NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

I get that part, but i was wondering if the mates get any standard pay from the boat at all. Like $50 a day or something like that.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honger
I get that part, but i was wondering if the mates get any standard pay from the boat at all. Like $50 a day or something like that.

They all get standard fee structures per day, say around 75 or so per trip, then they deduct taxes, there is not much money in their regular pay
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Is The Fishing That Bad!!!lab Is Looking Down Just Shaking His Head.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And I'm sure there are people on this Board that say even a lazy mate should be tipped too.

I've towed guys for hours, docked them perfectly. SInce they are memebrs they dont pay a nickle on what would have been a $1500 job. Most do not give you a cent.

The guys in the ragged a*sed POS boats are the ones who usually tip after spending 3-5 hours with them.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker dunker
Is The Fishing That Bad!!!lab Is Looking Down Just Shaking His Head.
hahahaahhahahha

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Seems to be an unwritten law that boat owners are not allowed to pay mates anything but the absolute min wage that will keep the owner legal. Strange.. since the mates are the ones that keep customers coming back.

Hey go figure! This Thread started last August- it's almost its birthday. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honger
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Tip the mates because its the proper thing to do...

I dont get why some folks dont get it!! A waitress takes yur order , brings you food . Maybe checks on you once. Maybe a lousy service or food but still gets a min tip. A mate good or bad fishing serves you all day, does whatever he can . Gets you out of some sticky messes and back in the water ASAP and sometimes don't get a tip...

read a few posts in this threads , dont want to get into the sticky- ness but want to add my 2 cents.
Well said Aj n Ol Pedro ( good points from other folks too ) . Im not a mate on any head boats but always did , always will on any private boat I been on.. One primary thing I like to do is see folks catch fish , always help them rig up and teach technique.... love to see them take home a bag of fillets of fresh fish too .. I also agree guys who dont sail on head boats , never gona get it nor read this type of forum . So they have a bad trip and take it out on the mates and is their own foolishness. I have to confess I was cheap and didn't get it either .. One reason,bc I always fished caught / cleaned my own fish for over 20 years having my own boat . Never understood being served . I guess Besides ignorance it was mostly , pride than I finally opened my eyes when I realized these guys want to help and are doing it for a living.

However some folks , even novices will realize Gratatuity is gratitude period !!! so they tip something . Bottom line is some folks dont get it and never will . The mates work on tips want to catch fish and want to serve you. They love what they do and love to see fish being caught. Than you have the regulars who have been around no matter what they understand and tip appropriately . Ill say one thing I am not well off ,could just about afford a trip . But I still tip what I can ...they understand and appreciate whatever is offered and help you out no matter what . However when I win a pool I'll give min 30-40% . Hec I have even given it all on days that its a small pool . One thing ill say its sad when someone wins a healthy pool $200-300 -$400. Perhaps 4 mates on the boat and they may give $ 30-40 bucks total now thats cheap!!!

.. I will say depending on the boat you go on and the day you have may make or break your experience . If ya only went once and had a bad day well that may be first impression. Our mates understand and put up with this stuff all the time... Good ones are seasoned work hard ., show up at the boat 5-5:30am everyday. Rain, sun , wind, snow.... weather they sail or not. Always helping customers aboard with gear,... cut bait and what have ya... some may work two looooong trips all day baking in the hot sun... , dont finish up cleaning the boat till 8-9 pm. Go Home , sleep only to do it all over again a few hours later.

Lastly must say all my years on head boats maybe I met but one or two bad apple mates from over 10-15 / boats in 1000 trips. Maybe One or two young, lazy ones but they learn real quick or dont last long. Of course the boats I have always sailed on have the best mates tho … guess thats why I sail on them... .

my 2 cents. So Tip your mates what ya can and don't be cheap
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I always make sure to tip the mates well, but to be honest it's the mates and captains who are screwing themselves. You want the better money, then make the tip inclusive into the fare so that everyone is compensated fairly.

You guys are leaving it up to chance, that the customer will tip you, then when they don't, there's a lot of complaints. So.....seems to me the solution is to just include it into the fare.

The mates and captains chose this arrangement of payment....so don't really understand where the complaints are coming from. Nurses and doctors at the hospital are saving lives, and they don't get tipped. Doctors make a lot of money, but they also go through 12 years of education (8yrs school + 4 yrs residency). Nurse assistants make squat, but they don't get tipped. Life is hard, and whining about tipping in a payment scheme that you constructed seems kinda dumb.

Not saying mates don't deserve tips...just that the complaining about the situation is dumb.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I normally tell the mates to lose weight or try a new hairstyle thats my tip

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

HEY JOE IS THAT A FAT JOKE!!!!{LOL} this is nuts