NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lets talk Gulp - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-23-2018, 10:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Lets talk Gulp

So since my doctor wants me to relax and take it easy so i have been watching like every fluke fishing video they have on YouTube. Now i see in them where people are fishing 2 different colors on their Jig rig. I have always ran the same color on top hook and on the jig on the bottom. You see people fishing chart up top and white on bottom for example. Anyone fish like that? I have even gone as far as matching my jig color to my Gulp. Color makes the difference so just wondering if i should start to mix and match my Gulps this season?

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Lets talk Gulp

Hmmm - never really gave it any thought Jeff, although on certain days some colors do outfish others. Might make sense to start out with 2 different colors and see what works.

One thing we have found, especially when fishing in the bay, tipping the gulp with a spearing will get you more strikes. They'res been days where it's the only way you'd get them to hit.. You feel a bite and once the spearing is gone you might as well not have anything on your hook. For whatever reason, this does not hold true out on the ocean in the sticky stuff.... Thinking maybe the water is murkier in the bay and the spearing provides some extra scent?? Who knows.

Feel better and hope you're back at it soon.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I almost never fish the same jig color with the same color GULP. I want a contrast in color, dark head (jig)/light body (GULP) or vice versa. One of my favorite color combos especially when fishing the deeper channels or ocean is a white bucktail with a pink or pink shine GULP as I feel it imitates a squid.

I will on occasion fish the same color GULP on both my teaser and bucktail especially when I’m fishing shallow and usually it’s chartreuse unless it’s been proven to me that another color is producing that day.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I usually switch it up and use different color on top and bucktail. I also typically contrast on the jig but sometimes all white works best. Every day is different.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 04-27-2018, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

alway switch it up till i find what they want and then i flood them with it.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I usually start with the same color on both hooks then keep switching until i get the color they want but i never really ran 2 different colors at once.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.