NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The "Best of 2016" thread - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: The "Best of 2016" thread

2016 was a pretty good fishing year for me. I was lucky to have the opportunity to fish often with great friends, which is what it's all about. Caught several new species (alligator gar, sturgeon, flathead cats, Tiger trout) and a few personal bests (hybrid, walleye, stream brown trout, brown trout in general, carp, landlocked salmon). In total, I caught about 53 different fresh and saltwater species on rod and reel in 2016. Here is my year in review:

Freshwater:

Started out the year jigging walleyes and carp as bycatch from the legendary tin can with Chrisper. I had never ice fished before, and once there was safe ice Chrisper taught me how to successfully ice fish. Though the season was short, I managed northern pike, pickerel, muskie and various panfish.

As the season progressed, Chrisper and I continued the assault on NJ'S freshwater critters, both from land and from the fish catching machine known as the tin can. Trips were interspersed with pike and trout fishing, and walleye and hybrids at night. I took a c couple of out of state trips for alligator gar and sturgeon, and crossed those off the bucket list. Summer was dedicated to spending a lot of time targeting flatheads, with pretty good success. Fall meant pike, muskie, hybrids and a bunch of nice brown trout along with snakeheads and peacock bass in Florida. Ended the season with a successful fly trip for steelhead and browns.

Saltwater:

Saltwater started out with big stripers,* followed by my first time targeting threshers, which was a success. I had a handful of Canyon trips, catching yellowfin, mahi, sharks and bigeye tuna. Took a trip down to South Florida and got sails, mahi, kings, cobia, barracuda, blackfin tuna and a bunch of skippies and false albacore. Ended the season with stripers and tog.

Here are some pics.