NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trolling Heads for Naked Ballyhoo..... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Trolling Heads for Naked Ballyhoo.....

Everybody knows how well the recent bite has been with ballyhoo. WHile we are working on the custom tied skirts, that keep selling out, I wanted to offer the naked heads to our customers.

Many people trim the hair down on the skirts anyway, and there is no better way to present a ballyhoo than to do it naturally.
These heads are made in sizes from 3oz up to 24oz and have something that no other head has.......the ability to be reversed, to create 2 different actions, in one single head.

Trolled with the wider end forward, creates a different action than the smaller end forward. One is a tighter action, while the other is a wider, slower action. Either way, both will create a smoke trail naturally, due to the gill plates that are cut into this head.

All of them are chromed, with over sized 3D eyes that look alive. They have been working very well, along with the skirted heads. We have had countless bigeye caught on them this year.

You can buy them online here, or stop in the shop. We have a full supply again, since Friday.

http://www.shop.jerseytackle.com/pro...&categoryId=43

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trolling Heads for Naked Ballyhoo.....

As always you have the best offshore lure ideas. I like the double whammy trick where each end gives a different action. The chrome looks great, and those small side slices will give great light reflection.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogan
As always you have the best offshore lure ideas. I like the double whammy trick where each end gives a different action. The chrome looks great, and those small side slices will give great light reflection.
Jersey/Kevin , how do you rig them ? There is no recess for the Hoo's head .
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro
Jersey/Kevin , how do you rig them ? There is no recess for the Hoo's head .

Just like you would an Islander or any other head with a skirt......using the pin rig style. The opening the center line, is the same as 90% of the heads out there now. The difference is int he sizes, the chrome, the head style and the ability to get the 2 different actions out of 1 head.

I use the pin rig set up, for the last couple of years, myself. I have found the heads that are hollowed out for the head to slide into, often create spinning, once the bally gets soft and allows it to move back.

I will get a photo up later, to help explain.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thank you Jersey C. I have only done them naked/with chin weight or small Billybait head/Islander head .
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

they would be nice if you take a dremel and make the hole in the back to insert the bill, i would think the profile on those might be a little bulky with a hoo behind it and if a side swell pushed the bait to the side or gives slack you could see the beak of the hoo laying on the side, if those babies has an opening on the back about 1/2 the diameter of the back end of the head and you could slam a hoos head up that ass, i think they would run dreamy.. i like deep baits, only problem i have is it seems everytime i put out a 5 - 8oz lure and damn white comes up and i cant see his ass and he sticks himself and swims off. lol
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
they would be nice if you take a dremel and make the hole in the back to insert the bill, i would think the profile on those might be a little bulky with a hoo behind it and if a side swell pushed the bait to the side or gives slack you could see the beak of the hoo laying on the side, if those babies has an opening on the back about 1/2 the diameter of the back end of the head and you could slam a hoos head up that ass, i think they would run dreamy.. i like deep baits, only problem i have is it seems everytime i put out a 5 - 8oz lure and damn white comes up and i cant see his ass and he sticks himself and swims off. lol

We are working on that...... The opening is large enough for a guy like yourself to insert the bill. I admit, it may not be ideal for somebody thjat does not do it all of the time.

Lately, most of our fish are coming deep. The whites have been insane this year. I remember the days of just hoping to SEE one in the spread........ now they are like bluefish.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

trying to kill big eyes and you get the mystery swats, then you see em, but by the time they come off that long rigger 8 ft under water, they are already stung and just hanging out for a few then dip off, pains in the asses.

Those look good, i like to looks of them, might have to give one a shot, any with skirts left?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would also like to add, anyone using these, do yourself a favor and do not pin rig, there will be to much showing, use floss or just good old copper wire and you will be just fine! if the opening is big enough, leave a 1/4 inch of bill and stuff it up in there.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
trying to kill big eyes and you get the mystery swats, then you see em, but by the time they come off that long rigger 8 ft under water, they are already stung and just hanging out for a few then dip off, pains in the asses.

Those look good, i like to looks of them, might have to give one a shot, any with skirts left?

Have more coming later this week. I pretty much have most of the Black Bart Skirts.....if you know what color you would want? That Yellowfin Skirt is my favorite.