NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat tilefishing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Party boat tilefishing

Thinking about getting into tilefishing. What kind of rod n reel setups would I need to use on these trips. Could I also use the same setup for jigging tuna?
Thanks
Kyle
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat tilefishing

I would suggest nothing other than a Talica 10II or 12II for your reel on the tile front, you might want to bump it up to a bigger size if you jig tuna with it though. (the 2 speed is a nice to have for the tilefish, but you want it if you are jigging for tuna) I had an Avet, a Penn torque 300 and a Penn int 16VS that I used previously before I used the Talica and there is no going back for me. I know that some of the harecore guys use the jigging master reels but that is just way too much money for me to invest.

I have one of the handcrafted 6'6 star rods matched up with it for tiles that I love. I see a lot of guys on the trips with the Terez rods that should be able to double as a tuna jigging rod as well.
Now once you go out a few times and want to drop some extra coin on a custom rod, you might find a better hybrid rod for yourself. something 'off the rack' might be better for you just incase it isn't your cup of tea.

I always use the 55# daiwa boat braid on tile trips too, it is nice to use the color coding on the deep drops like this so you can tell how deep you are, plus when you aare jigging tuna it is good to have so you can tell how deep you are when they call out how deep the fish are.

Now this is just my humble opinion, I go on the Voyager for tiles at least 2 times a year, you may want to talk to Dave at the Reel Seat in Point Pleasant, almost like he goes out everyday!

trust me though, you go on one tile trip and it's hard to not keep coming back for more.

good luck!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I prefer a longer rod, at least 7' if fishing from a partyboat, helps keep the line away from the sides of the boat. I have a custom fish poison rod built by Kevin Bogan and an 8' Chaos rod that I originally had built for fishing large grouper. You need to be able to put 500 yards of 50# or 65# braid on the reel. A 4-1 ratio with decent torque is needed, too high of a speed and cranking up the 2 to 4# sinkers plus fish will be tough, get a ratio too low and reeling will be easy, but a very long process. Dave has had the opportunity to try many more reels than most of us, so his advice is solid. I personally use an Avet LX two speed, the low speed of 3-1 works for me, the hi speed is only good for 2# sinkers or less, with no fish. I also use an old Diawa Sealine 50 reel that works fine as well. I take no chances, I buy my rigs pre-made. Dave at Reel Seat has some on his website you can look at and order.

Last edited by Chico; 08-10-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

good info....definitely want to do this next year
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing2
good info....definitely want to do this next year
Kyle, stop by my shop and I will show you what you need for party boat tilefishing. I tilefish alot (16 trips this year alone) and I will share my experiences (good and bad) with all of the equipment I've used over the past 6 or 7 years. Call me at 732-223-5353 and let's talk tilefish.

The Reel Seat, Inc
Serving the Salt Water fishing community since 1982
707 Union Ave (Rt 71), Brielle
(732) 223-5353
www.reelseat.com
Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Hey Kyle. I live about 30 miles west of D.C. and travel to fish the Voyager as much as I can. I used to fish over in Va Beach but enjoy the Voyager much more. Well worth it IMO. The Capt puts you on the fish and doesn't stick around if it's not producing. My first Tile trip I used a Torium 30 6:2.1 ratio or close to. Never again my friend. I now use an Avet JX 2 speed and used it on my last trip on the Voyager. Having that lower gear ratio will make your trip much more enjoyable. The tile that I'm holding in my pic was caught on my first trip ever with the Voyager. If you don't want to spend the cash on the Daiwa Boat braid maybe have a portable line counter. Have never tried that but might work. Also, I've been told a lot about Dave at The Reel Seat as well. All good.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I use a Penn Fathom 40 spooled with 50lb PowerPro on a 7' Heavy Shimano Tallus Blue Water rodl. Lots of cranking, and someday I'll switch over to a 2-speed reel, but it's been getting the job done!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

dont wait get the 2 speed reel you will be happy you did