NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Intex Mariner 4 - anybody owns one? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Intex Mariner 4 - anybody owns one?

I just bought an Intex Mariner 4 boat. It was sort of an impulse buy. I thought that I can take my kids (10 and 13) on some of the local lakes since most of the stuff is still closed due to the Covid-19. One thing I didn't realize is how heavy the boat must be. I just got the package delivered and I can barely lift the box. The boat is listed on Intex site as 91 lbs which I assume is the whole package but the boat will be that minus the plastic pump and set of lightweight aluminum oars. Probably not much difference.

So my question is, if you own the Mariner 4 how easy it is to carry it i.e. from the lawn where you have to inflate it to the boat launch? Lets say by two people (counting my two kids as one person). Obviously I don't want to drag a PVC boat on the grass and paved boat launch.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Intex Mariner 4 - anybody owns one?

Kinda answering my own question for anybody that may be considering the Intex Mariner 4.

I have opened the box and the truth is that almost half the weight is the floor. The boat itself is not that heavy and can be launched by an adult and a 10+ year old kid. Two adults - no problem. One person - not sure how that's possible without dragging the other end of the boat (and that's not a good idea with an inflatable).

Now, with the Intex floor being flexible and all the plastic slats falling out, it is pain in the neck to handle and store. I am currently replacing it with two piece DIY floor out of 19/32 plywood covered in outdoor grade carpet. The weight of the DIY floor is pretty much close to the weight of the original floor but a lot easier to handle since you have two flat pieces. It is also easier to store on the floor of my truck.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Can't you use one of those two wheeled kayak dollies they use? The fishermen kayaks are loaded with so much shit the things must weight way over 100 lbs and works for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
Kinda answering my own question …

I have opened the box and the truth is that almost half the weight is the floor. The boat itself is not that heavy and can be launched by an adult and a 10+ year old kid. Two adults - no problem. One person - not sure how that's possible without dragging the other end of the boat (and that's not a good idea with an inflatable).

Now, with the Intex floor being flexible and all the plastic slats falling out, it is pain in the neck to handle and store. I am currently replacing it with two piece DIY floor out of 19/32 plywood covered in outdoor grade carpet. The weight of the DIY floor is pretty much close to the weight of the original floor but a lot easier to handle since you have two flat pieces. It is also easier to store on the floor of my truck.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Can't you use one of those two wheeled kayak dollies they use? The fishermen kayaks are loaded with so much shit the things must weight way over 100 lbs and works for them.
I probably could but I am usually going with at least one of my sons, never alone. I was more concerned about the weight when I asked the question. Though now I see that the boat is not that heavy and that an adult and a kid can manage to launch it.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Then you can never go out alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
I probably could but I am usually going with at least one of my sons, never alone. I was more concerned about the weight when I asked the question. Though now I see that the boat is not that heavy and that an adult and a kid can manage to launch it.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber