NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Planers for those without Outriggers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default New Planers for those without Outriggers

We brought in the new Redi Rig Planers and the response has been 100% positive. They will take your lures out at a 60-85 degree angle an they will hold Stretch 25 Lures and other lures that may be heavier or have a good amount of resistance.

They are good for trolling bass, tuna, albies, bonito and so on. I had them out a good 80-90 feet away from the boat.

Main selling points are:
- They do not fight back when reeling in a fish. The design releases them from the main connection, allowing them to slide in with the fish, not digging deep and causing you more resistance.

- They will hold some pretty heavy lures. Taking them away from the boat, creating a much nicer spread.

- They are much more forgiving than traditional planers on the turns. The slack side will float and slow down, while the outside

- They are adjustable, you control the tension for the release

I played with an idea I had right away. I used heavy rigging leader to crimp a loop around the post, just below the rubber grip. I then tied the line off to the cleat, so that when the fish hit, the planer was not even a part of the connection. The planer stayed out there, never a part of the fish. This worked perfectly.