NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 13 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

It only goes to show you that some people on this site can't read or think.
201-368-8751[/SIZE]
Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob
Fair enough... So its your opinion then that if someone has his last $65 or maybe $70 in his pocket, and thats the boat fare, then he has no business boarding the boat? I have been there, many times, and personally, I went fishing.. I try and have more of a cushion than that these days, but again, I am a very low income guy, and some days every cent except my fare has been spent, and I get home on my credit card.
I wonder what would happen if I stared at the boat, started to board, and then turned back because I was unable to tip the mates as all I had was fare money.. When the captain asked why i wasn't staying aboard, and they DO sometimes, lets say I told him I felt embarrassed because all I had was fare money, and simply couldn't tip the mates that day, so I should leave.. Do you REALLY think the captain would rather see a paying customer leave? .. I am glad you are a generous guy that can afford the fare, and a generous tip for the mates.. It's good that some people can pay the freight and more.. However, some can't, its that simple... I really doubt the captains of the head boats would agree with your opinion.. If they did, and kept poor or close to poor fisherman off their boat because they couldn't tip the mates, their business would be cut in half.. I understand your views I really do.. However, not everyone can afford to throw a $20 to the mates... That might be all they have for the rest of the week... For some people, a trip on a party boat is a rare luxury, and even the fare is a hardship..
Again,I really respect your generosity, your kindness, and your thoughtfulness. However what you consider an appropriate tip, for some people is a half days hard work after taxes.. Just something to keep in mind.. Poor people like to fish too... bob
Stare at the boat? Started to board? Then turned back? Really??? Is this a "B" movie or a fishing trip? If you held out a tin cup maybe you'd collect enough money to pay for the trip and give a few bucks to the orphanage. Of course the Capt. wants you to stay----he gets paid. This is about tipping the mates----they wouldn't mind if you left.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162
You took quite a turn there bob. First it's how you're the most low-maintenance fisherman on board, you cut your own bait/fillet your own fish yada yada (and yes, you should still tip because you insist on doing these things yourself, no one stiffed you on service). Now you're claiming abject poverty, you're literally crossing 300 miles of interstate to fish on your last dime. Talk about playing the world's smallest violin ffs!

I'll answer your question bob: if you ONLY have the fare covered, don't go. As others have pointed out, you don't go out to eat if you only have the tab covered and nothing left over for tip, or do you??? What a nightmare customer you are.

And for the rest of the incredulous posters: yes, times have changed. Service wages are well below minimum wage, and mates/waiters/servers rely on gratuities for the majority of their income. Sure, you're free to not tip your mates, but we're free to point out what incredible cheapskating behavior that is on an internet fishing board.

Please look up the word *Hypothetical*..

I was not talking about anything I personally had ever done or intend to do.. Merely making a point... However when if and when it comes down to it, I now understand that many other anglers, including many from this forum do not want to fish around another fisherman that can only cover his fare.. This may include seniors, those on disability etc.. Let your favorite boat captains know your feelings on the subject, see what THEY think... There area MANY people that live on a shoestring, and the boat fare itself is a hardship... I am sure the captains would love to hear from their regulars that such despicable individuals are persona non grata..

Do you tip at Mcdonalds?? LOW pay, and those people work thier asses off, long before and long after you have had your meal.. If not, why not?.. They are low wage service workers after all.
Thats what i am too, a low wage service worker... The woods are full of them... Glad I understand now... Fisherman that are really pinched financially and can barely swing the fare on occasion are NOT welcome aboard head boats.. Thanks for clearing that up for me...bob
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Please look up the word *Hypothetical*..

I was not talking about anything I personally had ever done or intend to do.. Merely making a point... However when if and when it comes down to it, I now understand that many other anglers, including many from this forum do not want to fish around another fisherman that can only cover his fare.. This may include seniors, those on disability etc.. Let your favorite boat captains know your feelings on the subject, see what THEY think... There area MANY people that live on a shoestring, and the boat fare itself is a hardship... I am sure the captains would love to hear from their regulars that such despicable individuals are persona non grata..

Do you tip at Mcdonalds?? LOW pay, and those people work thier asses off, long before and long after you have had your meal.. If not, why not?.. They are low wage service workers after all.
Thats what i am too, a low wage service worker... The woods are full of them... Glad I understand now... Fisherman that are really pinched financially and can barely swing the fare on occasion are NOT welcome aboard head boats.. Thanks for clearing that up for me...bob

If you are a low wage service worker you should be the first one to understand why a reasonable tip is expected, earned, and important. Please stop worrying what the Capt. might think, at least on this thread. This is about tipping the mates.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Banned

Bullet is Mr. Pink.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Bad analogy upon bad analogy. You don't tip at McD, therefore McD is required to pay minimum wage. They're not considered "tipped employees." http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

In NJ/NY, employers are only responsible for $2.15/hr for tipped employees, which most definitely include mates on a party boat.

So by all means Bob, keep stiffing the mates, rationalize/justify your cheapskating behavior, tell yourself that the captain welcomes you aboard and that everything is a-okay. And as another poster pointed out, the mates will hate you, but that's okay too: 99% of them are professional enough to never show it. So keep living in your bubble and thinking that it's okay to stiff them.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukenstein
If you are a low wage service worker you should be the first one to understand why a reasonable tip is expected, earned, and important. Please stop worrying what the Capt. might think, at least on this thread. This is about tipping the mates.
When I bar-tended for a brief period I could always count on the truckers/plumbers to tip me fairly, and other bartenders/waiters/chefs to tip handsomely. The very few clueless tippers were the guys who never worked at a retail/service level in their life.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

With one fare making the difference between me working or not or the boat getting out at all then every fare counts . Tip or no tip that one guy that doesn't have enough to tip does make a difference .
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162
Bad analogy upon bad analogy. You don't tip at McD, therefore McD is required to pay minimum wage. They're not considered "tipped employees." http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

In NJ/NY, employers are only responsible for $2.15/hr for tipped employees, which most definitely include mates on a party boat.

So by all means Bob, keep stiffing the mates, rationalize/justify your cheapskating behavior, tell yourself that the captain welcomes you aboard and that everything is a-okay. And as another poster pointed out, the mates will hate you, but that's okay too: 99% of them are professional enough to never show it. So keep living in your bubble and thinking that it's okay to stiff them.
Soooo,, you're saying an experienced mate on a good head boat makes $2.15 an hour, and on a slow day is going to bring home $30 or so if there are no tips forthcoming???.. Why do I find that a highly questionable scenario?.. I tip the mates when I feel its appropriate... I do NOT feel a need to tip because the guy iced the boat before I got there, or hosed the deck when I got off... If I get some decent individual attention for whatever reason, or win a pool , the mate gets tipped.. If I have no contact with the mate at all on any given trip, and only see him him when he puts a pint of cut clams between my rod and the rod of the guy next to me,I don't feel I am obligated to hand him a $20 bill.
I can assure you the mates on some of those boats make more money than some of the customers do.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

Watch and learn bullet, I mean, Mr.Pink.

***WARNING*** explicit language. You know, like mates talk.

Last edited by fishguy; 07-16-2013 at 01:24 PM..