NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Stocking Trout - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Stocking Trout

The fall trout stocking program gets underway next week and the barrels into which they will be dumped are ready. Have you seen the river levels lately? Oh my! There is some promise that early next week we will have some substantial rain from a storm now forming in the Gulf of Mexico. We certainly need whatever water Mother Nature can supply otherwise the trout will be tossed into streams giving them little chance of ever swimming more than a few yards up or down stream. They might as well be put into barrels. It's no secret where the fish will be. Just find any deep hole near a stocking point and have at it.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Stocking Trout

Just hit one of the MANY scum hole duck ponds that will be stocked with these big trout.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Stocking Trout

Wow it's already next week. I can see it now, those spots I scouted on the NB... ah it's wonderful... it's me not catching any trout! HAHA

Ill just excuse myself fishing for smallies with mini floating rapalas and jigs.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'll be out there doing a rain dance.
If you see someone on the shoreline wearing a loincloth and feathers dancing around in a circle , please don't call the Park Police.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Stocking Trout

The cormorants cant wait! Unfortunately !!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Always look forward to the fall trout stocking but I really do think that if the water levels aren't good they should wait until will get some rain. I know its all about a schedule and clearing out the runways etc but the river levels are POOR right now.

Last edited by BT67; 10-04-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Without a doubt, there will be happy fishermen next week. That is the intention of the fall program. The fall is a beautiful time to be in the outdoors and, for one, I like to explore and experience as much of it as I can. That involves shuffling downstream often into more remote or less accessible locations. Unfortunately, with the low water flows, very, very few trout will ever have a chance to swim beyond the bridge and roadside pools into which they were thrown.

Maybe some of the volunteers will take some time to spread the trout and not just dump their nets into the holes. Or, as was suggested, wait a bit longer.

Those of you who fish in the lower stretches of the bigger streams may not notice how low the upper stretches are. If you fish the upper stretches of the NB, SB, Flatbrook or Musky, you may find that your favorite hip-deep spring run barely covers your ankles. Be prepared by having a plan B in mind. Fish on!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I know there are some TU groups out there that do help with spreading the fish out some and take care in releasing them. That being said if we don't get some rain, fish will be stacked up wherever they're thrown(literally)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Just hit one of the MANY scum hole duck ponds that will be stocked with these big trout.
Take it easy on the scum hole duck ponds, I happened to pull my PB Bow out of one of them last Feb. Having a local pond stocked with fall breeders provides me and many others who don't have access to good trout streams the ability to fish (and catch) through the winter (I.e maintain sanity through the long cold months)....
Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
Take it easy on the scum hole duck ponds, I happened to pull my PB Bow out of one of them last Feb. Having a local pond stocked with fall breeders provides me and many others who don't have access to good trout streams the ability to fish (and catch) through the winter (I.e maintain sanity through the long cold months)....
Amen, brother.