NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 14 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

Watch and learn bullet, I mean, Mr.Pink.
Now that's funny...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Would the mates in this thread share what their rate of pay is for a days work without tips?

Thanks!

I asked so that everyone knows where you are coming from when you think you are entitled to a tip or pool money.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussA
Would the mates in this thread share what their rate of pay is for a days work without tips?

Thanks!

I asked so that everyone knows where you are coming from when you think you are entitled to a tip or pool money.
PM sent
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i worked the deck & was in family own charter/party boat industry for some time.. #1 mates ARE Not in tile to the pool money or a % of it. its up to the customer if he /she wants to give something to the mates from the pool. # 2 20% tip of the fare is good on any day/nite trip that isnt a long range trip.. the mates in ny depending on the boat make $85.00-125.00 a day CLEAR wages.they make more than a waiter does,busboy ete. just letting you know what a # of boats pay there crews, i dont no what nj pays, but reading the posts doesnt sound alot.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

"In NJ/NY, employers are only responsible for $2.15/hr for tipped employees, which most definitely include mates on a party boat. "

Wow - if I'm a captain and have all that money tied up in a boat, and then have to pay for fuel, bait, rental rods - I sure as hell will not depend on a $2.15/hr guy to show up and work reliably.

I still say raise the fare and let cappy take care of the mate.
It probably comes out to less that 20% and everyone is happy.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I tip the mates well because the party boats I fish on spoil me. Help me back and forth with all my shit from my car to the boat. If I fish on a boat and do not get just a tiny bit of service I do not feel the mates should get a tip. I am the same in a restaurant. Service is a very important factor when picking a boat to fish on. Bob, would you believe what you started here?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Site Sponsor

Name "ONE" Deckhand on the entire coast that makes $2.15 an hour pay!!!

This post has gotten to be BS. It's the same crap every year, why can't Gerry just add it to the archives so when the question comes up next year, we can say, it's already been entertained?
Tip, don't tip, who gives a shit. Take care of those that take care of you, that's how I was brought up, if you don't , just go on a websight and see how many opinions (like *******s) you can get about it.

Christ, I wish you guys would get back to what this sight is about.....Fishing reports!!
Not, who is making what or how much is appropriate. Do what you think is right, if you can't afford a tip, your fare to the boat is what keeps us all in business. No need to be ashamed, if you can't afford a tip, be a man and tell the crew member, sorry, but I just had enough to make today's trip.....chances are, the guys on MY BOAT would make sure you got something to go home with for dinner. THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT GOOD BUSINESS IS ALL ABOUT. Karma comes back one way or another.

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron
Name "ONE" Deckhand on the entire coast that makes $2.15 an hour pay!!!

This post has gotten to be BS. It's the same crap every year, why can't Gerry just add it to the archives so when the question comes up next year, we can say, it's already been entertained?
Tip, don't tip, who gives a shit. Take care of those that take care of you, that's how I was brought up, if you don't , just go on a websight and see how many opinions (like *******s) you can get about it.

Christ, I wish you guys would get back to what this sight is about.....Fishing reports!!
Not, who is making what or how much is appropriate. Do what you think is right, if you can't afford a tip, your fare to the boat is what keeps us all in business. No need to be ashamed, if you can't afford a tip, be a man and tell the crew member, sorry, but I just had enough to make today's trip.....chances are, the guys on MY BOAT would make sure you got something to go home with for dinner. THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT GOOD BUSINESS IS ALL ABOUT. Karma comes back one way or another.
Nominated for post of the year
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

"Tip, don't tip, who gives a s**t?"

You know who gives a s**t? The people who work for tips, Capt. Pink! That's who! Next time you go out to dinner at a restaurant for the first time and tell the waiter up front, because you're gonna "be a man", that you can't cover the tip on your prime rib dinner see how good the service is. Don't come to my place with that BS...
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Tip your Mates! If you go on a boat other than your own! There's a ton of work done, before and after! Party or charter! Tip your mates!