NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2014 Fluke Regulations - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 2014 Fluke Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler Paul View Post
Someone asked where Senator Booker and Senator Mendendez were on this. Senator Menendez and Congressmen Pallone wrote a letter supporting New Jersey's postiton and we should be thankful for their support. Unfortunately our side did not prevail.
Hi Paul! Hows the back? I wrote the comment regards our Senator representation. OK so I /we would like to see that letter. It is obvious that Schumer either has more clout or merit to the argument of regionalization. Seems the ASMFC does not care to represent our desires, but our Senators do! Maybe too late on this issue, but for future regulation, maybe we need to speak louder to our representatives as I am sure NY did with Senator Schumer. Contact info as follows, and I suggest that all who wrote comment on this issue follow up with a phone call to Booker and Menendez with our displeasure.

NJ Senator Robert Menendez

Washington D.C. 528 Senate Hart Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Barrington, New Jersey. 208 White Horse Pike, Suite 18
Barrington New Jersey, 08007. 
856.546.1526 (fax)

Newark, New Jersey. One Gateway Center, Suite 1100
Newark, New Jersey, 07102.
973.645.0502 (fax) (no direct email)

NJ Senator Cory A. Booker
Democrat-New Jersey
Washington, DC Office 
*Hart 141
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-3224
Email: info@booker.senate.gov*

Last edited by Fishfish; 02-05-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 2014 Fluke Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
should do an opra, open public records request, to document all the new jersey fisherman's comments of opposition to regionalization of the summer flounder regulations. This would at least make a statement that amfsc does not represent our considerations. What outcome would you expect when in todays asbury park press stated as follows:
“sen. Charles schumer (d-n.y.), who has been strongly advocating a change in fishery laws to give his constituents more fish to catch, is evidently also hearing concerns from stakeholders in other states about the problem of overfishing. In a letter sent to the asmfc on the eve of the decision, schumer wrote: “i would like to take this opportunity to assure the commission that i will be a fierce advocate on behalf of all states to make sure that the 2014 experiment with regional management is a success, particularly with respect to any future consequences regarding harvest penalties.”
so schumer says ““i would like to take this opportunity to assure the commission that i will be a fierce advocate on behalf of all states”

?????????? Political bullshit! Now this was written before todays decision, but it appears he already knew “regionalization” would be approved. So where is nj senator menendez (d) and senator booker (d) representing our interests? ...enough said...lets share, “redistribute the wealth”
bingo..... The real winning comment

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: 2014 Fluke Regulations

BOHICA....CAUSE THIS IS JUST GONNA GET WORSE......

Governor Cuomo Announces Approval of Regional Management of Fluke Fish
Press Releases
By Long Island News & PRs Published: February 04 2014

Albany, NY - February 4th, 2014 - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that members of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission have voted 7-4 in favor of a proposal to put New York in a region with New Jersey and Connecticut, requiring the same rules for fluke fishing for all three states.

“Today’s vote requiring that New York’s fisherman be held to the same standards as those in neighboring states is a big victory for our fishing industries, especially on Long Island,” Governor Cuomo said. “For more than a decade, New York’s saltwater anglers have endured the toughest fluke regulations on the eastern seaboard – regulations that were unfair and caused the local fishing industry to lose money. As Attorney General and Governor, I have worked with New York’s fishing industries to make the fluke quota more fair and equitable; today, our hard work has paid off. I applaud ASMFC members for righting the status quo. This approval will go a long way in helping to grow New York’s recreational fishing industries.”

This summer, Governor Cuomo sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Commerce calling on the agency to undertake an immediate reassessment of regulations pertaining to the amount of fluke that may be legally caught by commercial or recreational anglers. The Governor also warned the Federal Government that New York State was prepared to file suit if action was not taken to ensure that New York’s anglers get a fair deal.

Click here to view the Governor’s letter to the U.S Department of Commerce.

Since 2002, states from North Carolina to Massachusetts have managed their recreational fluke fisheries using state-specific harvest limits, or “quotas,” based on estimated harvests from 1998, the last year all states had the same rules for fluke. However, the fishery has changed dramatically since 1998. In that year, the fluke population was just rebuilding with mostly smaller fish available for harvest. Today, that stock is rebuilt with many older larger fish available. Significantly, fluke tend to move north and east as they age and grow, resulting in an increase of fish available to New Yorkers. Thus, the distribution of fish currently does not resemble that of 1998. Under regional management, New York anglers will be given the same access to this rebuilt stock as those in states to the north and south.

http://www.longisland.com/news/02-04...luke-fish.html

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
As previously stated

The dirty shrimp will be under the skull and bones!

I may even organize a private boat protest. Get as many privateers as possible. Have us all come in over limit or undersized and have the conservation officers meet us at the dock with some news cameras there. Let the public know what is going on. I m sure it would not look good to see the tickets handed out to my kids on 12 news!
Steve, maybe you should upgrade the Dirty Shrimp to this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirate Ship.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	67352  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Unbelievable! I'll be a runner boat this Summer, call me on the cell when you have your limit I'll have 5 Hotties on the boat, that gives me a 24 fish limit. I'll make the run back to dock, off load and head to the next. At the end of the day I'll meet you with you're fish for a small fee!!!!!!! LOL what a joke..........
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you Broken Bobber for your comment / addition about Gov Cuomo! I might think our Gov Christie is somewhat pre occupied with other issues about now. And yes, Cuomo's threat of a law suit onto the Feds would influence. I will be making those phone calls to Booker and Menedez, "for what it is worth"....the value to be seen by how many phone calls are made. As I suggested by OPRA, I am also very interested in how many comments were made. A good suggestion was made that maybe the RFA could make this records request. I am on my way to the AC boat show and will discuss this with them. For the request I will glad to donate $20 bucks for the purchase 400 comments @ 5 cents each a page when printed. Comments to anyone are free if emailed. Printed comments should then be mailed to our Senators Menendez and Booker.

Last edited by Fishfish; 02-05-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfish View Post
Should do an OPRA, open public records request, to document all the New Jersey fisherman's comments of opposition to regionalization of the Summer Flounder regulations. This would at least make a statement that AMFSC does not represent our considerations. What outcome would you expect when in todays Asbury Park Press stated as follows:
“Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who has been strongly advocating a change in fishery laws to give his constituents more fish to catch, is evidently also hearing concerns from stakeholders in other states about the problem of overfishing. In a letter sent to the ASMFC on the eve of the decision, Schumer wrote: “I would like to take this opportunity to assure the Commission that I will be a fierce advocate on behalf of all States to make sure that the 2014 experiment with regional management is a success, particularly with respect to any future consequences regarding harvest penalties.”
So Schumer says ““I would like to take this opportunity to assure the Commission that I will be a fierce advocate on behalf of all States”

?????????? Political bullshit! Now this was written before todays decision, but it appears he already knew “regionalization” would be approved. So where is NJ Senator Menendez (D) and Senator Booker (D) representing our interests? ...enough said...lets share, “redistribute the wealth”
Spread what wealth? You people in NJ keep banging this same drum of you should have more quota, well that isn't true.

Now if you want to fight with other fisherman and play the I want what I want card, you go right ahead.

NY has more people within the city and long island than NJ and you people in NJ always say we have more people, that is BULLSHIT.

NY has more money than you in NJ, NY has way more people than NJ will ever have, and we have more fishermen, than NJ will ever have.

You need to pull your heads out of your butts, because if we don't start working together, we are going to get a royal screwing in the future.

NJ population 8.865 million (2012)

Population of NYC including the Long Island is around 12 million.

Enough said...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Not for nothing, last I heard this site was "NJFishing"?? Why are we talking about NY?? Enough said!!!!!

"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

"A bad day of fishing turns into a good day of drinking" ����
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussA View Post
Spread what wealth? You people in NJ keep banging this same drum of you should have more quota, well that isn't true.

Now if you want to fight with other fisherman and play the I want what I want card, you go right ahead.

NY has more people within the city and long island than NJ and you people in NJ always say we have more people, that is BULLSHIT.

NY has more money than you in NJ, NY has way more people than NJ will ever have, and we have more fishermen, than NJ will ever have.

You need to pull your heads out of your butts, because if we don't start working together, we are going to get a royal screwing in the future.

NJ population 8.865 million (2012)

Population of NYC including the Long Island is around 12 million.

Enough said...
Well Russ A. I wont argue all of your points and actually agree with you. But that's not what you think. First the NJ quota as set prior, was ours, wealth if you will. For that argument you need to look elsewhere on how and where they were set and why. I will not argue the points you presented on population. Fisherman? I would like to see that quantified. You missed the point regards " political bullshit " I would expect Schumer and Cuomo to fight for the quota for New Yorkers. The political bullshit was his knowing regionalization would be approved prior the decision. And thats inside patronage and pay to play bullshit! So you used my comment to write your reply. Did I say I want to fight with NY? I agree we need to work together to ensure our rights to fish, but it is the Feds who are using the tactic to divide and conquer. If it was your quota being taken away would you be fighting for it?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfish View Post
Well Russ A. I wont argue all of your points and actually agree with you. But that's not what you think. First the NJ quota as set prior, was ours, wealth if you will. For that argument you need to look elsewhere on how and where they were set and why. I will not argue the points you presented on population. Fisherman? I would like to see that quantified. You missed the point regards " political bullshit " I would expect Schumer and Cuomo to fight for the quota for New Yorkers. The political bullshit was his knowing regionalization would be approved prior the decision. And thats inside patronage and pay to play bullshit! So you used my comment to write your reply. Did I say I want to fight with NY? I agree we need to work together to ensure our rights to fish, but it is the Feds who are using the tactic to divide and conquer. If it was your quota being taken away would you be fighting for it?
I know no one and knew that this was coming because NY unlike NJ hasn't met the *******s up close and personal and never knew how they played the game like we do here in NY.

When I screamed at you guys 2 years ago to not give any fish up, nor give up your size limit, you guys went ahead and threw away 3 fish for a 1/2 an inch.

Never give fish up, ever. That was their game they baited you and you bit.

Our quota was taken away...

NY took it on the chin for the greater good of the fluke stock. Because of NY's tight limits for 13 years you enjoy the fluke fishing we have today.

You in NJ never felt what it's like to throw back fish that were 3 1/2 lbs because they were short at 20.5", no you were yucking it up at 6 fish at 18" while our regs were 2 at 21".

NJ did nothing to help NY throughout the last 13 year, they sat back and reaped the benefits afforded to them by NY and our tight regulations.

I have been trying to plant seeds in your so called RFA and other abbreviated peoples head to work alongside NY's fisherman, and was accused of wanting a NY vs NJ war.

In all honesty you would lose because Schummer and Cuomo Have way more clout where it needs to be than anyone in NJ.