NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hauling or staying in? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hauling or staying in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28 View Post
If you need a ride, I know plenty of people to help, I'm in another time zone for a bit but if you need a hand, I know some close people
Thanks appreciate that the news just said it's moving more east and we are on the weaker side of the storm. I'm still undecided but leaning towards leaving it in
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

As far as Atlantic Highlands Marina.... If my boat were in there I'd probably pull it if the storm track is predicted to be close to us. It's pretty exposed to begin with and if we have a storm surge and the water is over the rock wall, it could be ugly.

Yes they now have mostly floating docks which will helps, but they still have some fixed docks too... If those docks let go, or the boats tied to them do, it could be a big bumper boat fest.

Going to be interesting to see what the larger party boats do.... With Sandy, I think some of them rode the storm out anchored up back in the river or in other more protected marinas.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 PM
dakota560

Depends on where your boat is. We've kept our boat in during Irene and Sandy and survived while almost everyone we know who hauled had damage of some sort or complete loss. During Sandy our floating dock came within inches of floating off the pilings it was on with the tidal surge which would have been a complete disaster but it didn't thank God. If you have a trailer and can trailer your boat away from the shore area it might not be a bad alternative but my experience over the years is on average more boats seem to get damaged who haul out as opposed to boats who stay in and weather the storm with additional lines and bumpers. Removing your canvas if you have one to give the wind less to catch is also a good idea. In making your decision, you should factor in how protected or not your marina is. The marina we're in is protected from a strong NE unlike some other marinas. If I was going to haul, I'd haul as far as possible and outside of any potential tidal surge as it's the surge in more cases than not which causes damage rather than the wind.

Last edited by dakota560; 10-01-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-01-2015, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Floating docks are the way to go unless the storm surge is so severe that it lifts the rings around the pilings over the tops of the pilings. If that happens then there's nothing you can do. Our marina had that happen during Sandy. The dock rings lifted above the pilings and the floating docks came undone. I do know guys who rode out the storm on their boats and did just fine. Ours was as far back inland as we could get it. Even though it was in a boat yard, up on blocks, the surge came through the boatyard and lifted every boat off their blocks and put them into a pile once the tide dropped. Some even were hung up across the boat ramps when the tide receded.

We're staying in. Be very cautious however once the tide starts to recede so part of the boat doesn't get hung up on a finger dock or ladder that it was floating over when the tide was high. Be more cautious of the negligence or stupidity of your neighbor's boat.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i ended up pulling the boat. i paid to have it hauled..then I power-washed all the slim off...what a pain in the butt.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lesson learned in Sandy.. If you haul your boat LEAVE the drain plug in and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Most boats hauled or already out for season pulled drain plugs and removed their batteries. So the storm surge filled them up with seawater and ruined the boat because it sank for one storm tide.

Gerry is right. In the right protected & non fixed dock marina with doubled dock lines and chafing gear on you'll be better off.

Get buddy to check his and yours so you can double the surveillance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Staying in our slip for a few reasons. Our marina is fairly protected and we are on floating docks which typically are better for riding out storms and higher waters.

Had we left our last boat in the slip during Sandy we'd probably still have that boat. Instead we pulled it and had it up on stands in one of the local boats yards and it wound up in a pile of other boats that got knocked around by the storm surge. One of my friends left his in our Marina and was fine other then a little fiberglass and rub rail damage.

If you do decide to pull your boat, make sure you store it up on high ground or your better off leaving it in the water.

If I had a trailor for my boat and a truck capable of towing it, I'd probably pull it just to be on the safe side.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I stayed in.
doubled up my lines last night, checked it today , sitting fine.
BUT that being said, looked at the boat next to me to see he has his 30' tied with just 3/8" lines.
no bow lines , just a spring and stern lines.
and his lines were pulling tight on the NE side.
sure hope he doubles them tomorrow even if it is a day late . going to be a wicked weekend wind wise down there.
Tried taking a video of the inlet, which was crazy, but the wind and rain had me back in the truck quick

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club