NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How to catch more Ling - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default How to catch more Ling

How to catch more ling on a party boat.

Many of the sponsors on this site like the Jamaica II and Norma K III target ling and they are good at it. Let’s support them this winter!!

I am not an expert and open to any comments. If you have comments or questions feel free to ask.

Ling otherwise known as Red Hake have been on the comeback the past few years. I see more and more interest in the species with the decline or restrictions on other species such as Winter Flounder, Mackerel, Blackfish, and Cod. I have also noticed that many people have an interest in these tasty fish but are confused about the best way to catch, store, and cook them.
To that end I would like to provide some basic tips on the slightly underrated red hake. There are many sponsor boats that sail for them throughout the winter. I have fished on most of the Party Boats that target them but my favorite are the 3-9 magic hour trips. While ling can be caught both day and night they seem to “come alive” after dark.

Tackle (rods reels)
Nothing fancy is required. I like to use or bring the following:

7ft med action rod rated for 25lb test and Penn 140 or 146 squidder or equal. I load it with 30-50lb braid.
30lb snap at end of braid or 10ft or so of 30-50lb mono.

7ft med action rod for 30-50lb test and Penn Jigmaster 500 or equal. I load it with 50-65lb braid.
30lb snap at end of braid or 10ft or so of 30-50lb mono.

Rigs
Single or double snelled 1/0-2/0 circle hooks of “J” hooks on 12-20in of 50lb leader material. (Circle hooks hook the fish and they don’t fall off the hook)
You can loop on the leader above the sinker loop or use a three way swivel and large snap for the sinker. (Keep it simple)

Weight
5-12oz bank sinkers. (8-10 Average) Generally you can go lighter with the braid but be respectful to others and use enough weight to stay on the bottom straight up and down.

Bait
Clams, squid, mackerel, bergal strips, gulp bait.
(SMALL BAIT IS BEST) You may not catch the big one but you will catch more of them. Especially with the circle hooks.
Try Bergal (Cunner) strips when the bergals are thick and stealing your bait and even when they are not.
Try smaller pieces of clams in 1in sometimes they slaughter them. My son tried them once and he killed them on the crab at night.

Helpful hints….

Check your bait often when getting hits and no fish.

Keep the bait small.

Watch others and change your strategy if needed. Especially the Mates!! Some things work at different times.

Move the bait. A little bounce here and there can do the trick. Some guys constantly bounce the sinker.

If your rig keeps getting tangled change it!!

Keep your hooks small, sharp, bait not too big. Keep the bait on the bottom as much as possible and you will out fish.

Move around the boat if possible. Be respectful of others.

Finally…..

Keep those ling cold and fresh. I bring ice on even the coldest day. You spend money to go. Why not take care of your fish??

Let the mates fillet them and tip them well. They will take care of you and do a good job Especially with ling.

Ling are tasty and can be fried steamed w/butter and made into fish cakes.

Contrary to popular belief Ling may be frozen and last months in the freezer if frozen properly.
Not in a ball in a bag.
After rinsing in salt water and drying vacuum seal or freeze flat in plastic wrap then put in a zip lock bag.

CATCH SOME LING

Leif

Last edited by Leif; 11-10-2008 at 11:29 AM..