NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

question about the 6-pak license - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default question about the 6-pak license

It says 360 total days and up to 100 miles off shore ....but how can they tell if youve had a total of 360 days out on the water ?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: question about the 6-pak license

Basically proof up to u ! Used to have the boat owners that u performed UR sea time with sign off on papers u submit to CC .
However took my license long time ago in mid seventies so not familiar with this aspect today.
I know guys who worked with me during charter days had me sign off on their apps for sea duty hours.
Capt Frank on this board I bieve teaches the course today, he would be the guy to ask !i
Old 06-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: question about the 6-pak license

You could have another licensed captain sign off for you or, if you own your own boat, you can document your own hours on a Small Vessel Sea Service Form. You will however need proof of ownership of the boat so copies of title, registration, insurance bill etc.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 06-13-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: question about the OUPV 6-pack license

As they said, it's self documenting on your own boat.

With someone else's boat, they sign off on an affidavit of the seadays in that month and year and on what size boat you were on and where run.

Size of boat matters as it is key to Master's tonnage ratings you are ultimatley elligible for.

The USCG forms looks at # of sea days in that month/year you did it. Not exact date and time. Download the form you will see. And on another's boat the same stuff, boat description, where boat runs to classigy you in the ratings.

OUPV has no tonnage ratings and is in my opinion the harder exam. In addition to NJ and NY Boater Safety Certif course I also do USCG test tutoring there for that same reason. It's a tough exam. Especially the navigation part. I had advantage as an engineer back in the day with knowledge of vectors. Otherwise it very very tough.

My OUPV was self taught( no internet then- just floppy disks) with Houston Marine and the final OUPV exam was at USCG in Battery Park. My Masters USCG upgrade was with a NJ Fishing.Com Sponsor's on line course.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: question about the 6-pak license

I also belive there's something in the rules where if on a commercial boat you can log everyday counting as 2 when out to sea...my mind is fogy onwhat i was told but might be something worth looking into