NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How to care for your catch - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default How to care for your catch

Well the fall season is almost upon us and the fishing is heating up!
Numerous reports of Tuna, Stripers, Fluke, Blues and Ling are being reported and it looks like it could be a very productive year.

That being said, I thought I would share a few ideas and techniques for handling and preparing your catch this year. Feel free to add your ideas and comment to the post as well.

One reason I felt compelled to share my ideas is because all too often I see a certain amount of waste when it comes to our precious resource. I do a fair amount of fishing and inevitably I see practices every season that can’t possibly bode well for the quality of meat when it arrives home. (Leaving any fish in a burlap bag in the sun will not work) With all the money we spend to actually go fishing, why not take the time to prepare the fish properly if we intend on eating them or give them away.

I will first provide some general procedures which should apply in most cases and elaborate in more detail for specific species. Most Charters will take care of your catch properly but it is up to you to prepare it properly when you get it home. If considering a “Party Boat” to do your fishing, you have a little more work to do. For the purposes of this post I will focus on Party Boat procedures.

Some of the following may seem like common sense and it is. Bring ice on even the coldest day. Don’t keep more than you can handle and have fun.

Preparation is key before the trip

Questions I ask myself are…..

Do I have enough packaging materials, vacuum seal bags and paper towels when I get home?
Do I have time to deal with the catch when I get back or the next day?
Do I have room in the refrigerator or freezer?
Do I have an area to prepare the catch?
Are my knives sharpened?

If you answered yes to the above questions you are off to a good start.

Bring appropriate sized cooler. (For the boat and the fish) An example may be, if you are intending on keeping ten large Bluefish, bring a cooler large enough to handle them. Ask the captain ahead of time to eliminate any problems. I have had situations where certain boats frown on bringing large coolers on board. Bring enough ice to last the whole day and bring a knife to bleed your fish. I am an advocate of bleeding most fish.
In my opinion the quality of the meat will be much better. I always bleed Bluefish, Striped Bass, Cod, Pollock and Blackfish.

You can bleed a fish by cutting it under the throat or by a few stabs under the gill plates on both sides. Bleeding works best when the fish is still alive.

Once the fish is bled, put it on the ice in the cooler. I like to add a little water as I go so I don’t melt all the ice in warm weather. At the end of the trip the fish should be rock hard in the slurry. Some guys put some kosher salt in the ice slurry as well. (Keeps the water colder).

Tip the mates well. (I say at least 20% of the fare)They will help you if you treat them right and they will bleed the fish in most cases for you if you ask. Obviously if the mate is busy gaffing one bluefish after the other you will have to take care of this yourself. I have the mates fillet my fish as well if they are good at it and most are.

Once you get the fish home put it right in the refrigerator until you are ready to pack it.
I sometimes will wait until the next day if necessary.

Vacuum seal your fish.

I use a Food Saver type of vacuum sealer. Buy the rolls in bulk and make your own sizes.

1) Trim your fish. Chances are there will be a small amount of bones or fins still attached to the fillets you have. I check over each one and remove any remaining bones and fins with a sharp knife. Remove all dark meat from Bluefish with sharp knife.
2) Rinse your fillets off in colds water with kosher salt to remove any blood or scales. (4 quarts of water and ½ cup kosher salt.) I don’t rinse tuna***
3) Dry your fillets well. I dry them on paper towels and go through quite a bit, but it is worth it. Dry the fish well and you won’t ruin you vacuum sealer.
4) Cut fillets into individual portions and place the fillets flat in bag.
5) Don’t overload the vacuum bags.

If you don’t have a vacuum sealer or cannot get one, wrap the fish tightly in clear plastic wrap and then foil. There are also some manual vacuum type sealer bags available at most food stores.

I hope you found this post useful. If the fish you catch are prepared properly, you will enjoy them much more. Good luck!

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealed_Macks.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	26353  
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: How to care for your catch

Just remember the more salt in the slurry the faster the ice melts like throwing salt on your sidewalk in the winter. Some block ice helps.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman
Just remember the more salt in the slurry the faster the ice melts like throwing salt on your sidewalk in the winter. Some block ice helps.

Dont throw salt, use the salt water added to ice that is cubes, crushed, shaved, whatever you prefer and the salt (sea water) is not only to keep it colder, but it cools down the fish a ton faster from hot to cold. and this was even proven by Myth Busters doing it with a cold beer, they found this is the fastest way to cool a beer, think it did a 70 degree to 40 degree beer or something in like 2 minutes or something like that.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The kosher salt really does cool it down a lot and fast too,What about breaking open the plastic bags of ice as the day progresses so as not to melt a bulk of the ice in one shot when you add the kosher salt. You can add the salt as the day progresses.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I bleed EVERYTHING! Even fluke are better bled. you can see the difference from bled fish and non bled fish clearly!

I keep a 5 gallon bucket around, cut the throat, let it bleed into the bucket for five minutes, then off to the cooler. I think this is the most important step in caring for your catch.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: How to care for your catch

Great post Leif! I don't know anyone who is as painstaking as you are when it comes to taking a fish from gaff to pan!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very good advice, I have seen fish caught and then put on the wooden planks of a pier for 5 or 6 hours in the hot summer sun. Next day, the guy says, "man those fish are really funky! Did you try eating any of yours?" I recomend trimming ALL the DARK meat off any fish when preparing to freeze or cook. I find that this is where much of the oil is stored and it will migrate into the white flesh when frozen and intensify the "fishy" taste. I have found that bleeding fish will improve the appearance of the fillets, when I bled one bluefish and kept the second one un-bled the flavor of the two fillets when cooked FRESH was identical. Bleeding may improve the flavor of the fish after freezing? I will have to try that. I find it easiest to cut the fish at the tail, down to the bone on both sides and then it will bleed out easily.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 AM
NJFishing.com Member

wow thats a great post and fish pictures good advice to boot. I bookmarked this thread but happy to supply hunting pictures.
FishinG BloG
AvidA
trout fishing
fishing women
More hunting information:
JHO
So you asked for links to free picture hosts them so I thought I'd post my own Fish pictures gallery
You can check out most on www.google.com

favorite links:

Braggin' Board
Saltwater Fishing
Freshwater Fishing
Fishing Women
Trout fishing pictures
Bass fishing pictures
Salmon fishing pictures
Walleye fishing pictures
Catfish fishing
Crappie fishing pictures
Striper fishing pictures
Deep Sea Fishing
game fish pictures
Billfish pictures
Grouper fishing pictures
snook fishing pictures
Tuna fishing pictures
Tarpon fishing pictures
Cobia fishing pictures
Snapper fishing pictures
Halibut fishing pictures
King Mackerel fishing pictures
Barracuda fishing pictures
Fly Fishing pictures
Bowfishing pictures
Kayak Fishing pictures
Spear Fishing pictures
Ice Fishing pictures
Fly tying pictures
Rod Building
Taxidermy pictures

Last edited by AvidA; 03-21-2011 at 07:56 PM..