NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Masks - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Masks

Let's prevent the inevitable and destroy the economy and everything we enjoy while we are at it.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman View Post
Let's prevent the inevitable and destroy the economy and everything we enjoy while we are at it.
What exactly is inevitable?

Look at Taiwan - their covid vaccine program stalled out bc since the beginning of the pandemic they logged less than 450 cases. They literally don't have enough + covid cases to run even a phase 1 trial...what a problem to have!

Currently over 53 days with ZERO community transmission cases. Schools never closed. Businesses are open. No runaway unemployment. 7 dead from covid. I repeat, SEVEN total deaths from covid in a country of 24 million, with massive tourism/business travel with China.

How did they do it? The government commandeered every facility that can conceivably produce masks, and within 3 weeks distributed enough masks for every man woman and child in the country. Everyone wore them, no one cried or made a fuss.

If this pandemic doesn't convince everyone that your political ideology doesn't mean shit without a reasonably competent government, nothing will.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:29 PM
dakota560

Actually there's been quite a few posts in the fishing only section remembering and paying condolences to people both involved and not involved in the industry who have unfortunately passed, a very kind and thoughtful thing to do but nothing fishing related.

We're living in unique and extreme times to put it mildly with this virus which none of us will hopefully ever have to deal with again in our lifetimes. Personally I don't think a little editorial banter and thought sharing about the state of affairs is necessarily a bad thing or one not directly or indirectly tied to fishing and every industry for that matter. I also understand it was never the intended topic of discussions in the fishing reports forum but then again when the site was built I don't think anyone accounted for what we're all going through right now. Maybe like the non-fishing forum section to isolate non-fishing discussions, make a temporary Covid forum if sponsors and members don't prefer the reports section convoluted with Covid or political comments or request those discussions take place in the non-fishing forum. Personally for a period of time until we see where this thing goes, a separate forum might be better so the topic doesn't monopolize the non-fishing forum as well and create the same concerns.

Like it or not, if this virus continues on the trajectory it's on, a vaccine isn't developed timely and the general public continues to ignore precautionary measures, we won't have to worry about fishing reports because there won't be any. Talks are already happening about the possibility of a second lock down, God forbid that happens then as we'll all be fundamentally screwed.

Gerry I understand sponsors aren't paying their hard earned money to have site members listen to CNN, like I said maybe a temporary forum intended to discuss Covid for those who wish to without detracting from the integrity of the fishing reports forum which I believe was Capt. Ron's purpose of his comment would be a good go between solution. We're all saturated with this crap so I don't come here to discuss Covid either but at the same time if it helps people understand the severity of what we're dealing with, deal with it, get some stuff off their chest, and maybe even change behavior and save lives, why not give people an avenue to discuss it. Just isolate it in a forum solely for that person and I think everyone would be happy. Vaccine comes along you can shut the forum down and we can all put this in the rear view mirror, God willing!

Just food for thought.

Last edited by dakota560; 07-25-2020 at 08:01 AM..
Old 07-25-2020, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
I am as conservative as they come. With that said I wish I saw more voluntary distancing and mask wearing. It can’t hurt and may help.

Just my worthless opinion
When we factor out common comorbidities like asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, cancer, & COPD, as well as the more gratuitous, lamentable & eminently avoidable consequences of disinfectant injections, off-label ingestion of chloroquine & its derivatives, and jamming UV lights up our butts, the novel coronavirus is just as devastating to those of us who are conservative as they come as it is to the more sane & rational among us. Social distancing & mask-wearing have been the linchpins of successful pandemic response in nations that have managed to avoid what we're now suffering in the US, and ignoring Captain Clorox, et al. while heeding the medical expertise he's trying to suppress would definitely lead to better outcomes.
Why following commonsense guidance from qualified experts has somehow become a partisan issue is beyond me...
Old 07-26-2020, 02:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

About 2 weeks ago, I read a posting on FB from a well known party boat. It explained their “new rules”.

If you are sick, you will not be allowed to board. (Good. Why someone sick would want to fish on a party boat is beyond me).

Masks must be worn to board. (Also good).

There is no more social distancing on the boat. (Bad. So basically the boat will be packed).

Once out to sea, patrons can choose to wear a mask or not. (Awful. So, on this packed boat with Corona Chris literally 3 feet away from me, he has the option of not wearing a mask)?

No thanks. It’s just not worth the risk to me.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:33 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by porgylber View Post
About 2 weeks ago, I read a posting on FB from a well known party boat. It explained their “new rules”.

If you are sick, you will not be allowed to board. (Good. Why someone sick would want to fish on a party boat is beyond me).

Masks must be worn to board. (Also good).

There is no more social distancing on the boat. (Bad. So basically the boat will be packed).

Once out to sea, patrons can choose to wear a mask or not. (Awful. So, on this packed boat with Corona Chris literally 3 feet away from me, he has the option of not wearing a mask)?

No thanks. It’s just not worth the risk to me.
Not asking who the party boat is and I really don't care. But can somebody help me understand why you would need a mask to board the boat but you don't have to wear the mask once the boat casts its lines. What's the logic in that. That's the equivalent of requiring people to wear a mask to enter ShopRite but once they get inside they can take it off.

Second point that party boat owners or association should consider is I can assure you if somebody can trace an outbreak of Covid back to a party boat that didn't require patrons to wear masks, I'm sure there's major liability issues to the captain and owner. There's pictures on this site of boats where everyone is wearing masks on board and other pictures of boats where all the patrons have none. Would be a shame to have one or a few party boats throw caution to the wind and result in all party boats being locked down again.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
What exactly is inevitable?

Look at Taiwan - their covid vaccine program stalled out bc since the beginning of the pandemic they logged less than 450 cases. They literally don't have enough + covid cases to run even a phase 1 trial...what a problem to have!

Currently over 53 days with ZERO community transmission cases. Schools never closed. Businesses are open. No runaway unemployment. 7 dead from covid. I repeat, SEVEN total deaths from covid in a country of 24 million, with massive tourism/business travel with China.

How did they do it? The government commandeered every facility that can conceivably produce masks, and within 3 weeks distributed enough masks for every man woman and child in the country. Everyone wore them, no one cried or made a fuss.

If this pandemic doesn't convince everyone that your political ideology doesn't mean shit without a reasonably competent government, nothing will.
How did they do it?

Somehow, they figured out that not sending infected people into nursing homes would actually prevent these people with weak immune systems from getting infected. It boggles the imagination but somehow those clever Taiwanese figured that out.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Read the following carefully. If you are arguing about masks, you are focusing on the wrong issue. Instead, focus on the fact that there has been a HUGE effort to slander a cure that is 99% effective if it is administered in the first 5 days of flu like symptoms. Do you understand this? Well just to be safe, go back and read the above again and then go to the link below. REMEMBER! If anyone that you know gets sick, DEMAND that they be treated immediately with the proven cocktail cure consisting of Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc, and Zpak.
This is not BS. It works and the only BS is from those powerful interests who worked to hide this important medical breakthrough. https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535
Old 07-26-2020, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Actually there's been quite a few posts in the fishing only section remembering and paying condolences to people both involved and not involved in the industry who have unfortunately passed, a very kind and thoughtful thing to do but nothing fishing related.

We're living in unique and extreme times to put it mildly with this virus which none of us will hopefully ever have to deal with again in our lifetimes. Personally I don't think a little editorial banter and thought sharing about the state of affairs is necessarily a bad thing or one not directly or indirectly tied to fishing and every industry for that matter. I also understand it was never the intended topic of discussions in the fishing reports forum but then again when the site was built I don't think anyone accounted for what we're all going through right now. Maybe like the non-fishing forum section to isolate non-fishing discussions, make a temporary Covid forum if sponsors and members don't prefer the reports section convoluted with Covid or political comments or request those discussions take place in the non-fishing forum. Personally for a period of time until we see where this thing goes, a separate forum might be better so the topic doesn't monopolize the non-fishing forum as well and create the same concerns.

Like it or not, if this virus continues on the trajectory it's on, a vaccine isn't developed timely and the general public continues to ignore precautionary measures, we won't have to worry about fishing reports because there won't be any. Talks are already happening about the possibility of a second lock down, God forbid that happens then as we'll all be fundamentally screwed.

Gerry I understand sponsors aren't paying their hard earned money to have site members listen to CNN, like I said maybe a temporary forum intended to discuss Covid for those who wish to without detracting from the integrity of the fishing reports forum which I believe was Capt. Ron's purpose of his comment would be a good go between solution. We're all saturated with this crap so I don't come here to discuss Covid either but at the same time if it helps people understand the severity of what we're dealing with, deal with it, get some stuff off their chest, and maybe even change behavior and save lives, why not give people an avenue to discuss it. Just isolate it in a forum solely for that person and I think everyone would be happy. Vaccine comes along you can shut the forum down and we can all put this in the rear view mirror, God willing!

Just food for thought.
When a vaccine comes along I’m sure there will be lots of people that won’t even get it. This thing isn’t as bad as you think it is. A vaccine isn’t the end of the road
Old 07-26-2020, 10:37 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togfather2530 View Post
When a vaccine comes along I’m sure there will be lots of people that won’t even get it. This thing isn’t as bad as you think it is. A vaccine isn’t the end of the road
Todfather I completely agree with you regarding the vaccine. Many will not take it initially and it's not the end all answer. We all have our opinions but I disagree with you on the severity of this virus. Don't listen to the President, don't listen to CNN, don't listen to Yahoo, the politicians and all the liberals. Talk to healthcare providers who work at hospitals and they'll tell you just how deadly and debilitating this virus is. The worst impacts of this in terms of contagion rate, deaths and the impact on the economy and financial institutions is still ahead of us. The impacts are going to be devastating and you're correct this isn't as bad as I think it is, it's a lot worse.