NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

7' rod for party boat tuna - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default 7' rod for party boat tuna

I'll be fishing on the head boats for tuna for the first time, I fished on my own boat with 6 1/2 Ft rods, but Sandy took the boat.

I researched and see some guys like 6 or 6 1/2 rods, does 7' make a difference.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 7' rod for party boat tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr2c View Post
I'll be fishing on the head boats for tuna for the first time, I fished on my own boat with 6 1/2 Ft rods, but Sandy took the boat.

Thanks in advance.
For chunking off party boats I prefer 7'. I use the rail so the extra length doesn't make it harder on me. I like the extra length because it allows you to keep the line further away from the hull of the boat if the fish goes under the boat or if it is in its death circle. It also allows you to move the fish a little further with each pump of the rod.

There are a lot of guys out on the west coast who are using the rail to catch monster 300+ pound yellowfin and they are mostly using 6'6"-7'3" rods.

I have several models in lengths from 5'5" to 7'3" for tuna that will fit a variety of budgets and also personal preferences starting @ $300 fully customized to you.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
stay with the 6' rods..
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm with Mike. If you are PB fishing for tuna, 7 or even a couple of inches longer is helpful to clear the hull, which is a major reason for lost fish on PB.
I started out with 6' Calstar and moved up to 7' UC viper and find the extra length really helpful.
As far as longer rods giving better leverage to fish, it doesn't matter as I rail the rod and crank away and it's game over.
I say go with 7" blank, Fuji HB guides, and a rail friendly foregrip and you'd be all set.
I'm sure Mike can set you up with that very nicely.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

RVR,7' has been the popular length on our party boats since the late 80's, and hasn't changed. You can build a killer chunk/jig stick out of eglass for around $200. I build Calstar graphiters for $300 range if you want to employ graphite.
Many party boat deckhands like them longer 7'6" and 8'. They get more motion in the jig, helps to keep the line away from the boat, and there are fewer pulled hooks. These rods start at $225 +. The 7' I think is the best call.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the replies, Kevin, I have a rod that you made for me for an Avet LX for trolling several years ago, love it, but Sandy took that too.

I'm looking for a rod that will match up with an Okuma Makaira 30ll SEA, from what I've read on the party boats 30 & 50's are a go.

Hope to see you guys at the Somerset show.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, Kevin, I have a rod that you made for me for an Avet LX for trolling several years ago, love it, but Sandy took that too.

I'm looking for a rod that will match up with an Okuma Makaira 30ll SEA, from what I've read on the party boats 30 & 50's are a go.

Hope to see you guys at the Somerset show.
I really like the Makaira SEa's, looking to add one or two to my personal arsenal. If you havent purchased the reel yet I would go with the 20 (a narrow version of the 30). It is in between the size of most 30's and 50's and has a narrower spool which I really like because it is easier to level the line and is more stable when cranking. When I save up and get the 20 I am going to have it spooled with the new Seaguar Threadlock hollow core 130# with about 100 yards of 100# mono topshot.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garone Custom Rods View Post
I really like the Makaira SEa's, looking to add one or two to my personal arsenal. If you havent purchased the reel yet I would go with the 20 (a narrow version of the 30). It is in between the size of most 30's and 50's and has a narrower spool which I really like because it is easier to level the line and is more stable when cranking. When I save up and get the 20 I am going to have it spooled with the new Seaguar Threadlock hollow core 130# with about 100 yards of 100# mono topshot.
My mistake it's the 30 SE, they don't have the open bearings and some other minor stuff as the SEA, all other features are the same.
Would like the 20 but I got such a great deal on the 30 I couldn't pass it up (NIB ).
some great reviews on the Thread Lock hollow, LR guys are using it 130 - 100 with top shots for cows.

I have a Mak 10ll & 15ll they are powerful reels.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If your heading to the AC Boat Show, stop by the Canyon Reels booth and take a look at the rods we have there. We have both a 6' and a 7' rod, made for exactly this. PB Tuna Fishing!

We have moved away from the faster actions, using a rod more like the so called "parabolic jigging rods" for this type of fishing. ( yes, all rods are parabolic, so this is a term used to describe even curves these days)

The rods we are building are offering a more comfortable experience for the angler, taking the pressure off the fisherman, placing it on the fish. I started using longer rods for jigging a few years back and was mocked by the "jig n pop king" for doing so, but since...... it seems more builders have gone longer in length, including the king himself.

We cant all use shorter rods, so getting that nice slow, even curve in a longer rod has been very popular and working well.

To be fair.... Kevin Bogan has never moved away form the longer lengths... he has stuck by them all along! I want to make sure he gets credit for this!!

Look at the JCT Rods, or the 7' Rods on our site, the shop, or at the boat show. We will also be at The Expo in March over in Somerset too. The 7' rods are being used as far south as Texas, Florida, and all along the Gulf area now. More popular down there, than in NJ because of the hold a few people have on the marketing up our way.