NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fish and Game Mtg then Big Trout 1/20/17 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Fish and Game Mtg then Big Trout 1/20/17

Attended the NJFW Freshwater Fisheries Forum on Saturday with Chrisper, NJSquatch and thmyorke1. It was great to meet and speak with the staff, and I finally had the pleasure of meeting Mark B. I was happy to have the opportunity to discuss my displeasure of the new gear restrictions for trout. I spoke to all of the biologists present, and the take home message here was that we need to be organized and present at the meetings to make our voices heard. The new gear restrictions for the trout fishery were a result of pressure from an organized group of fishermen pushing an agenda contrary to science. We need to be present to prevent unnecessary regulations in the future. That being said, I don't foresee any issues with any other freshwater fisheries. The State does an exceptional job with NJ's freshwater fisheries, and the other stakeholder group is only concerned with pushing an agenda with regards to trout. But we need to keep our collective ears to the ground and have a strong, organized presence to prevent unnecessary changes in the future.

After the meeting, I headed to a stream to give the trout a shot. Cold, high water from the snow melt slowed the bite a little, but I got a beautiful 17 inch brown and a big fat 19 inch rainbow. The brown was either wild or a holdover, flawless fins and striking color.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fish and Game Mtg then Big Trout 1/20/17

JD,
Awesome fish as always.

Glad to hear your take on the meeting. Sounds like we here at njfishing.com need to act as a group in order to preserve what we have.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I understand we have to be present to make our voice heard on potential regulations. I just dont understand how these regulations make it to the table when it is something that was directly contrary to previous findings. I don't get how they didnt just respond "well our stance is that treble and barbed hooks do not effect the mortality rate of trout so we will not be considering your proposal." Our lack of direct opposition, while disappointing, should not have mattered in this case. These regulations won't effect me directly per se, but it just bothers me that it happened and I hope you are right that this isn't setting a precedent of satisfying the special interest groups
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
I understand we have to be present to make our voice heard on potential regulations. I just dont understand how these regulations make it to the table when it is something that was directly contrary to previous findings. I don't get how they didnt just respond "well our stance is that treble and barbed hooks do not effect the mortality rate of trout so we will not be considering your proposal." Our lack of direct opposition, while disappointing, should not have mattered in this case. These regulations won't effect me directly per se, but it just bothers me that it happened and I hope you are right that this isn't setting a precedent of satisfying the special interest groups
I absolutely agree. I believe regulations should be based on conservation benefit. Apparently the other group has been pushing for these regulations for some time. They attended meetings and filled the online surveys so they made their voice heard. NJFW will be the first to tell you tgese regs were just based on what these anglers wanted. We didnt make our voice heard, so lesson learned. We wont be silent in the future.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gorgeous fish Justin. That brown looks awesome!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What a great looking specimen. Congrats
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Beautiful brown!

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Will they be stocking Browns and Brookies or still just Rainbows?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
Will they be stocking Browns and Brookies or still just Rainbows?
Just rainbows for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fish and Game Mtg then Big Trout 1/20/17

So many trout, so little time !