NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 12 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Def a passion considering that sometimes it can be more like charity work than actually making money . But for those of us who love it we stay but we do appreciate the customers taking care of us after we take care of them thats all.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

"
Now you have to tip even if no fish caught? And cough up half the pool money?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

No Limit, The original post on this thread pointed out some of the many things mates do when there is no actual fishing going on. Before and after the trip, during the trip, and even during the off season a lot of work gets done so that we all get the most out of a day on the water. You don't have to tip when you don't catch, but you should, considering all of the other factors.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukenstein
"
Now you have to tip even if no fish caught? And cough up half the pool money?
The pool thing is totally optional but I've seen people tip zero even after they won the pool. If I win the pool the mate gets a chunk if not all of it but that's just me. I tip no matter what. If you don't get a keeper it's not the mates fault. "That's why they call it fishing!" Just because you didn't have a fish to clean doesn't mean you got bad service. If you ate out and the food stunk it's not your servers fault. Maybe don't eat there anymore but tip, for Christ's sake.
If the mate sucks than by all means feel free to stiff 'em. Otherwise, pony up Cheapskate!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Im reading this tipping thread in amazement. I started working a deck back in 1955, it was a family business and I was slave labor even at 7 yrs old. We sold beer and soda and hotdogs and burgers hooks and sinkers , some guys would say keep the change for bringing them what they wanted as opposed to them walking to the box to get it, we cleaned fish, no set fee, when asked our answer was ‘whatever you can spare, we appreciate it, never thought about charging by the fish, and yes there were some freebies too if we knew someone was up against it, when we could fish we did sell the fish we caught and if someone left their fish for the boat but we also made sure that anyone who wanted to go home with fish for the table did, not for a fee but to get him hooked as a customer. Did we get some gratuity for it? sometimes yes. , we did get tips from the pool, we did get tips from some customers, usually regulars who wanted the “freshest” clams or the biggest worms , or butterfish instead of bunker, when using greencrabs guys would tip u to cut the legs and in general some guys would tip because they wanted you to net or gaff them first or make sure they were rerigged or untangled first, or because they had a newbie with them and didn’t want to be bothered so they paid you for it, and yes some guys just tipped you for being there, it sure had nothing to do with entitlement or 15% or too little pay from the captain. It was easier back then, no catch or size limits, if I wanted more money it was actually pretty easy, fish harder and longer. Today Im a customer I have my own rules for tipping and doing what I think is fair for the mates and I can tell you that last thing it has to do with is a % of any number. And I am a low maintenance customer when I fish; rig myself, unhook my own fish untangle myself, There have been days I have left over $500 on the deck and days where its been $0. Each day is different. Being on the deck is a tough physical grind , always was and always will be. But there is no entitlement just because a customer is on the boat.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy
The pool thing is totally optional but I've seen people tip zero even after they won the pool. If I win the pool the mate gets a chunk if not all of it but that's just me. I tip no matter what. If you don't get a keeper it's not the mates fault. "That's why they call it fishing!" Just because you didn't have a fish to clean doesn't mean you got bad service. If you ate out and the food stunk it's not your servers fault. Maybe don't eat there anymore but tip, for Christ's sake.
If the mate sucks than by all means feel free to stiff 'em. Otherwise, pony up Cheapskate!

Fishguy, I agree 100%. I was trying to quote a previous post and screwed up. I always tip and leave 1/2 the pool on my lucky days.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob
So its your opinion then that if someone has his last $65 or maybe $70 in his pocket, and thats the boat fare, then he has no business boarding the boat?
You took quite a turn there bob. First it's how you're the most low-maintenance fisherman on board, you cut your own bait/fillet your own fish yada yada (and yes, you should still tip because you insist on doing these things yourself, no one stiffed you on service). Now you're claiming abject poverty, you're literally crossing 300 miles of interstate to fish on your last dime. Talk about playing the world's smallest violin ffs!

I'll answer your question bob: if you ONLY have the fare covered, don't go. As others have pointed out, you don't go out to eat if you only have the tab covered and nothing left over for tip, or do you??? What a nightmare customer you are.

And for the rest of the incredulous posters: yes, times have changed. Service wages are well below minimum wage, and mates/waiters/servers rely on gratuities for the majority of their income. Sure, you're free to not tip your mates, but we're free to point out what incredible cheapskating behavior that is on an internet fishing board.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal Cathy Sea Charters
When you get older and are on a fixed income things change.Some seniors are only able to get out fishing now and then.Pay the fare and tip what you can!It is the same for a young man taking his children out for the day on a party boat.If he is paying for four fares should he be obligated to tip 20% x four?Just hop on a pb and enjoy the day,the correct tip is what you can afford!
So what you're saying is, mates will have to count on the rest of us who tip appropriately to make a living wage. What a terrible line from a captain. I budget and make sacrifices to fish as much as I can (like many people do), I've never even considered skipping the tip to squeeze in a couple more trips per year.

We're not even talking about what % to tip; people are now trying to justify stiffing the mates entirely, giving ZERO as they step off the boat, for shame.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162
So what you're saying is, mates will have to count on the rest of us who tip appropriately to make a living wage. What a terrible line from a captain. I budget and make sacrifices to fish as much as I can (like many people do), I've never even considered skipping the tip to squeeze in a couple more trips per year.

We're not even talking about what % to tip; people are now trying to justify stiffing the mates entirely, giving ZERO as they step off the boat, for shame.
That's what you got from reading Sal's post?? LOL, you might consider a handle other then "reason."

I thought Bluefish's thoughts were right on point.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombanjo
That's what you got from reading Sal's post?? LOL, you might consider a handle other then "reason."

I thought Bluefish's thoughts were right on point.
Read in context as a response to bob's ridiculous question, posed to captains (owners) if customers ought to skip a trip rather than stiff a mate, and Sal's response was basically, No no, just give what you can (however that's defined, whatever that means) and enjoy the day.

How did you read it?