NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Proper braided line installation - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Proper braided line installation

I've been using braided line in one form or another, dacron, spectra, dyneema since late 1980's. I was one of the first to convert while still chartering on LK O. It was perfect for hi lining & planer board applications. It allowed the use lighter tackle sans smaller reels by increaseing their capacity. One of it's major pitfalls when I first started was the recogntion of setting the reels drag to conform to the strength & lack of stretch for this new line,backed off about 10% worked out well. Lot less hook pulls with the big guys.
Insalltion of this braid on reels today is still somewhat misunderstood ,however most now realize, this line "must" be insatalled under pressure to gain proper perfromance. If not the line can bite into itself and lock up your reel probably fighting a big fish. So whetehr spooling a spinner or conventional , alwyas do so under pressure, I use a HD leather glove so the line does not cut my hands.
Another method some use is to install best you can then let the line back out from a moving boat ,reel in and you should be go to go. Even when tightening in this manner add some thumb pressure to get it tight!
You can bear down quite heavily, there's no stretch like mono that could crush your reel spool .
Always use some form of backing ,or tie solidly to the reels CP, the braid is slick and will spin on your spool is not locked in place from the start. Most like myself prefer the backing to minimize line space so you can put on what you actually require & hold down costs. Of course when fishing certain species like Tuna you may want to fill spool.
Once properly installed you cast better, and lessen worries about losing a big fish due to poor or inproper braid installiton.