NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Asian Clams, Corbicula fluminea, blooms of bright green algae - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Asian Clams, Corbicula fluminea, blooms of bright green algae

In the last few years Asian clams have spread to many streams and lakes in north NJ. I was at a lake yesterday where they have invaded the lake ove the past 4 years and the bright green algae bloom taking over the lake that is normaly clear at this time of year. Las week I was in a stream that feeds into the Rockaway river, Stoney Brook in boonton TWP and there were millions of the clams just under the surface of the sand and gravel. I guess we can thank Hurricane Irene for spreading them last fall to many more places faster.

Right after reaching maturity these clams produce eggs, followed by sperm. Even later, they produce eggs and sperm simultaneously. They can self-fertilize, and release up to 2,000 juveniles per day, and more than 100,000 in a lifetime. Juveniles are only 1 mm long when discharged, and take one to four years to reach maturity. At this time they are about one centimeter long. Adults can reach a length of about 5 cm

Waste from the clams, in turn, has helped trigger blooms of bright green algae".[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...a_fluminea.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbicula_fluminea
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Asian Clams, Corbicula fluminea, blooms of bright green algae

i see them around as well, but i have to ask where you read that they cause algae blooms? clams and other filter feeders remove more organics from the water column than they expel in waste and so therefore actually prevent algae blooms.

example is the great lakes, which currently are about the clearest they have been on record, thanks to zebra mussels filtering everything out.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Asian Clams, Corbicula fluminea, blooms of bright green algae

Yes they filter the water but the Asian clams fecal matter contains high amounts of ammonia like fertilizer. Google lake George Asian clams. They showed up there one or two years ago. Big $$ being spent to keep them out of the lake. Blue waters could be green soon. They are good to eat from what i have read, but i will not from most nj waters. Bait bucket water and aquarium dumping is on reason they have spread so fast.