NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Landlock Record - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-05-2021, 01:04 PM
dakota560

Default Re: NJ Landlock Record

Another article regarding Maine which includes Sebago Lake, Moosehead, Penobscot and Kennebec River systems, some of the most productive bodies of water in Maine, have been over run by invasive smallmouths. Again maybe temperature or other variables factor in to the balance of these fisheries or food chain, but at least in these two cases small mouths are not just holding on they're thriving.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/01/...es-and-rivers/

This article is from January 2021, so a recent article which categorizes the proliferation of invasive species including the small mouth as epidemic. The fisheries bearing the consequences are the fabled trout and landlocked fisheries Maine has been known for for years.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 PM
dakota560

One more generic article about small mouths. They seem like a very capable species with a wide range of diet which changes with age. Main diet of older fish are crayfish and anything else they can get their mouths on while younger juvenile fish favor zooplankton and insects. There is definitely more articles indicating them taking over a system once introduced intentionally or not as opposed to being pushed out by other species.

https://www.coastalaction.org/smallm...ass-facts.html

Again maybe there's other factors at play regarding habitat, water temperature, water depth, forage availability etc., but I know in New England states they have lakes with fantastic small mouth and landlocked fishing which for some reason have struck the right balance. I believe New England states stock a significant amount of smelts annually so the amount of available forage certainly factors into this discussion. When you see pictures of the few large landlocks posted here and other fish I've seen landed, it certainly doesn't seem like lack of forage is an issue.

Last edited by dakota560; 10-05-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Old 10-05-2021, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Salmon weighed 8.62 pounds. Taking the old record by ~ 5 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 3.25.17 PM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	153555  
Old 10-05-2021, 04:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There goes the neighborhood!
Old 10-05-2021, 09:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
There goes the neighborhood!
I'm very happy for Joe, we've talked and fished next to each other numerous times - absolute gentleman and obviously a hell of an angler.

But goddamn I wish he caught that anywhere but there lol
Old 10-05-2021, 09:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
One more generic article about small mouths.
Those are interesting cases but all I'm saying is this - that lake produces by far the best quality SMB in the state, numbers and size - no where else even comes close. Bonus for them being pelagic so you can't just beat the bank and catch outside of prespawn/spawn. The patterns are changing since they started stocking landlocks, that is just a fact that those of us who chase these fish are well aware of.

What that means long term...who knows. But I don't think the state knows either. Which is my point all along - you have a trophy SMB and laker fishery established, I see no reason to f with it at all.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
Those are interesting cases but all I'm saying is this - that lake produces by far the best quality SMB in the state, numbers and size - no where else even comes close. Bonus for them being pelagic so you can't just beat the bank and catch outside of prespawn/spawn. The patterns are changing since they started stocking landlocks, that is just a fact that those of us who chase these fish are well aware of.

What that means long term...who knows. But I don't think the state knows either. Which is my point all along - you have a trophy SMB and laker fishery established, I see no reason to f with it at all.
don't worry dude, most people are terrible anglers and give up quickly. I was there this past sunday on the most perfect weather day and there was 3 boats there. same thing always happens. a few crappy fishermen try to chase reports and then give up instantly when they realize they suck haha.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 10-08-2021, 09:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
In herring lakes LMB can and do rely heavily on herring as forage, until they reach about +/- 4lbs - then they're a little too slow to chase them down in open water, but will always key in on herring when the schools get pushed against an edge.

But I'm talking about SMB - which in many of these herring lakes are basically pelagic chasing herring outside of the spawn cycle. If you're imitating a herring and fishing for SMB, you're catching salmon.
Look, maybe bass and salmon interact differently in the small lakes in NJ.. I can only go by what I have found in 30 years of fishing lakes that have both species.. Some Black Bass will suspend and will eat alewives.. However, that is NOT the normal, everyday habit of all black bass.. The will relate to structure, and they are always in "normal" habitat at least some of the time.. Otherwise guys would be catching them constantly trolling say 25 feet down over 50 FOW.. Yes some are caught, but most anglers are kind of surprised when they catch a LMB mid lake suspended..

I don't eat many bass, but will take and eat a couple a season.. In 30 years of fishing I can't recall ever cleaning a bass, large or smallmouth with an alewife in its gut in the lakes that are loaded with them ... Small sunnies, perch, crayfish, madtoms, sculpins, various, dace, shiners etc always in any I have cleaned... As I said, the size of the lakes may have something to do with it, so I won't totally disagree, but I personally don't see how smb can ruin a LL salmon fishery, unless there is nothing at all for the bass to eat.. No crayfish, aquatic insect larvae, minnows, young perch, madtoms, dace etc... I'm no longer in NJ and will always defer to those that are on top of the fishery. Just surprises me is all... bob
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: NJ Landlock Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
don't worry dude, most people are terrible anglers and give up quickly. I was there this past sunday on the most perfect weather day and there was 3 boats there. same thing always happens. a few crappy fishermen try to chase reports and then give up instantly when they realize they suck haha.
Used to love watching people at Round Valley back in the day, flying from one end of the lake to the other looking at the fish finder for "readings" don't think they even wet a line !!!
Old 10-12-2021, 03:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Panoptix wins, like it or not