NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thoughts on good "rough water small hull.. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Thoughts on good "rough water small hull..

Around 17 or so feet.. What would everyone do in my situation??.. I own 3 boats right now.. An 18 foot Starcraft aluminum with a 100 HP,.. Old 1972 hull.. Had it out on the ocean in stiff 30 mph south winds a few times.. Like a washing machine out there twice this year when I had it down to NJ, and it handled it quite well.. Dry in the boat due to nice freeboard,- kind of lumpy of course under power due to aluminum hull, but actually not that bad for inshore fishing.. I have ridden in worse...

Also have an old 1970 fiberglass 15 foot "whaler style" side console with a 30.. Its by a long out of business company from the Carolinas called CMF.. Fine for the bay, wide open flat floor, lots of open space for fishing. Not a good rough water boat.. Also have a 1980 Grumman 4.4 "Metric Series 14 foot aluminum with a 28 HP.. Very rugged , heavily built boat that is insanely stable in water that NO 14 footer should be out in.. I have read that some consider these the best aluminum boats ever made..
So I have most lake/river/ bay fishing covered, and the boats are fairly towable, even the 18 foot Starcraft... I simply want something a little more " ocean friendly" for when the wind kicks up.. Still needs to tow easily with my Chevy 1500 8 cyl pickup.. I was thinking a clean used Aquasport 170, or maybe an Aquasport Osprey 175 , one of which I had years ago, and sold,, Should have kept it, it was solid and stable, and a good looker as well... I am also considering used 17 CC boats by Mako, Angler, Proline , Hydrasports,etc Will consider anything really.. Also considering a Whaler 17 Montauk, but they are expensive, and IMHO not that great as a rough water boat...
The most I will be offshore would be maybe 3- 4 miles for sea bass, tog, maybe late season fluke when they start congregating on lumps out from the shoreline areas... Looking for ideas on the best compromise CC hulls that are light enough to tow 500 mile round trips, will be decent on gas, and can take it when the wind kicks up and you are still 8-10 miles from the ramp. Thinking 17-18 feet, 90-115 HP OB.
My Osprey 175 was able to run through really rough water very softly for its size .. If it was too rough for that 17 1/2 footer it was too rough for a LOT of hulls, even bigger ones..

Just looking for ideas, and conversation on what others might be happy with in a smaller "ocean friendly" hull.... I could simply use the Starcraft, but it certainly isn't the ocean boat a mako or aquasport is..
. btw, I am very aware of the ocean conditions and the weather, and never take chances, always have a 6 hp kicker motor on board, often carry a second 2 hp kicker as well, and always have 2 oars, and all CG equipment.. I realize bigger is safer, but I need to keep weight down at the distances I am forced to tow.. The AH Municipal Ramp is 227 miles from my door... Just looking for opinions... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-08-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Thoughts on good "rough water small hull..

Personally I'd go as big as your comfortable with. What's the tow rating on the 1500?

A 21 foot CC will be no where near what your max tow rating is. I haven't looked it up but what would the weight difference be between a 17/18 footer compared to a 21?

21CC with Yammie power.....

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Id say you have 3 options.

1. Buy as big of a boat you can afford and leave it at a marina on the trailer. Show up, drop it in, use it all day and put her away. No need to tow.

2. Charters! They do all the work, you enjoy the day and you save a TON of money.

3. Make friends with people with boats and chip in some gas money and use a scrub brush well.

Trailering a light boat to use in the ocean is just risky. A "kicker" engine might not even push you out of the way of a freighter with a west wind and outgoing tide. Unless you're willing to work the bay and areas inside, a smaller craft only puts you in harms way. Maybe not the first or second time....but there will be that Oh Sh*t moment you may regret.

The again, what do I know? I bought a boat and took out a loan = not very bright!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I dunno, so far I have to disagree.. The 17 -18 foot glass center consoles are certainly capable of more than just fishing the bay.. Are you guys saying a 15 minute ride from Shark River up to the rocks off Deal and then a mile or 2 off is too dangerous for a well designed CC hull of 17-18 feet??
I had the Osprey 175 and my old Wellcraft 17 CC out there a lot years ago and never felt in "danger" at all.. If its blowing like hell, and too rough to be safe, I don't go out in the ocean anyway, its that simple.. However, the type boat I mentioned is designed to use in the ocean if you are reasonable in your expectations, and observant of the weather.. I have no death wish believe me, but I also think a towable well designed Center console by a respected brand is more than capable of inshore, relatively close in ocean fishing, especially with good power, and 2 kickers with separate fuel systems, which is how I do it.. i carry spare and separate tanks for the kickers..
Maybe attitudes have changed, but I recall seeing tons of Mako, Aquasport, Proline, Whaler 17's out there over the decades.. Perhaps thats not done anymore, I don't know.. had my 18 Starcraft out there twice in 2016 and the ocean was covered in caps both times, and I never once felt in danger, and we fished reasonably comfortably, and a good stoutly built glass boat of similar size should actually do much better.. Party boats are out, packed all the time, and "open charters" are getting too pricey so I have just decided to get a boat designed more for salt water than the Starcraft.. 19 foot is about as big as I would go I suppose.... bob
Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I dunno, so far I have to disagree.. The 17 -18 foot glass center consoles are certainly capable of more than just fishing the bay.. Are you guys saying a 15 minute ride from Shark River up to the rocks off Deal and then a mile or 2 off is too dangerous for a well designed CC hull of 17-18 feet??b
I'm not saying that at all. Just rather buy larger from the get go than go with a 17 and wish I had more room.

Btw, you run 2 kickers? So you have 3 outboards hanging off the transom of an 18 footer?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Older style 21 Whaler ! That 21 is extremely stable , however doesn't like short stiff chop , but that being said it will run it fairly decent . Used boat for all inshore & tuna in MH . Great sea boat just slow down in heavy seas .
Great fishing platform no rock n roll , unsinkable well built if u can find one in good shape bears a look ! If I remember correctlly not that heavy !
If ur primary fishing is in shore then decent boat . Owned one of originals in 72 three years 72 to 75, with twin 90 Mercs
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I'm not saying that at all. Just rather buy larger from the get go than go with a 17 and wish I had more room.

Btw, you run 2 kickers? So you have 3 outboards hanging off the transom of an 18 footer?
No. my current configuration is 100 main power, 6 HP on a retractable bracket, and a little 2 HP stowed.. If the main engine should fail, then the kicker fails, I take the 6 HP off the bracket and stick the 2 HP on.. It doesn't go fast, but moves the boat ok, and is a LOT better than rowing.. I test these backups continually throughout the season.. I am a retired mechanic and tend to be anal about the way gasoline engines run.
I suppose I could go as bigs as 19 but as i said, that Aquasport Osprey 175 was a beefy boat, all glass no wood, and handled rough water easily, and for me would be more than enough for bay and inshore fluke/blues/seabass/tog.. they just aren't that easy to find... It would be all the boat I would need for inshore, but anything similar would be fine as well.. More flattened planing hulls like the older Whaler Montauk are stable but pound like hell in a chop.. I would prefer a semi V thats solidly built.. I am prone towards Aquasports because I owned one and know its capabilities but as said, I am open to others , and thats why I am asking opinions hoping maybe a few members here know the hulls first hand, by owning or fishing in them.. I am always looking out for an Osprey 175 as its beefy and beamy, and i am familiar with it.. just can't find one... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 01-09-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I tow my 99 22WA wellcraft with my 05 GMC Sierra 1500 without issue. I keep it down at AH on the trailer for more convenience though. If you can find one in good shape a V20 wellcraft is a good handling boat that you should be able to tow no problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I would sell all 3 and find yourself a used Maritime Skiff. An 18 will work for you, maybe even the 16. Simple, easy to maintain, tow and run. Super stable. Float in very little water. I have a 01 Maritime skiff Pioneer Pilot House 20 with a Honda 90. Like a whaler, as it was designed and built from someone at Whaler's commercial division when they were built in Mass, they can/do pound in a short chop. With trim tabs and judicious use of the throttle, it can be over come for the most part. Great for the bays and rivers but yet I've had this boat wreck fishing to the AC Reefs and Garden State North wrecks from LEI and Sandy Hook Reef from Shark River Inlet and have gotten caught in some nasty stuff for the return trip. Never once did I not think this hull would get me back safely. And fuel economy, unreal. Yes 20'7" hull with 90hp. I love the boat so much I bough a 14'er. That one has been out Murrell's Inlet SC and towed down to Sebastian FL. If you want to see it or a sea trial, I'd be happy to take you out. Capt.Matt
MirrorCraft 16 Tin Northport Troller Johnson 25