NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

i remember ...... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:40 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Smile i remember ......

i recall 14 inch fluke { keepers } with no bag limit . 10 striped bass @ 18 inch or above . all the blue fish your trunk could hold . 16 weakfish . 50 flounder in shrewsbury an ok day but 80 to 100 a good day ? 100 ling a day at the 1 can inside the bug light ! whiting so thick you could frost fish and on the right winds and tide walk down the beach and gather a days catch pushed into the wash . i remember when you had 2 distinct sets of rules commercial and rec now party boats have thier own set as well . i recall we the rec fisherman had the biggest share over commercial and watched it dwindle down to they now have the monster load . bottom line is ive been watching us the { rec guys }go backwards for 50 years ! now all are up in arms over proposed fluke regs acting like cuts are some thing new ? we have been divided and conquerd slow but sure over many years . south wants this , north that , beach guys this party boats that and commercial wants thier share to boot . we all want better regs i get it and i dont have the answer but if we keep dropping out , stop fighting and fishing then we have truly lost ! hang in guys better days are coming .
Old 02-13-2024, 04:02 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: i remember ......

Right on Wizz... Giving up is not an option!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-13-2024, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think everyone agrees giving up is not an option. The question is what does that mean? Reality is this is a big business controlled by the Secretary of Commerce, a handful of very powerful institutions and the commercial industry with their lobbyists and attorneys. So while I agree with your sentimental post, how does a completely fragmented recreational sector with mutually exclusive agendas, limited to no funding and miniscule lobbying efforts get a seat at the table when it comes to management regulations and completely unbalanced allocations of the resources under their management and control.

That's the million dollar question I don't think anyone has an answer for until the recreational sector as a whole organizes the way the commercial sector has which is light years away at best.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 02-13-2024 at 10:28 PM..
Old 02-13-2024, 09:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wizz View Post
i recall 14 inch fluke { keepers } with no bag limit . 10 striped bass @ 18 inch or above . all the blue fish your trunk could hold . 16 weakfish . 50 flounder in shrewsbury an ok day but 80 to 100 a good day ? 100 ling a day at the 1 can inside the bug light ! whiting so thick you could frost fish and on the right winds and tide walk down the beach and gather a days catch pushed into the wash . i remember when you had 2 distinct sets of rules commercial and rec now party boats have thier own set as well . i recall we the rec fisherman had the biggest share over commercial and watched it dwindle down to they now have the monster load . bottom line is ive been watching us the { rec guys }go backwards for 50 years ! now all are up in arms over proposed fluke regs acting like cuts are some thing new ? we have been divided and conquerd slow but sure over many years . south wants this , north that , beach guys this party boats that and commercial wants thier share to boot . we all want better regs i get it and i dont have the answer but if we keep dropping out , stop fighting and fishing then we have truly lost ! hang in guys better days are coming .
No to come across in a negative way but basically the summary of your post is that the salt water fishery has taken a major dump. Maybe it’s time to think about that and forget about looser regulations commercial and recreational. The fishing is lousy. The better days are in the past in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

For what it’s worth, lots of things have changed for recreational fishing over the last 50 years.

- NJ population alone increased from 7 to 9 million.
- Number of party boats dropped? Less fishing pressure from party boats?
- More private boats and charters, and boats got bigger and faster.
- Improvements in fishing equipment and tackle
- And probably the biggest one, technology and electronics. Chart plotters, fish finders and communication between fisherman (cell phones). That makes us much more efficient at finding/catching.

I wonder what the cumulative effect has been?
Old 02-14-2024, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The fish just don't stand a chance any longer... The world population in 1960 was 3 billion..Today its over 8 billion, and LOT of that 8 billion eat fish... No such thing now as "local markets"..Fish caught off of the east coast might be eaten a few days later in Japan... the oceans, bays, tidal rivers in heavily populated areas such as the NY Bight are under relentless pressure that only seems to get worse each year,,,Can't see salt water fishing getting much better overall, but I guess one can hope... Fresh water rec fishing is more easily maintained, because a lot of people don't eat FW fish, its not much of a market[yet], and massive factory ships can't wipe out entire populations like they do in the world's oceans.... bob
Old 02-14-2024, 11:26 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

The Problem is, was your mindset of Catching hundreds of fish was termed a "Successful Day". How many of those fish went to waste and ended up in a landfill? Fisherman got us into this mess by having their own way with the Ocean!! There is a saying all good things come to an end and You reap what you sow... Now you want to blame others, look in the mirror my friend
Old 02-14-2024, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobigblue View Post
The Problem is, was your mindset of Catching hundreds of fish was termed a "Successful Day". How many of those fish went to waste and ended up in a landfill? Fisherman got us into this mess by having their own way with the Ocean!! There is a saying all good things come to an end and You reap what you sow... Now you want to blame others, look in the mirror my friend
Your comment raises two points. Keeping the number of fish that were being kept is just crazy and should have never been allowed to happen. With that said, even with those numbers being taken, the fisheries with less commercial pressure flourished every year with no apparent end in sight. When the fluke fishery in the late eighties collapsed due to commercial overharvest, they set their sights on winter flounder or black backs year round and that fabulous fishery was destroyed in a few short years. Cod, pollack, whiting and ling or ground fish in general followed suit for the same reasons and it wasn't related to recreational harvest. Remember an important point, recreational anglers for the most part have access to fisheries a few months out of the year, commercials pound them year round and these stocks can't take that pressure and the waste associated with commercial netting is a huge part of the problem. They kill everything. The finger in this case is pointed exactly were it should be.

To Bullet Bob's point in his post, the world is significantly more populated which has created a high demand for fish and seafood. That demand isn't being met by the recreational sector. It's a big business as I've said and the commercial sector and the bodies managing it are making billions of dollars a year exploiting a resource that in years past was never exploited the way it is today.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 02-14-2024 at 12:59 PM..
Old 02-14-2024, 01:06 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Yes there were a lot of wasted fish back in the day for sure... However, the entities who manage our marine fisheries have totally mismanaged them.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-14-2024, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togfather2530 View Post
No to come across in a negative way but basically the summary of your post is that the salt water fishery has taken a major dump. Maybe it’s time to think about that and forget about looser regulations commercial and recreational. The fishing is lousy. The better days are in the past in my opinion.
Things are different for sure in habitats etc and no arguing that its " not the old days" but there are still fish to be caught.

To be CLEAR those of us discussing the regulations its NOT about "looser" regs as much as its about FAIR and Equitable Regs for recreational and tightening on commercial to best sustain any species. Just want fisheries management to level the playing field for the fish first and sensible harvest across the board for stewards of the sea which most (not all) are.