NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

picked up a new reel for my custom rod I built.. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default picked up a new reel for my custom rod I built..

Went to the fishing expo yesterday. It was a nice show, just wish there were more booths geared for fishing. I would say half the show was hunting stuff. Anyways, I built a custom and have been looking for a reel for it. I stopped by the canyon reel booth and picked one up. I bought the HD-15. Nice light weight reel with high retrieve and plenty of drag. I like the fact they are built here in brick and if you have questions or concerns you call them directly and speak to someone, not a recording. Any feedback on these reels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_42428720523467.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	80652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_42426233493437.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	80653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_42417008884064.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	80654  
Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: picked up a new reel for my custom rod I built..

You will find many mixed reviews on these reels both very good and bad! I personally own two and think they are great! I had a problem with a loose clicker button called dropped it off and that day had the reel all fixed and back on the rod!
Hope you find good results with reel.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That was one thing I really liked. If you have a problem, it is close. You won't have to ship over seas or across country. I used to only buy Shimano but after 4 of them blew up I decided to try something else. I really like diawa reels but I have a bunch of them so I figured I would give the canyon a try
Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Don is a great guy and they are great reels if they work properly. I had a problem out of the box with the anti-reverse on my HS-15 straight out of the box (Didn't know until I hooked some nice blackfish ) so I went to his house and he switched out what had to be replaced. But the next trip I went on I had the same problem. I ended up returning it because I didn't want this to be a reoccurring problem, but I don't believe it was his fault. He said that there was a faulty batch of bearings, so if that was the case, I might consider buying the HS-16 in the future.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They did mention that they had newer bigger bearings in the reels. Bad parts..I guess that can happen.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You will not find better customer service anywhere. Do not know of any reel manufacturer that you can go directly to the owner and he will take care of you personally. Have used the HS 15, small, light with more drag than you will ever need, I also have the 16 as i like the lower gear ratio and more line capicity, It has become my favorite offshore seabass, cod reel. I even used it tile fishing on one trip and it is a beast.
I give them a thumbs up and DON is great to deal with.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I just met him at the show for the first time. He was a very nice man. I like supporting local small businesses. Hey, every company can have problems with it's products but the main thing is that they stand up to their products which I have heard he does. What business owner would answer his personal cell on a Sunday to fix your reel. That's a selling point for me.