NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Recommendations - VHF radio? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Recommendations - VHF radio?

Just started looking at radios. My last one was a Cobra and it was a POS.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking for a handheld submersible VHF.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Recommendations - VHF radio?

icom or standard horizon cant really go wrong with either. i prefer icom.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have a standard hand held.. I dont think it works GREAT but it doesnt work bad by any means..
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Icom gets my vote and if you have a GPS on board then you should make sure you get it with DSC (Digital Selective Calling) and inteface it with your GPS....

This allows at the press of an emergency button on the radio to broadcast an emergency signal to the Coast Guard that will contain your GPS coordinates.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Recommendations - VHF radio?

i have a standard horizon handheld for a back up.... no problems.... but remember... will only reach so far....

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Right Tommy - VHF radio distance can vary based on 2 things, power and antenna height.

Here is a write up from the Boat US site:

A handheld VHF radio can serve as the primary communication device on smaller boats as well as a back-up for a fixed mount transceiver. The use of large scale integrated circuits and microprocessors makes it possible for even the smallest of these radios to provide virtually all of the capabilities and features of conventional radios. The major differences between the hand-helds and fixed mount radios are maximum transmitter power output and the non availability of digital selective calling in the handheld sets.

Virtually all of these radios operate on all allowable transmit and receive channels, including all NOAA weather channels.

As with all marine VHF transceivers, handhelds must provide a 1 watt
transmit power selection in addition to whatever higher power may be available (usually 3-6 watts). The general considerations that govern the choice of a fixed mount VHF set apply to a handheld radio. The receiver is the most costly part of the radio and its ability to separate the signal you need to hear from interfering signals may determine the radio's worth.

Transmit power is a secondary consideration. Remember, communication on the marine VHF band is essentially line of sight. Unless the radio is connected to a fixed antenna, mounted at some height above the water, the one watt low power setting will usually be all you need for clear communication. The Rescue 21 VHF/DSC communication system now being completed is designed to provide reliable communication with a 1 watt radio, 1 meter above the water, at a distance of up to 20 nautical miles from shore. Further, unless the radio is connected to an external power source it will be drawing energy from its internal battery. Battery life is greatly extended by using the low power setting.

Connecting a handheld radio to the boat's fix mount antenna can be very worthwhile. The fixed mount antenna is a more efficient means for radiating transmitter power than the necessarily small antenna on the radio. The added height of the fixed mount antenna will increase the "radio horizon", the distance over which you will be able to establish reliable communication. The antenna on many handhelds plug into an RF connector on the top of the set. With the antenna removed a coaxial cable connected to a fixed mount antenna can be plugged into the radio. If you elect to use this option be sure to secure the normal antenna to the radio so that it will be immediately available when it is necessary to use the set without the fixed antenna.

As noted, all VHF radios are vital safety devices. Carrying a hand-held in addition to a fixed mount set provides a valuable degree of additional security. The hand-held may be a critical device in an emergency. Buying a high quality model that is waterproof (submersible) can provide a possibly critical degree of assurance that it will work when needed. Buying a radio capable of using standard alkaline cells as an option to the normal rechargeable Lithium-ion or other rechargeable battery can be a very desirable choice. It is difficult to ascertain the state of charge of a rechargable battery which may become depleted just when it is needed most. Alkaline cells can be stored on board for a number of years with little or no loss of stored energy. Choosing a fully waterproof set capable of operating from alkaline cells is an obvious choice for a radio to be included in an abandon ship bag or in a liferaft. (Any battery or battery operated device included in a life raft container must be carefully packaged to ensure that the raft is protected from damage in the event a cell leaks its caustic active material.)

Recent developments in electronics technology make it possible for some manufacturers to offer handheld radios with integral GPS receivers and DSC hailing capability. Properly programmed with the vessel's MMSI these radios can transmit a digitally encoded automatic MAYDAY signal in the event of a life threatening emergency.

Many of today's handheld radios are waterproof and some will float if accidentally dropped overboard. Some models include a BlueTooth communication function allowing use of any number of BlueTooth communication devices.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Icom, yes it will cost you more but its worth it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Happy with my SH fixed mount which is connected to my SH GPS/Plotter.
Not only does it do DSC, but I can give and request position (polling) and display anothers location on my GPS and even plot a course to it.

Great for calling your friends in on fish.