NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How Did You Get Into Fishing? - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Red face Re: How Did You Get Into Fishing?

It was 1944, I was 7 and my dad took me on a party boat out of Atl. City wreck fishing. One guy on the other side of the boat got seasick and caught a lot of ribbing. I remember someone saying he was chumming--I asked my dad if he thought I should chum---That made everybody laugh...What did I, a kid on his first fishing trip, know?

Didn't fish again 'til I was 11 or 12..had a split bamboo boat pole and also a bamboo surf rod. Spinning reel for the surf rod was a "Beachcomber" made by the Lionel train Corp..

My parents wintered in the Keys then and I'd wade the flats for bonefish or use the Boston Whaler to fish the reef around Aligator Light. I remember anchoring on the reef's edge, looking through a glass bottom bucket at the edge. It always amazed me at the abrupt drop-off into deep water, a 13' boat with the bow in 40' and the stern in 1000'..it scared me also, and I think that was good.
My mom and dad well both cremated and we spread their ashes in the gulf stream off of aligator Light as they wished.

Didn't do anything after that as I moved to Pennsy until maybe 20 years ago when my then boss took me out on the Queen Mary for day blues, didn't catch anything so we went out again at night and did catch 'em. Fished on her the next year and then I met Muldune and went out on the Gambler for blues. He convinced me to try a tuna trip..didn't take much convincing..and I fell in love with that and have been doing tuna, blues, stripers and fluke with Bobby and the crew ever since. I'll tell you, when I can't do the tuna trips anymore, or the inshore trips, just spread my ashes in the Hudson Canyon 'cause I won't be living!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows, maybe I'll meet up with my parents in the stream.

Chucky
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: How Did You Get Into Fishing?

My dad took me at age 10 and two younger brothers up to Morsan to buy conventional Garcia reels which we put Dacron line on and also bought heavier poles for the surf. The first day we went down to Sandy Hook Fishing Area 2 we only caught a cold. We also learned the art of taking out birds nests. The highlight of the trip was the stop at Stewart's on the top of the hill in the Highlands (French fries, Onion rings, California burger, Root Beer).

A next door neighbor was moving and gave us a 12 ft wooden run about with a frozen 25 hp Johnson on the back. Me and my brother John worked almost ½ a summer and got it running. We used it, sold it and bought a bigger boat. After a few rounds working with Mahogany ,we did some work on other boats at Browns in Morgan and learned from the old timers a little about fishing. Finally we came over to South River where my dad became the commodore and we had a 28 ft wooden Lures. We fished all over the bay (when we could get the railroad bridge to open) not knowing what we were doing but the memories were priceless. Sadly my dad died at 52 but he showed me a place where I can get away from the rest of the world, not caring about yesterday or tomorrow. (the sight, the sound, the feel, the smell and sometimes the taste of FISHING!!!)
Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: How Did You Get Into Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
All these sweet water reports got me thinking of how I got into fishing.... Thought it would make an interesting topic for the board. Brought back some great memories and am hoping it will do the same for others....

Please share your story....Here is mine:

I got the fishing bug from my Uncle Al in PA.... He was an outdoorsmen and loved to fish and hunt. Whenever he'd come out and visit our family he always found time to take me and my brother Joe fishing or crabbing. He was also a very colorful guy and like most hunters and fisherman, he could weave a tale a mile long. It was a gift he had. He could make a story about going to go to the grocery store a NY Times best seller and he also had a heart for kids. I could sit around listening to him for hours, hanging on every word as he'd reaccount his " adventures in the bush". He was quite a guy and one of those people you meet as a kid that has a profound effect on your life.

I also have some great memories of opening day of trout season in my youth..... It was like the days leading up to Christmas.... We'd sleep over my cousin's house in Clark and fish the Rahway River. During the summer we'd ride our Stingray bikes to Roosevelt Park and fish for sunnies and catfish with worms we dug up in Mom's garden. I remember the days leading up to opening day. I'd find myself in places like Herman's Sporting Goods for hours eyeing up all the stuff I needed and would buy with the money I earned doing chores or got for a birthday... I still find myself in tackle stores for hours checking everything out. Some things never change.

Like most everyone else, life got very busy for me in my late teens and early twenties and I only got to fish occationally. Work, school and a new family were the priorities then. However, every Spring I'd set up a fishing trip with the guys, usually up to the Thousand Islands. Been doing it for 20 years now and we've traveled to a number of different places. I'm always greatful to have this opportunity since many of us only manage to get together this one time a year. Always a good time and more materials for fishing stories.

I got into salt water fishing a bit later in life.... I was invited to go out on a night Bluefish trip and was instanly hooked..... A few years later I got a nice tax refund and came home and announced to my wife Ruth that we bought a boat. $4000 with a slip in Morgan Marina paid for the season. I had a lot of fun but dumped more money into that old tub (the boat that is ) then I care to recount. Turned out that Ruth gets sea sick so I thought it only fitting to name the boat Ruthless .

I've been fishing and boating in the Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook areas since the late 80s, when a Striper was big news at the dock. My brother Joe and I still fish together often. It's a great chance for us to get away from the daily grind and spend time quality time together with our friends and family. It's also a great opportunity to follow along in Uncle Al's foot steps and pass along the love and enjoyment of this great sport to others.

Up until ten years ago, Uncle Al would still come to visit and I'd gladly clear my calendar for the chance to spend more time with him and to take him out fishing. The last time we fished together was with his son in law and grandson Timmy. We went out on our boat and he and I just sat back and beamed from ear to ear watching his grandson Tim catch his first ever salt water fish. It was only fitting that we slammed the Weakfish that day and all the while he was sharing his stories. I'd heard them all a thousand times but they never got old. Unlce Al has since passed on. I think about him often and still miss him very much. If there is a stream or field in heaven he's all over it, or telling stories about it.

Make it a priority to take kid fishing this season, yours or someone elses.... Leave the Gameboy at the dock and give them your undivided attention. You never know, you might just change a kids life. It certainly changed mine.

Great story Gerry! I cant wait to write mine. (TIGHT LINES TO ALL)