NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rod cost? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rod cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman View Post
Now let's get down to the nitti gritti. If the custom rod snaps when you are for example trying to break loose from being stuck on the bottom what is the warranty?
Frugal, great question. Most rods that I build for inshore fisheries average about $150-200. They usually have very basic wraps to help keep the cost down, but nothing is sacrificed with the quality of the components. in fact the rod should last about 20 years or more.
Here is a fact, fishing rods do break at times, for whatever reason. My warranty on all rods, at any price is this. If the rod snaps in half, I will replace it for one third the cost. You can buy a killer Fluke, Striper or Blackfish rod, A FISH POISON for $149, with your name and a fish decal of your choice. If it breaks, I'll replace it for $50 cant beat that
Curious what the warranty is on rods that cost $250-400? If the salesperson might suggest that "it was your fault", well then, you don't have a good warranty.
another fact, breakage is RARE with a Fish Poison rod.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

OK Kevin. That is a good warranty. Even though some storeboughts are garenteed against breakage by the time you pay to ship them back and forth it is hardly worth it.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As far as warrantees go I guarantee my rods against workmanship defects. If a rod breaks after the first time out ( if it breaks on the first fish that is a different story) and the customer would like to have a replacement made I will salvage the components I can from broken rod and wrap the replacement for at the same rate as a new rod minus the cost of the reused components. If the blank manufacturer warrantees the blank the cost of the blank is also subtracted from the build cost. The fact is that as a single man operation I cannot afford to wrap replacement rods for nothing especially when I have 10-30 hours in a rod. I would go out of business in no time. Personally I believe these no questions asked warrantees have and still are destroying the industry. I work at an outdoor store part time and see guys come in with rods that are broken and when you hear what you were doing that broke it you want to slap them. It's like taking a Honda Civic offroading and then doing to the dealer expecting a new car when the suspension is destroyed. I have also heard some a$$holes even say I wanted a new one so I broke it and sent it back to so and so and they sent me the new model for a few $ shipping. That being said in the 9 years I have been building and hundreds of rods under my belt only 2 that I have built broke while fishing.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If someone breaks a rod trying to get unstuck from the bottom he is an idiot.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrazz View Post
If someone breaks a rod trying to get unstuck from the bottom he is an idiot.
THIS is why you rule Mick! Bwahahaha!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman View Post
OK Kevin. That is a good warranty. Even though some storeboughts are garenteed against breakage by the time you pay to ship them back and forth it is hardly worth it.
often they want a replacement charge, $60-80, plus shipping, and sometimes they send you the next best model.