NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout streams CLOSED March 20th: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Trout streams CLOSED March 20th:

Trout streams CLOSED March 20, 2017 to April 8th at 8:00am. Wild Trout Streams and Trout Conservation areas like the Ken Lockwood Gorge are open year round to fishing with certain rules. Some lakes remain open year round to trout fishing like Round Valley. PLEASE read the New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Digest for all the rules. If you see someone fishing in a known closed area you can call the local Conservation Officer.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout streams CLOSED March 20th:

Dunno if this # still works but its one of three i have saved in my phone...This one is labeled as game thief...1-855-648-8477....got it off a f&w sign a few yrs back.... Havent had to use it yet
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just a suggestion, if you see someone fishing in a closed water be it pond, lake or stream, you may want to try starting with a friendly offering of advice before calling a C.O.
I've done this many times with pretty good success. Generally I approach the person(s) and strike up a conversation by asking how they're doing. Then I'll mention that this water body is presently closed to fishing until the trout season opener.
Over the years I've gotten many different reactions to this, mostly the 'I didn't know' line, occasionally the 'But I'm not fishing for trout', and very rarely the arrogant 'If you're not a game warden then maybe you should mind your own F'ing business!" When I get the last one then I promptly call the C.O. and report the individual(s) along with clothing descriptions, vehicle descriptions and tag numbers if possible, and I do so out of sight of the A-holes who I just tried to keep from getting ticketed.
Usually though I get a sorry and often a thank you when I explain that I just want to try to prevent someone from getting ticketed, especially if I truly believe they didn't know the regs.
A perfect example of this latter occurred last spring on the Flatbrook. It was a Friday morning, a Closed stocking day on the Flatbrook, and as I'm driving up the road I see a gent fly fishing right beside the road. I pulled over and chatted with him. He claimed to be totally unaware of the closure which I had to believe since he was literally 3 feet from the only road through the area. I informed him of the regs, he thanked me wholeheartedly and we both went our separate ways. Educating a fellow angler and saving them from an unnecessary ticket I think is far better than taking up a C.O.'s time to do that job.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Trout streams CLOSED March 20th:

I keep extra F&G Fishing Digests in my car to hand out if I see someone fishing in a closed area and try to inform that person of the rules and regulations.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I keep extra F&G Fishing Digests in my car to hand out if I see someone fishing in a closed area and try to inform that person of the rules and regulations.
Now that's a good idea! Gonna have to pick up a few extras.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'll probably catch some flak for fishing an unstocked stream near a stocked river point for suckers haha. I can picture the argument now.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've done the same fer bass....and been told to leave but never ticketed..was always obvious with my gear that i wasnt targeting trout