NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

A little catfishing with my younger boy - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default A little catfishing with my younger boy

I decided to get a little catfishing in with my 9-year old last night, at a lake where I found out they are stocked. We're pretty new at the catfishing, so there's a lot of excitement with targeting and catching these channel cats! We were there for about 2 hours and got 2 nice channel cats, 2 nice brown bullhead and an American eel (plus a bunch of bluegill that he was catching with his ultralight and a size 6 hook).

Thanks for looking!

CMA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACF1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	142823   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACF2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	142824   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACF3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	142825  
Old 07-10-2020, 04:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: A little catfishing with my younger boy

man that's solid action. way to go!
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: A little catfishing with my younger boy

There you go! Nice Catfish man! Way to get the little dude on the fish! Love seeing the kids enjoying the outdoors. Well done!!!
Old 07-10-2020, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very nice! Please be careful handling them catfish, they can fin that young man good. Just got cut by one the other day! lol
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There you go off to a good start, those are some nice catfish. what were you using for bait? almost all waters in new jersey have bullheads in them but the big d aka the Delaware river has flatheads and channels in it.. Bigger lakes such as Hopatcong have white cats and channel as well as bullheads. if you get some time you should give them a try. look foward to seeing more reports from you guys... tight lines
Old 07-11-2020, 01:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the feedback folks. DanH, thank you for that reminder!

Icebadger, we were using hot dogs. The kids absolutely love bullheads too, so between the bullheads and the channels so far, they've had a great summer! We have read about the flatheads, we're collecting gear and doing some research to find some safe reliable spots to go in the evening or at night.

Also, you mentioned white catfish. I don't know much about them-we're in Mercer County so Lake Hopatcong is far away, do you know of any areas nearby us to try for them? I know about spots and spot burning and etc. so if no one wants to share that I respect it (plus I know that we have to put our work in as new fishermen ). If it's better to PM about leads I understand too.

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement folks, the boys and I are having a blast!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA719 View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. DanH, thank you for that reminder!

Also, you mentioned white catfish. I don't know much about them-we're in Mercer County so Lake Hopatcong is far away, do you know of any areas nearby us to try for them? I know about spots and spot burning and etc. so if no one wants to share that I respect it (plus I know that we have to put our work in as new fishermen ). If it's better to PM about leads I understand too.

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement folks, the boys and I are having a blast!
For White Catfish:

I only know two places that are closer to you. Farrington Lake in East Brunswick as well as a quarry lake where Crystal Springs Aquatic Center is located (state record came from this place)

At Farrington got them on the right side of the Hardenburg Ln bridge fishing of the shore.

Good luck, hope it helps

Andre
Old 07-13-2020, 04:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks Andrushkin33, I've never been to Farrington Lake but there is a body of water nearby (Davidson's Mill Pond) that I've got on my list of places that I'd like to try. I'll check those out, and will respect the spots.