NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Top shot for tog fishing - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Top shot for tog fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander II View Post
I usually use fluro top shot. Everyone seems to say it's a waste but I think it has less stretch than mono, less visible and more abrasion resistant. I buy it in 100 spools so it's not as expensive as buying 25 yard spools. I'll be comparing today to see if one is better than the other, just shorter, around 10'.
I agree those are good reasons to use fluoro, but found "Ande leader material." It is stiff and hard like fluoro, but about half the price, or less. I'll see how it goes.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander II View Post
I usually use fluro top shot. Everyone seems to say it's a waste but I think it has less stretch than mono, less visible and more abrasion resistant. I buy it in 100 spools so it's not as expensive as buying 25 yard spools. I'll be comparing today to see if one is better than the other, just shorter, around 10'.
i buy in 100 yd spools as well. i will be going back to what i am comfortable with in using flouro rather than mono. as long as drag is set correctly, pulling in the pigs should not be a problem.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I switched to 80# mono this year after breaking off a couple slobs last year using 60# mono. I used it everywhere I have fished this year from RI down to VA. I have had no problems getting bit and catching fish with 80#. I bring along a 50# mono set up also. When the fishing was tough, I have switched to the 50# rod and found it makes no difference at all. If the fish aren't biting it doesn't matter what size line you have. I'm thinking about buying a spool of 100# Ande to try out down south.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisb View Post
I switched to 80# mono this year after breaking off a couple slobs last year using 60# mono. I used it everywhere I have fished this year from RI down to VA. I have had no problems getting bit and catching fish with 80#. I bring along a 50# mono set up also. When the fishing was tough, I have switched to the 50# rod and found it makes no difference at all. If the fish aren't biting it doesn't matter what size line you have. I'm thinking about buying a spool of 100# Ande to try out down south.
So you use this on your top shot, what are you using for hook leaders, the same??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
So you use this on your top shot, what are you using for hook leaders, the same??
I use the German perlon mono sold by Trik Fish or Triple Fish in 80# for the snelled hooks. I like the softness, stretch and abrasion resistance.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use the Perlon (ultra stiff) leaders too. Our own Richie Tropics ties & sells Perlon-snelled Tog hooks (Snafu, Sliders, Single) and Perlon leader material - highly recommended !
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisb View Post
I use the German perlon mono sold by Trik Fish or Triple Fish in 80# for the snelled hooks. I like the softness, stretch and abrasion resistance.
80 lb mono for the hooks??. wow.... Its funny, to me that seems perfectly fine for a fish that bites its food out of tangled wreckage thats festooned with cables, wires, and junk.. However a lot of good fishermen including some very fine charter/party boat captains would say thats way too heavy and you won't get bit on slow days.. The "new norm" for slow pick days is 30 lb, max flouro... To me it sounds ridiculous, but I have read it right on these pages a bunch of times. glad you do well with heavy mono leaders.. This past year a charter boat mate on a sea bass trip retied my rigs saying they were too heavy at 40 lbs.. He went down to 30... i kept switching the 2 rods I brought one with his rigs and one with mine.. Not a rats ass worth of difference in the strike rate.. Personally, I think you could use wire line for hook snells and catch tog...bob
Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

All depends where you're fishing. Northern NJ esp inshore where its mostly rock piles you can get away with the light stuff. But once the bite moves offshore or southerly where you're fishing all wreckage, then heavy is the way to go. I know a capt that has broken off 65lb pp and 80lb leader on fish that was taking drag!!
Who's going to break the 30lb record???
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
All depends where you're fishing. Northern NJ esp inshore where its mostly rock piles you can get away with the light stuff. But once the bite moves offshore or southerly where you're fishing all wreckage, then heavy is the way to go. I know a capt that has broken off 65lb pp and 80lb leader on fish that was taking drag!!
Who's going to break the 30lb record???
That line was probably badly frayed, or rubbed against something during the battle... I can't imagine a tog big enough to break 65 PP line.. However I DO hope to hang one like that someday. I was thinking more about the fact that some very good, very knowledgable, tog fishermen are now saying 30 lb max is whats needed on some days to get tog to bite,, The concept sounds alien to me, but those guys know a lot more, and catch a lot more than I will.. Yet other guys use 80 lb, and are happy with their catch rate. Seems like a dichotomy..... bob
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was on the OE this past fall fishing northerly and I'll admit, there was a particular asian gent (he knows who he is, lol) fishing to the left of me with 30lb floro and outfished me. So I wont count it out that some days the line choice does make a difference.