NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 8 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Great post... the only thing I want to add that I know for sure...

The Blue Heron out of Jupiter Fl, you get in the pool, you spilt 50% of the pool with the mates..
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm all for tipping but not sure I like the manditory/entitlement 50% tip if you win the pool. After all, tipping in my mind is based on the level of service you get and that's the way it should be. It gives service people motivation to do their best.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have fished on party boats for about 20yrs now. I have also worked on one of my favorite boats out of Point. When I get lucky enough to win the pool I usually give it all to the mates, not because I think its right or mandatory just after working the boat myself I know how tough a job it can be. I once was handed 2 dollars after a night of bluefishing tangled lines gaffing fish cleaning the boat I handed the 2 dollars back to the guy and told he must need it more than me. Not to sound like a jerk but after helping this guy all night I felt a little pissed. Anyway just like everyone says the tip should match the level of comfort, help, and everything else the mates try to do for you while your out there.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I consider myself to be as self-sufficient a fare as they come. I tie my own rigs, untie my own tangles, unhook my own fish and fillet all my own fish. On my regular charters on which I know the crew and most fares, I generally fillet all the fish for the boat.

On head boats I always tip a minimum of $25. On Charters it ranges from $25 to $50, depending on the number of additional passengers. Any pool won (most recent was earlier this week) usually goes directly to the mate(s). If its an u usually large pool, I'll sometimes reimburse myself the cost of charter, but only seldom. I do my fishing for the fun of it, not to make money.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There's been a lot of agreement on giving a reasonable tip to the mates. Several mates have expressed what it's like working on a party boat and have made good points regarding the actual fishing trip and all the prep and clean up work involved. Is there anybody who would like to make a case or offer an explanation as to why they believe otherwise? We'd love to hear from you.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went thru 4 pages of the 8 of this thread, so maybe what I'm going to say has been covered, but I chime in to give perspective on something that has always struck me and have never read on one of these threads.

I give minimum 20% all the time (and I only fish boats where service is good.) Here is what strikes me - sooo many times when I give the tip to the mate and he sees how much it is, I get a very profound thank you, as if it was a lot, i.e. people don't routinely tip that much. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, and I hope I am, but I doubt it. It's sad, as no one in the service industry works as hard as mates.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have had a much better fishing day after getting advise from the mate. I think that $20.00 is the minimum that anyone should tip. I have won the pool a few times and I always leave the whole thing to them. They deserve every penny they get. I know for a fact that a lot of people don't tip at all or only leave a few dollars and that's wrong. Please tip the mates they deserve every penny and they treat everyone great.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny2002
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have had a much better fishing day after getting advise from the mate. I think that $20.00 is the minimum that anyone should tip. I have won the pool a few times and I always leave the whole thing to them. They deserve every penny they get. I know for a fact that a lot of people don't tip at all or only leave a few dollars and that's wrong. Please tip the mates they deserve every penny and they treat everyone great.
35%? What if you go two or three times a week, do you still do that?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Everybody deserves to earn a living, this includes the mates.

I look at it as the same as going to a restaurant, if you can't or don't want to pay for the meal & a tip, stay the hell home & eat a box of mac & cheese. Or fish in the local creek, that doesn't cost very much.

I can't tell you how many charters I set up in the past, only to have my "buddies" argue & try to lowball the mate with a tip, I wound up digging into my own pocket to make up the difference. Same guys who drive a $40k pickup truck & spend $100/week on smokes & beer.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

People are really missing some of the key points here.. Single passengers is not the real problem now a days and especially in the summer..

I worked deck in barnegat light, railed from front the back bluefishing in 100 degree heat with 90 people on the boat, 4 mates, and have walked off with 100 bucks.. that is 400 dollars between 90 people. thats is an average of 4.44 per person.. The singles are not the ISSUE, i will repeat it over and over again, IT IS THE GROUPS!!

I have waited hand and foot on a family of 6, and they give you 20 bucks, that is the real problem. if you have 40 people on a party boat, 15 singles and 25 are all groups of 5, you are looking to have a crappy day, it is just the way it is.

Vacationing families, and groupsof people today need to realize that each person is handled as an individual and not as a group, and if you have a party of 5 sitting there fishing, you are fishing with 5 separate fares, even though one dad might be paying, still need to throw these guys a 100 bucks atleast for that..