NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rod cost? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Rod cost?

Every now and then someone posts the $64 question, "what rod should I get"?
sounds good to me.
Here are a few typical answers, "brand X model 70X", brand Z model 66MH, box store '.....' has them on sale", go see this guy '.....' he is a custom builder". While all the answers must be respected, are those opinions actually based on the best value for the MONEY ? .
That is to say, is a $60 Ugly Stick a better rod than a $250 rod. Common cent$ would dictate that more money buys a better product. The fact is, fishing rods don't always work that way.
At $50-100 you are looking at a rod that is made in China and is built to specs based on MOQ's [minimum order quantities per unit] The rod factory offers a particular rod to a company for a price assuming they buy at least 100 per unit, the cost will drop at say 500 per unit and so on.
What I have found is that a new wave of rods has hit the US shores in the past few years that reflect a much higher cost, and not much higher quality or value. The Tuna jig market is the best example, and there are others as well. Now we are talking $300-700 retail, and I ask myself, what is a person receiving for such a high cost?
The advertising states the same message that has been used since the 1980's.
"the rod blank has a magical, secret ingredient within, that ad's a great cost to the rod. The components on the rod are not the best by any stretch of the imagination. One very popular brand, and others, in the $200-300 range feature, that's right they feature, a particular "ring guide" brand that that begins to rust in a very short time frame. When "rusting" starts on metal, it doesn't stop. The same guide is fastened to the rod with "sub par" epoxy techniques. The average "beginner" rod builder hobbiest will do a better job on his first few builds than most of these high cost factory rods.
Structural integrity? that is the characteristic of most factory rods that you will not see until the rod is purchased, and within a short time, "the rod tip broke", the "reel seat has dislodged from its binding and now spinning in circles", "the gimbal has broken loose", the "high end" rod blank snapped in half and the one they replaced it with broke as well". The factory that does not glue the cheap rod correctly, rarely glues the high priced rod any better as they employ the same techniques. My opinion here is that for $50-100 it may not come to much of a surprise, but at $200 and higher, everything should hold together, and last for a long, long time.
The question should be, "What am I getting for my money/?"
any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Rod cost?

A well built custom rod can last you a lifetime. In many cases you are only looking at a small if any price difference and you get something that is unique to you. At the same time you are supporting small businesses which are the life blood of our local economy. Win-Win.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Well said Kevin. I agree with many points that you have made. When I see these $350-$500 OEM rods and the guys jumping all over them,...... I used to get a little down, wonder what the hell the rest of us were doing wrong. BUT.... lately I have realized..... these same gys are coming back a year later, looking for a new rod to replace the junk they bought last year! Now, rather than let it bother me... I look at it as a future customer.

None of these manufacturers are going to match the work a true rod builder is doing . While on this topic... the guys who dont even build their own rods, yet claim to be an expert on rod building.... they are just as bad in my book! Guys like yourself that have been building for ages , will always outlast the fads and marketing gimmicks.

I am curious what the fisherman has to say about this though! Anybody??
Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tom, you are right. After about a year they realize that they got hosed, and you see a lot of guys selling their Chinese rods on classifieds and ebay.
Your price point on your rods is an excellent value for a product that not only looks great, but will no doubt last for years.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

After years of spending lots of money on rods, I now have a Bogan rod for fluke/seabass, a Garone rod for Blackfish and a Jersey Jigger for about every thing else. Tony at Jersey Coast is going to build my next rod (tilefish).

So Tommy tell Tony, Bob Foley is due in.

Last edited by Ryelof; 01-27-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Rod cost?

The $64.00 question
For the amount of work you guys( Kevin,Tom,Mike) do in creating rods that will last a life time, they are not much more then what it cost to build one yourself. But they stand behind their work, Thanks for being sponsors and sharing your knowledge

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree that a lot of factory rods that are made Offshore are crap . Due to price fixing a lot of people are paying twice what the rods (and some reels) are worth. Big names , bells , and whistles sell product . I feel that a rod fitted to your needs from a good shop that you can go in and bend a few blanks and have plenty of options is better than most factory rods . I would rather have a rod that lasts for years than follow a fad. When the time comes for a rewrap or repair I like the fact that I can go back to the shop and they will take care of it . Kevin has taken care of my rods even though it was my fault and not a defect .

Last edited by Ol Pedro; 01-28-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have a Bogan Rod 4-5 yrs old that has an Avet LX mounted on it for trolling tuna, You can't beat a custom rod, looking forward for another at the Somerset show.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Rod cost?

I have 2 rods built by a "K.B." that some of us know about. Couldn't ask for any thing better. Worth every cent I paid and I really don't know him so I am not endorsing a friend.
I also have an outstanding rod from a guy on Long Island who makes them under the name of Capt. N.F. Unbelievably sensitive and I get about every fluke who sniffs at my baits or jigs.

IF you can afford the higher price AND you fish more than the occasional weekend you owe it to yourself to try a custom made rod as I have found there is a profound difference.

Feel free to PM me if you need help deciphering the identities of either craftsman.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Now let's get down to the nitti gritti. If the custom rod snaps when you are for example trying to break loose from being stuck on the bottom what is the warranty?