dfish28; 03-01-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Depending on what you want to do with it..... look at the Shimano Saragosa too. These reels are landing tons of tuna for the guys who are using them.

Both reels you mentioned are good reels. Stradic is a great reel. The "Gosa" is an option, not far off the price range. They are quickly fitting in where the guys dont want to buy the Stellas, because of the expanse.

I assume you wanted input on the 2 you mentioned, so I say Stradic..... or possibly the Saragosa, if you have not looked at that model yet.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How about the canyon

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.