NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Common Sense In The Fog - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Common Sense In The Fog

Total Pea Soup Today. Had The Radar All Day In Raritan Bay. Dangerous Conditions For People With No Common Sense What So Ever. Guys Trolling Through Anchored Fleets With No Radar. Had A Boat Come Up To Me In A Total Panic, Ran My Lines Over While I Was On Anchor And Asked Me How To Get To Keyport. Gave Him A Course And He Still Drove In Circles Trying To Come To His Heading. The Two Older Gentlemen With Him Were Absolutely Horrified. I Calm Them Down, I Hope They Made It. What I Am Getting At Here Is If You Don't Have The Experience And The Proper Electronics Stay In Port Until
The Conditions Are Suitable And Safe. Don't Want To See Anyone Get Hurt.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Common Sense In The Fog

I cancelled my trip today due to the fog, I stayed at the dock for about 3 hours and watched all the yahoo's flying out the river, only to turn around and go home when they could no longer see where they were going, the best was the one boat the came within 200' of running into my dock at full throttle. really makes you wonder...........
Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Site Sponsor

No Radar -- You should not be on the water in the fog. To may people out today with out it.

Once again Stay at the dock if you do not have radar someone is going to get hurt.

RFA-NJ Member www.rfanj.org
SSFFF Contributer
Old 05-16-2009, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Saw four small boats leave Shark River Inlet without radar today...and that fog never lifted along the shore (ocean). Have to wonder...

Unreal....

Heavy fog today...

Joe T.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs down Re: Common Sense In The Fog

Quote:
Once again Stay at the dock if you do not have radar
Having radar is only half the battle!!! You should know how to use it. Unfortinately, I know of some people that have radar and still have no business being out there in conditions like we had today. It's sad that you are given a boat liscense after completing such a total BS multiple guess test.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wink Re: Common Sense In The Fog

Another thought, "Yes I have radar & I know how to use it. But, there are all these yahoos out there (See above posts) that don't have radar and probably don't even know how to read a compass, or think there GPS will help them in the fog, so I think that even though I need the money I will stay home today and stay safe." Good choice Captain Matt.

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

It was a dangerous day on the water today. Visibility was about 1/2 mile. I don't think a radar was a necessity, but common sense was helpful. We had no problem seeing most vessels nearing out 16 footer. However, my handheld GPS was vital for our safe return home. One boater was actually installing his new radar at the dock. Safe to say he didn't have a clue. Most worrisome part of the day were the numerous large vessels that were running at 30+ knots through the fog. Overall, though, it was one of the worst midday fogs that I've seen in the area. Current was ripping to boot and made striper fishing nearly impossible. Large (10lb+ blues from Keansburg to Keyport) throughout the water column. We ended up boating at least 60 large blues prior to going back to port
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Radar is great,but dont forget to have a couple of "lookouts".The Capt. has his hands full just running in those conditions. Having someone on each side of the vessel looking for that floating timber the radar is not going to pickup could be priceless.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I got stuck at work till 11a.m. Guess I didn't miss anything other than a ride to my boat, because I know i'D never go out in it.
Best part of these stories is how many boats have no radar and no GPS. It's a sick feeling being out on the water and not knowing which way is up. Hopefully alot of boaters learned a lesson today!

S.S.F.F.F. Supporter
Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fiberglass aint all that on radar images either. Absent metal a lot of boats won't show up. Add some sea clutter if there's chop and good bye Boster Whaler Montauk, radar or no radar. And as some one already stated many people don't know how to run their radar anyway.

Been out in pea soup, sometimes by misfortune. Some times by job assignment on the tow boat.

One of the funniest stories was on a fogged out day up by Hoffman, on way back heard guy on Channel 16 looking for gas. Found him using the radio Direction Finder. He was lost. He had no GPS/Loran. No compass. He needed gas because he had no idea where he was.

I gave him gas and he wanted me to lead him back to Sewaren ramp. No thanks, I'm going back to Shrewsbury River to the south. Lead him to the nearest Reach Channel buoy. I told hm to run buoy to buoy and the #'s go up. In the high 50's is Ward Point. He should have enough gas to run an hour or so and sound your horn every minute or two. And keep your ears open.

I get back to Shrewsbury #1 by the SH Bug Light and its still 100' vis - a guy in a large 36' needed to go back to Rumson Country Club in the Shrewsbury River around #32 can. Lead him back to the #32 can and he had to follow the stick channel in. Suggested he zig zag and watch his depth ( boat had a 30" draft). He made it.

FOG SIGNALS
Was the anchored guy ringing the bell every minute like he's supposed to? I doubt it. Probably did not even have a bell. Or the drifters sound the double fog signal for that matter? People go out ill-equiped and clueless. Even if they sound the proper signals, few even know what it means anyway.

Capt. Frank