NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Do-It-Yourself Wiring - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-15-2021, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Do-It-Yourself Wiring

Since my previous post on Replacement Coaming Bolsters was of interest to a decent number of readers, I thought I'd share some info about another do-it-yourself boat project. Maybe the link below will be of interest to some of you and you may want to start your own project.

I have a 23-year-old center console that I have kept in great shape. Although all the important stuff works, time and mother nature have impacted some parts of the electrical system. I'm headed toward repowering to a 4-stroke but before I do that, I'm going to go over my entire electrical system and try to bring it up to near as-new condition. Battery cables, bus bars, switches, circuit breakers/fuses, wiring (labelled) and shrink wrap connectors. All done the proper way for marine use.

There's a terrific website for an outfit in South Carolina that has some of the best simple guides for electrical work done right, especially for simple boats. Also sells neat replacement switch types and has dozens of "before and after" shots of re-done boat consoles bringing tired looks to brand new looks. They can also make you customized switch panels of different types, with an on-line tool that lets you build what you want and price it.

www.newwiremarine.com

Hopefully this is of interest to other boaters out there that might be thinking about some needed electrical work, an upgrade project, or may just want to learn more about a boat maintenance subject that is foreign to most.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Do-It-Yourself Wiring

Thanks. Even for those decent at DIY there are always some tricks to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Treader View Post
Since my previous post on Replacement Coaming Bolsters was of interest to a decent number of readers, I thought I'd share some info about another do-it-yourself boat project. Maybe the link below will be of interest to some of you and you may want to start your own project.

I have a 23-year-old center console that I have kept in great shape. Although all the important stuff works, time and mother nature have impacted some parts of the electrical system. I'm headed toward repowering to a 4-stroke but before I do that, I'm going to go over my entire electrical system and try to bring it up to near as-new condition. Battery cables, bus bars, switches, circuit breakers/fuses, wiring (labelled) and shrink wrap connectors. All done the proper way for marine use.

There's a terrific website for an outfit in South Carolina that has some of the best simple guides for electrical work done right, especially for simple boats. Also sells neat replacement switch types and has dozens of "before and after" shots of re-done boat consoles bringing tired looks to brand new looks. They can also make you customized switch panels of different types, with an on-line tool that lets you build what you want and price it.

www.newwiremarine.com

Hopefully this is of interest to other boaters out there that might be thinking about some needed electrical work, an upgrade project, or may just want to learn more about a boat maintenance subject that is foreign to most.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber