NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

UV user reviews ?????????????????? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default UV user reviews ??????????????????

Heres mine.
Had a pretty decent year catching fluke this summer. used the UV blast jigs a bunch and did catch fish on them, BUT no where near the amount I caught on white and glow white.
I used it on bright sunny days, clean water , discolored water, cloudy days.
Didnt find it to really work as well as I had hoped it would.

And I really gave it some serious effort

Will say the paint held up REALLY well to the constant bouncing in the ruff stuff.

May try it over some different colors instead of just over the plain lead , since I have some left.

Anyone else have any better input

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: UV user reviews ??????????????????

I too used UV paint on fluke this summer and still not sure if it works as well as I had hoped.
I did catch fish on each outing, but not many more than what I usually catch.
So it's difficult to come to a conclusion at this point.
I used the uv paint over white or white/chartreuse combo and used 6" swimming mullet in white or pink shine.
I feel that my catches had more to do with gulp than uv paint.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not surprised. ... if you go back to many of the posts on this uv topic.... you will see that I always talked about the difference between UV and UV Glow. ( it's not the same thing) UV Blast takes the color of the jig away because it over powers the spectrum and it's does what it's names says.. puts out a huge blast of UV.

You need that balance between the glow from your jig and just enough UV to really get the right effect. I will find the threads and put the link up. That's why I said back then it took 3 seasons to perfect it the regular uv stuff kills the color of the jig. No fish looks like that uv blast or just a uv paint. It's way too much uv and not enough of the original color ...

I don't want to make it a commercial for a certain brand again.... but all of the info is in the old threads. I am trying to get them to sell just the finish.. but it's so involved and expensive.... i don't think the average guy will buy it ...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went through a ton of jigs coated with uv blast. And a bunch with no uv. I never had a day where it was lights out catching so I cannot compare very well but in my opinion I wasted a lot of time and money on the uv top coating. But I do love the way the uv blast makes the colors stand out on my jigs. And it adds some extra durability to the jig. I will be testing more this fall on the stripers with a bunch of jigs I have made.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
I'm not surprised. ... if you go back to many of the posts on this uv topic.... you will see that I always talked about the difference between UV and UV Glow. ( it's not the same thing) UV Blast takes the color of the jig away because it over powers the spectrum and it's does what it's names says.. puts out a huge blast of UV.

You need that balance between the glow from your jig and just enough UV to really get the right effect. I will find the threads and put the link up. That's why I said back then it took 3 seasons to perfect it the regular uv stuff kills the color of the jig. No fish looks like that uv blast or just a uv paint. It's way too much uv and not enough of the original color ...

I don't want to make it a commercial for a certain brand again.... but all of the info is in the old threads. I am trying to get them to sell just the finish.. but it's so involved and expensive.... i don't think the average guy will buy it ...
Tommy is right about the uv blast ---in regards to overpowering standard glow--if used on a base white color the effect can be good on certain days
but will and can decrease a standard luminescent glow..one way i found to top coat glow is to thin the UV BLAST with a standard acrylic clear sealer at a ratio of 3 parts acrylic 1 part uv blast.
Another method i found works ok is to just put a strip at the bottom or on top of the jig and leave the rest your base color.
It is expensive and very ,very time consuming to do uv i have found it does help on certain days but for my product line the benefit doesn't justify the cost to my end users. Just too labor and material expensive. The offshore and chinese producers of Uv jigs have a big advantage over US guys who try to do UV..they have significantly lower material cost and the shipping here is considered hazardous material so freight in large quantities is very high.
I have noticed in my experiments with uv that only sunny days in a much clearer water does it do well..cloudy days or cloudy water the standard glow has outproduced every time..i might be wrong but i think the uv is activated better in and on sunny clear water days.

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com

Last edited by PALMERS TACKLE; 09-13-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALMERS TACKLE View Post
Tommy is right about the uv blast ---in regards to overpowering standard glow--if used on a base white color the effect can be good on certain days
but will and can decrease a standard luminescent glow..one way i found to top coat glow is to thin the UV BLAST with a standard acrylic clear sealer at a ratio of 3 parts acrylic 1 part uv blast.
Another method i found works ok is to just put a strip at the bottom or on top of the jig and leave the rest your base color.
It is expensive and very ,very time consuming to do uv i have found it does help on certain days but for my product line the benefit doesn't justify the cost to my end users. Just too labor and material expensive. The offshore and chinese producers of Uv jigs have a big advantage over US guys who try to do UV..they have significantly lower material cost and the shipping here is considered hazardous material so freight in large quantities is very high.
I have noticed in my experiments with uv that only sunny days in a much clearer water does it do well..cloudy days or cloudy water the standard glow has outproduced every time..i might be wrong but i think the uv is activated better in and on sunny clear water days.

Tony hit it on the head. Sunny bright days will work best. I also agree with Tony about the strips and maybe a pattern with the UV Blast stuff too .

You do not want to drown out the jig so its glowing violet and no other colors coming through. That is where the jig makers who know the deal here are doing better than others.. But as Tony said... its a botch and eats up so much time.

Use the "UV Index" for sun burn. Weather people always give the UV Index with the reports. They rate it on a scale of 1-10. The sun is our biggest producer of UV Rays. The stronger it is..... the better it reflects.

I did the UV thing for about 3.5 years.... I can tell you I saw a big difference. Maybe its the type of fishing I did..... I dont know. But UV Blast is going to over power the jig and needs to be weakened or less of it used on the jig for maybe a belly stripe or something as Mr. Palmer has mentioned.

1st pic here of skirts, you can still see the patterns and colors for msot part.

2nd photo here, you see how the UV formula over powers all of the color or pattern. It has totally blocked out the black viking jig below. This is too much...
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Used a series of UV deepwater jigs offshore cod / pollock etc. only 6 trips I could jig ,however the jigs caught especiaally up North. However I was not convinced there any better at this point than regular jigs Ive been usuing since others on board did as well with std chrome/ colors.
So very inconclusive at this point & the water was 140 to over 250' & I believe the darker rough days I did as well with the UV as on good weqather days.
I believe the proper jiggging action is far more important than the UV , but hell this can all change !
Friends on GT Lks fishery seem to think they r on equal footing with glo at this point. I always prferred the glo first light & late eve into night for salmon. but they never really wer my go to lure since plain old chrome J took as many fish inder those conditions!