NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 7 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Not sure what it is for mates and if it even applies to them, but the minimum wage in NJ for service industry employees in the restaurant business like waiters and bar tenders is $2.13. Not a heck of a lot of money and these people rely on tips to make up the difference.

In my mind there are a few sensible rules when it comes to tipping mates.
- If you catch fish or not the mates deserve a tip
- As a general rule it should be between 18 to 20% of the fare.
- If you get exceptional service and you can afford it than more
- If you are smart and require a lot of maintenance like me or you are fishing with a kid who will need a lot of assistance you might tip in advance to insure good service.
- If the mate has to clean a lot of my fish (usually not the case with me) I will tip them a buck or so a fish in addition to the tip.

If you can't afford to tip properly that's one thing, but being cheap is another. Tip with your conscious knowing what you can afford and the level of service you get. Most mates deserve it, if they don't they shouldn't be a mate and won't be around very long.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 07-10-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks very much for bringing up this topic. As a deckhand on a boat in AH, good tips are always highly appreciated. We work for tips. That's what our income is based on. As a deckhand, we do as much as we can to assure that we receive a good tip. Thanks very much for recognizing how important the deckhands are to the operation of the party boats.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

One more reminder to not forget all the work that gets done before and after the actual fishing. It makes a big difference.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Member

My son won the pool a few weeks back at $200. There were 3 mates that did a fine job all day long, besides taking a liking to my 10 year old. We or should I say I tipped the mates $25. each for a fine day of fishing & making us laugh a little. My son still went home with a nice little extra money & had a blast . A win win for all.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Question Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Capt Frank.
Are you being serious when you state that you expect a tip when you tow someone in who is a paying member of your employer's organization?
If yes would you give a reason?

Confused.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Just got home from my favorite 1/2 day pb. The $140 dollar pool was taken by a guy fishing with his 10 yr old daughter. A nice 5 1/2 lb. fish. The dad takes the bag of fillets and gives the kid $2 to tip the mates with. Just to be clear, that's $2, two dollars, a pair of ones, two 1$ bills. Now the mates an go buy the pencils they've been wanting.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by codkiller731
Thanks very much for bringing up this topic. As a deckhand on a boat in AH, good tips are always highly appreciated. We work for tips. That's what our income is based on. As a deckhand, we do as much as we can to assure that we receive a good tip. Thanks very much for recognizing how important the deckhands are to the operation of the party boats.

I know who this is and this is your googan who you have been teaching how to bucktail on a spinner rod - my new penn battle??? - you are worth every penny Kiddo and I just love fishing with you and on the boat . You work hard and deserve it . Now the other one - well thats a whole different story - must feed the tapeworm and bring you guys some big-stosh's. You guys on this boat I frequent are worth every penny - all 3 of you - even Mr. Rock-n-Roll- now you need to teach me how to fillet next .

Thanks to all the hard working mates out there especially this one and my favorite 3/4 day boat

GDubs-
Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This thread reminds me of all the reason's I am no longer a full time mate. I worked part time (3 days a week for my last 2 years of college) and then full time for about 4 years out of the Atlantic Highlands fleet. Happily I (for the past few years) now have another full time job, that although doesn't really pay as well as my best year on the boat, it has turned me back into the civil minded person I was before I started working deck. I still fill in a trip now and then just for a little extra cash or to help out a captain or mate that needs a hand for the day. Here are just a few random thoughts, points, and counter points to what I have read so far in this thread.

Over the course my best season Early April until Late December I made $9,800 from the captain. That was with me leaving my house at 5:00 am and getting home at 8:45 pm on a good night during half day sailings (april-mid October) late fall was better 4:45 am to about 5:00 pm. Days I didn't sail I still spent about $14 dollars in gas to and from the boat as well as $2 in tolls. If I didn't get out on the morning trip (During which I spent 6:00 am to 8:00 am on the dock without getting paid, I then had to wait around for the afternoon trip to see if I would get out then, another 1 1/2 unpaid hours at the dock.

Trip where we did sail, but with only for enough fares for one mate it depended on whether or not it was your day to know if you or the other mate was being sent home, or you could split your already low pay with the other mate and both work.

Anyone that thinks that the mates are splitting 15-20% of the fare money on a relatively crowded boat is out of there mind. Honestly I would always do best with about 15-18 guys if I was working by myself or about 30 guys if two mates were splitting the trip. It allowed us to give better service to all aboard.

95-98% of the best tippers out there require VERY LITTLE in the way of help from the mate over the course of a trip. Yes, they do get the best of the bait, and I would respond to their call for a net or gaff before someone that I didn't know, but that is about it. These men and women know how to tie their own rigs, bait their own hooks, stay out of tangles before they begin, cast their own lines, and swing shorts and marginal keepers without any help from me. Of course help was always offered, but normally I was told to go help someone else, or simply they got it.

Some people say tips stands for To Insure Prompt Service. The problem with that is you know some of your regular customers that will give you very little to nothing in the way of tips. In this day and age with fewer people coming to the harbor a mate cannot afford to give them any less in the way of service, otherwise the captain and crew might lose them to another boat. I worked a trip earlier this week where I was the only mate. I went out with somewhere between 12-15 fares. I knew 10 of the fares (that I can remember) from my past working in the harbor. I can honestly say that of the 10 I knew, I removed every single short and sea robin from every hook, netted every "close" fish that was asked to be netted, measured every fish that needed it, untangled every tangle in the group, and filleted every keeper that the 10 caught. I did this even knowing what i had coming. The group of 5 gave me $10, the two groups of 2 gave me $5 each, and the 1 guy gave me $10. I could have told you that that is what I was going to make from each of them before the boat left the dock, but I still gave the best service I was able. Assuming a $60 fare if 10 were all seniors (which most of them were not) that would mean for the 10 I knew I made $30 out of $600 (in fares) or exactly %5.

The sad reality of being a mate at this time is that most of your money will come from a select group of people you already know. Most new fares will tip well below 20% Fares are now expecting more and more from mates and are not willing to tip accordingly. If a mate wants to keep the boat in business and his job he better be able to take all the S#%T every day with a smile.

All that being said, I do fish whenever time allows on party boats that I both know and are new to me. I have met many great mates and I have met some not so great mates. I can honestly say I have never walked off a boat without tipping at least 20% OR letting the captain and mate know exactly why I didn't tip at all or up to my normal standards so that the everyone knew what I perceived as wrong or not up to snuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great post AVA ^^^^^^

Good to know the reality of things first hand from a mate. Hoping this will make some people see the light.

As I said above, if you get good service not being able to afford to tip properly is one thing, but being cheap is a choice. It's just another way for selfish people to get over. They name streets after people like these ... "One Way".

I used to just let it go and tollerate these sorts.... Now I bring it to their attention.. For me, it's not a matter of the money, it's the principle of it and I just want to let them know that I know exactly what they are up to and they are just retry to get over.

Nothing worse than a Cheapskate in my book.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 07-11-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thank you AVA67 (Braden) for your detailed, personal post - it certainly opened my eyes !! I miss seeing you at the Harbor & was hopeful that you landed a full-time teaching gig. Keep on pluggin' . . . good things happen to good peeps and you're better than good . . . Best always, Larry