NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hauling or staying in? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Hauling or staying in?

Just had my boat hauled out for the next few days in Atlantic. Are the majority staying in or hauling out. Regardless of the hurricane seeing 55 mph NE wind gust late week.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hauling or staying in?

It's always a tough call. So far, we're staying in. The tidal surge has not been mentioned or played up. The tides should be favorable at the time it comes through. Sandi gave us a direct hit. This one most likely will not. The sustained wind from Sandy caused lots of damage and forced water higher and farther up the rivers and bays and lagoons than any other storm.

We're going to adjust the storm lines and make sure the bilge pumps are working. We are also aware of the "lifting tides" that will eventually fall and perhaps strand even larger boats on finger docks once the tide goes out.

Sandy was an aberration. We've been through hurricanes before without any panic. Now, the sheer mention of the "H Word" has everyone scrambling.

Ask at your marina about what most captains are doing. Some insurance policies will pay for a hauling for preventative measures like a hurricane.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I hauled out..why chance it? If you have the means of taking her out then just do it..

Last edited by ChumDumpster; 09-30-2015 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	89838
Old 10-01-2015, 07:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If my boat was trailerable I would haul out and move it to higher ground. My 23' is home on the trailer. I already doubled my lines on my 36' Topaz. My insurance will pay to have it hauled and dry docked, I'm considering it.. Im keeping an eye on now CAT 3 hurricanes track.

Good luck to all.

"HALLIE LOREN Sportfishing" 36' Topaz Express
"HUNTER 2" 1972, 23' Chris Craft Lancer
Homeport- Keyport NJ,
Member MONGER NATION
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i don't know what to do...my boat is at a new floating dock on lake Louise in point beach...its kind of protected back there...
Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Staying in our slip for a few reasons. Our marina is fairly protected and we are on floating docks which typically are better for riding out storms and higher waters.

Had we left our last boat in the slip during Sandy we'd probably still have that boat. Instead we pulled it and had it up on stands in one of the local boats yards and it wound up in a pile of other boats that got knocked around by the storm surge. One of my friends left his in our Marina and was fine other then a little fiberglass and rub rail damage.

If you do decide to pull your boat, make sure you store it up on high ground or your better off leaving it in the water.

If I had a trailor for my boat and a truck capable of towing it, I'd probably pull it just to be on the safe side.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Staying in our slip for a few reasons. Our marina is fairly protected and we are on floating docks which typically are better for riding out storms and higher waters.

Had we left our last boat in the slip during Sandy we'd probably still have that boat. Instead we pulled it and had it up on stands in one of the local boats yards and it wound up in a pile of other boats that got knocked around by the storm surge. One of my friends left his in our Marina and was fine other then a little fiberglass and rub rail damage.

If you do decide to pull your boat, make sure you store it up on high ground or your better off leaving it in the water.

If I had a trailor for my boat and a truck capable of towing it, I'd probably pull it just to be on the safe side.
its just such a hassle in point, there is no close ramp. I need a ride from ramp to boat or ride my bike 5 miles and then navigate the boat down the river to the manasquan river club.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you need a ride, I know plenty of people to help, I'm in another time zone for a bit but if you need a hand, I know some close people
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My boat likes to float. Lengthening the lines and staying in. She survived Sandy in the water, while everyone on land had boats scattered all over the neighborhood.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216