NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Landlock Record - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-04-2021, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: NJ Landlock Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
What lake was that caught? Theyll get gargantuan in Merrill.
I was at Merrill Creek yesterday and the Ranger told me about the fish that was caught there
Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygaff View Post
I was at Merrill Creek yesterday and the Ranger told me about the fish that was caught there
That’s one of the things that is so good about this site. The members are on point and keep things current and accurate. There are lots of things going on in the fishing world ( especially in NJ ) that would go unnoticed or unknown except for the information that is presented here.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This link has a lot of information about which to consider. One such nugget was the date when landlocked salmon were introduced into Merrill. Another is to note that there did not seem to be any breeder fish that were sent from Massachusetts along with the fry that were sent and are being raised here. So, if that fish was not a breeder when it was stocked, it really grew fast and big in a hurry. I think the salmon were not stocked into MC until 2018. Tilcon had bigger fish on average stocked there and sooner than at MC. That might be a real sleeper to watch. Of course, we never know how many of these put-and-take salmon are harvested and how much they have grown unless someone reports a trophy-sized one. Everyone is very tight lipped about how many salmon they have creeled.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/salmon.htm
Old 10-04-2021, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
Haha thanks Jeremy!

I might drop a couple in the dead of winter...but man after the pressure I've seen this past year, not even sure about that haha - giving people ideas right now is a bad move!
I gotcha. That sucks. Everyone wants an internet hand out these days vs putting in the work!
Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They grow very quickly in lakes with a lot of alewives, and stay much smaller and skinnier in lakes without them, which is pretty much just common sense..

They are active all year unlike some other fish, and are chow hounds, and pack size and weight on quickly... Only problem I think NJ might have is sheer numbers... They can only take so much pressure as they are aggressive willing biters, and a LOT of them are cleaned out of lakes as soon as they reach legal size.. Up here a few 10 pounders are caught every year, but these lakes are huge, insanely deep, and the fish have a lot of room to avoid hooks...

The smaller, less deep easier to fish lakes in NJ will probably have a harder time getting the fish to trophy size simply because a lot of them will be eaten before they can grow to a trophy size.. Its only a general guideline but up here, the bigger and deeper the lake, the bigger the Landlocks get... bob
Old 10-04-2021, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I wonder if they could stock smelt in lakes with the landlocks? Maybe this would be a bad idea?
Old 10-04-2021, 01:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_fish View Post
I wonder if they could stock smelt in lakes with the landlocks? Maybe this would be a bad idea?
Introducing more fish into a body of water to supplement an introduced predatory species should analyzed with EXTREME caution. Last thing you want is a collapse in the already established species b/c the bait you've introduced found smallmouth and largemouth bass eggs very, very tasty.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Introducing more fish into a body of water to supplement an introduced predatory species should analyzed with EXTREME caution. Last thing you want is a collapse in the already established species b/c the bait you've introduced found smallmouth and largemouth bass eggs very, very tasty.
They would be badly out maneuvered by the Alewives.
They don't mix well when landlocked, and the Smelt fry are devoured en masse by the Alewives/Herring/Sawbellies.. Wherever Alwives become established in a landlocked environment, the have the potential to out compete everything else that lives there, and only free roaming and voracious predators keep the numbers down... Problem is, if the alewives collapse the predators do as well.... They are a boon and a curse depending on who you ask and when you ask it...
Old 10-04-2021, 02:14 PM
dakota560

I'm sure NJFG is well aware of what's happening in this fishery. The assumption they made in Round Valley that lake trout weren't reproducing in my opinion won't be repeated with Atlantics. The reproduction process of a lake trout and Atlantic Salmon is completely different and lack of habitat alone will prevent natural reproduction. There's no proof Atlantics will spawn in any of these bodies of water and if what Bob mentioned about Thiaminase is true and prevents eggs from being fertile, there's zero chance for reproduction in addition to the habitat issue mentioned. Just a side note, Thiaminase from the consumption of herring is what caused the huge Steelhead die off 5-6 years back in lake Ontario, it effects trout very differently than salmon.

Last Fall, the four impoundments received in total 4,325 salmon. 2,100 went in Wawayanda alone leaving a combined 2,200 for Tilcon, Aeroflex and Merrill. Aeroflex got 800, Tilcon about 750 and MC 650. At a 2 bag limit of 12" in all three and 15" at Merrill, most of these fish get taken out in a hurry. Especially in years with safe ice, they get pounded through the ice. Go to anyone and see how many get taken out on stringers. Most guys fishing for these atlantics drift herring, many fish are gut hooked and won't survive the release. Then factor in natural mortality. I've spoken to more than a half dozen people who caught large pickerel and or bass with small Atlantics sticking out of their mouth when they landed them.

Don't think the numbers we're talking about will have an impact whatsoever in any of the four impoundments involved considering the numbers stocked and size limits in place. Either way I'm sure NJFG is all over this and well aware of the balance needed in these bodies of water. I for one hope they continue this program with the proper checks and balances and trophy Atlantics become a part of the diverse fisheries we have in the state.

Last edited by dakota560; 10-04-2021 at 02:41 PM..
Old 10-04-2021, 02:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
At a 2 bag limit of 12" in all three and 15" at Merrill, most of these fish get taken out in a hurry.
At least at one of these lakes I see no one taking salmon, in fact everyone I talk to/interact with on the water releases salmon bc of the perceived rarity etc.

If the salmon are largely catch/release, then whether they spawn becomes a moot point - hundreds stocked each year adds up. I can tell you the first year I never saw a salmon while bass fishing, 2nd year I caught 3, but the last 2 years...they were a pretty regular bycatch. And when the water temps fall in Sept/Oct/Nov, the bass start slowing down, while the salmon are operating at peak energy breaking up the herring schools. This definitely has changed the Fall patterns for bass, and I have my doubts as to the DEP holding a crystal ball on the future for some of these lakes, esp the one the state record came out of - it's about as healthy and balanced a fishery we have in NJ...I see no reason to f with it lol.

Having said all that, I still release the salmon I catch - they are very cool fish indeed.