NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

catfish bait - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default catfish bait

I know chicken parts and fish are preferred but has anyone had luck with commercial packaged bait--I have seen it stores but not sure if one is better than another--don't want to keep chicken parts around since my work schedule changes and I may only go once in a while--would rather have something on hand--also do you use the lightest weight to get to the bottom--fishing a small lake no current and usually no wind at dusk when I will be going--thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: catfish bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtman
I know chicken parts and fish are preferred but has anyone had luck with commercial packaged bait--I have seen it stores but not sure if one is better than another--don't want to keep chicken parts around since my work schedule changes and I may only go once in a while--would rather have something on hand--also do you use the lightest weight to get to the bottom--fishing a small lake no current and usually no wind at dusk when I will be going--thanks
Maybe the commercial stuff produces, don't know, never tried. Chicken Livers and ripe (meaning slightly spoiled raw shrimp) have produced best for me in NJ. When I was younger and used to run a lot to trout and limb lines in TN, we used to catch small sunnies and hook them in the back.

I think worms still work
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dip baits and stink baits will work in a lake for channel cats.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's been a long time since I bought one of those tubs of stinkbait they used to sell at Ray's Sport Shop. I can't remember the brand name, but I do recall it working. The baits were just unpleasant to handle. I guess they don't rot in the tub. Or maybe they do rot and I never noticed the change in the stench.

I suppose anything dropped near a catfish will get his attention. They're not fussy eaters.

I froze chicken livers and they seemed fine after I defrosted them. That may be a viable option to buying a commercial stinkbait,

Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I think I'll try the chicken livers and freeze what I don't use--stinkbait in a tube sounds like more of a hassle--I recall seeing bait that looked like hot dogs in a resealable tub not sure where to find it but looked easier than a tube to use--thanks-- I'll let you know how I made out
Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Keep the chicken livers in the freezer, when you go fishing put them in warm water. By the time you get to your fishing hole they will be ready to fish TIGHT LINES
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

worms work just as good, so do hotdogs, dead shiners/herring, fish chunks, chicken livers, anything really. The preferred bait is usually what u can throw from shore and not lose off your hook, if from a boat its alot easier. U can also chum em a little bit, toss a few tiny pieces of whatever in the area ur fishing to get them feeding and moving around
Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Old Soft Salt

I'm guessing most might be a little too young (except Flatcreek) to remember Jerry Clower doing the Magic Bait in a bag for catfish TV commercials.
And remember it's not for human consumption

Make sure you have a receipt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinky.jpg
Views:	2563
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	63351  

Last edited by Wilson; 08-24-2013 at 04:55 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Anything with a prominent odor will attract and catch catfish. That's why some people catch them on soap.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I've been giving myself a crash course in catfishing for the past two months. While chicken livers do indeed bring the cats in, they have several drawbacks, the largest of which is how much of a pain they are to rig well and keep on the line. I've also tried several packaged baits and gotten squat.

I've been having great success with hot dogs and sausages. To be very specific, I caught a 30" channel cat on a piece of apple-chicken sausage a few weeks ago and then just picked up a package of Oscar Meyer bacon dogs the other day for the highly scientific reason that they were on sale. Hit the tiny town pond the other day at 5 pm and the cats were just hammering it. Caught three 15-20" channel cats and got 5-10 other rod-bending hits that missed in only an hour or two of fishing.

So, I'd suggest buying a package or two of hot dogs to start. If you don't have luck with those, try the much messier (translation: disgusting) chicken liver approach. Bring a towel though... and don't leave it in your car afterwards. Chicken livers and their blood just reek after only a few hours in the heat... they also attract flies almost the second you open the lid. Gross with a capital G.

Last but not least, doesn't hurt to pick up one of those little Y-shaped rod holders at Dick's. I got a couple that telescope from about 12" to 3-feet when you pull them open. Cost a few bucks but it keeps me from getting impatient and moving the bait every couple minutes...

Good luck! I'm taking my last few bacon doggies for a swim momentarily, so let's go get 'em!

Mike