NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Stone Tavern Lake 7/22 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Stone Tavern Lake 7/22

Hit Stone Tavern Lake for the first time this morning. We fished there from 5:00 am to 8:15 am throwing topwaters. We had a good bite for the first hour then it slowly died. Last 1/2 hour was virtually dead. We had 15 bass and 2 sunfish between the 2 of us. That's 17 fish in a little over 3 hours. Big fish was a 2lb. bass again. Not bad for a new lake. One thing I like about this lake is that it gets almost no pressure. There were only 2 boats there yesterday afternoon and we were the only people on the lake this morning. Assunpink, which is about one mile away, is almost always crowded no matter what the conditions are. A good morning of fishing for sure.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Stone Tavern Lake 7/22

On Wednesday (20th) I hit Rising Sun in the morning for a few hours on my yak. I was the only one on the lake till about 9-10am. Got skunked for the 1st time ever there. Went over to Stone Tavern and fished the shore for about 20 mins and landed a 2lber. Saw loads of bass jumping all over the lake. There was only 3 boats out there. Then I hit Assunpink. Unloaded my yak towards the back of the lake, right before the lake turns into a weed field. Fished there for about 2 hours. Had some real nice hits and saw what looked to be around a 4lber come out of the water when it attacked my buzzbait. I had only a handful of hits there. Something attacked my paddle and rocked my yak. Scared the living hell out of me.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty
On Wednesday (20th) I hit Rising Sun in the morning for a few hours on my yak. I was the only one on the lake till about 9-10am. Got skunked for the 1st time ever there. Went over to Stone Tavern and fished the shore for about 20 mins and landed a 2lber. Saw loads of bass jumping all over the lake. There was only 3 boats out there. Then I hit Assunpink. Unloaded my yak towards the back of the lake, right before the lake turns into a weed field. Fished there for about 2 hours. Had some real nice hits and saw what looked to be around a 4lber come out of the water when it attacked my buzzbait. I had only a handful of hits there. Something attacked my paddle and rocked my yak. Scared the living hell out of me.
Lots of small sunfish and shad being attacked this morning. Lunkertaker says he does well in the back of Assunpink, the cove and sometimes the island is where I do the best. I forgot to mention in my report, saw a HUGE koi in Stone Tavern. Pretty cool sight.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey Dirty

Assunpink can be choked with weeds, especially from now to the end of the season and is also where you can HOOK up. I prefer the back 2/3's of this pond and found it to be the most productive. Looking for LMB, pickerel,bluegill, or crapppies...the open middle portion, weed beds, and the back hump in 3-5 ft to 1-2 ft of water is good. Also the 'Hump" off the nesxt cove on your left facing the back is productive for all the above. In the late summer/early fall, the large "hump"extending well into the main pond, almost across from the launch...gotta know where it is (from 4 ft to 1-2 ft) and it can be very productive...my personal best LMB and catfish in NJ were caught here.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Were you targeting the kitty or was he an accidental catch? Heard there's some monsters in there.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkertaker
Hey Dirty

Assunpink can be choked with weeds, especially from now to the end of the season and is also where you can HOOK up. I prefer the back 2/3's of this pond and found it to be the most productive. Looking for LMB, pickerel,bluegill, or crapppies...the open middle portion, weed beds, and the back hump in 3-5 ft to 1-2 ft of water is good. Also the 'Hump" off the nesxt cove on your left facing the back is productive for all the above. In the late summer/early fall, the large "hump"extending well into the main pond, almost across from the launch...gotta know where it is (from 4 ft to 1-2 ft) and it can be very productive...my personal best LMB and catfish in NJ were caught here.

Last Fall I got into Freshwater fishing. Fished Assunpink a handfull of times all out back where it is now choked with weeds. I like fishing back in the weedier areas of lakes. Hopefully next week I will have my truck back on the road so I can load my kayak and head over to Stone Tavern and Assunpink.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFISH13
Were you targeting the kitty or was he an accidental catch? Heard there's some monsters in there.
Sorry for the late response, but yes I Was targeting cats at Assunpink which, BTW, is a great catfish pond. set up in 8 ft of water between the LARGE main lake hump and the smaller one going toward the back. Fished dead and "ripe" shrimp and managed a channel cat that went close to 9-10 lbs. This was several years ago, but I did have an audience as several bass fisherman were wondering what the heck that guy had on bending the rod. Also caught a handful of bullheads as well. The "SUMMERTIME ROLLS" Catfishing at night there has also paid off for me as well