NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Biggest Sting Ray I Have Ever Seen, and CAUGHT! - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Biggest Sting Ray I Have Ever Seen, and CAUGHT!

I think they call these guys Butterfly rays.. it has the wider shape almost like a diamond. incredible catch
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

thats awesome dude i have caught some decent cownoses but nothing like that ever! that woulda made a hell alot of philly scallops

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Re: Biggest Sting Ray I Have Ever Seen, and CAUGHT!

great fish congrats on landing it ,just wanted to give a heads up people,because of my stupity a few years ago of bringing a cow nose ray into the boat and getting stung(very painful).I suggest not to do that ,but if by your own choice you do the same and you do get stung do not use ice it traps the poison in you..Heat draws the poison out. fish on
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayniac
great fish congrats on landing it ,just wanted to give a heads up people,because of my stupity a few years ago of bringing a cow nose ray into the boat and getting stung(very painful).I suggest not to do that ,but if by your own choice you do the same and you do get stung do not use ice it traps the poison in you..Heat draws the poison out. fish on
Bleach!!!!!!! I thank Dom on the Gambler for this tip!! Got pricked by a doggie on the arm and Dom said BLEACH!! The hard swelling went down in a few hrs..
Old 08-10-2012, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice catch!! How the hell did you release it after the battle? Must have taken 3 guys!

Almost positive its a butterfly as mentioned. Also, bleach is the best thing without a RX that you will find for stingers! Good tip on not using the ice as well!

I heard of a ST being caught just north of BI earlier this week. It was on for about 45 minutes, estimated at 7 feet, but it chewed through the leader. Guy told me he was using 300lb mono leader. He said he had a live bluefish, held down with a 24oz sinker that was dropped from his yak.

There is no doubt they are swimming in the wash, especially the last couple of weeks. Look at all of the food on the menu in tight for them.

Good Luck on the Tiger Quest and again..... one hell of a landing there! I dont know of many guys who would have worked it as well as you did there. Nice job!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My brother and I couldn't even move it further than maybe an inch at a time... so we inched it towards the water, and waited for the waves to make it easier, luckily a big wave came and we just pushed as the water receded and took the ray with it!

[QUOTE=JerseyCoast]Nice catch!! How the hell did you release it after the battle? Must have taken 3 guys!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Biggest Sting Ray I Have Ever Seen, and CAUGHT!

Anyone know what type of Ray that is... been looking and cant seem to figure it out

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smooth Butterfly Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
Anyone know what type of Ray that is... been looking and cant seem to figure it out
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Got 2 bull nosed rays last weekend on LBI off the surf but not even close to what you go there. Crazy feeling that these things are swimming with us or us with them.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
dakota560

[QUOTE=beachbunker732]My brother and I couldn't even move it further than maybe an inch at a time... so we inched it towards the water, and waited for the waves to make it easier, luckily a big wave came and we just pushed as the water receded and took the ray with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
Nice catch!! How the hell did you release it after the battle? Must have taken 3 guys!
Beach,

Awesome catch and even more awesome job returning it to the water unharmed. A creature like that deserves to be set free. Never saw a ray that big and never thought we had them that size in this area. I'm sure there are more fish / rays etc swimming in our waters which would shock us all.

Again great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Dakota