NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat tuna tackle question - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7683 View Post
Ok now I'm stuck between reels, either the avet exw30 or avet hxw30
Well...if that's your dilemma, I'd base my choice on the line weight you decide to use. If you decide on 60lb, go with the HXW. It's much lighter(which you WILL notice after holding it for 12hrs). If you choose to fish 80lb, go with the EXW. I have 2 HXWs filled with 60lb Momoi on 7' spiral wrapped rods that I would consider my "go-to" set-ups for chunking.

Shorts
Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Ok now I'm stuck between reels, either the avet exw30 or avet hxw30
Both great reels, either are will give you all the power you need in the canyons. My suggestion is to go to one of our sponsors, hold them both, see which one fits you best.

My assumption is that you mean the hxw Raptor., which is a 80lb class reel. The regular Hxw is more of a 30 lb class reel, as noted by 2na, with a max usable drag in the 15-20 lb at strike.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ

Last edited by Walleyed; 06-11-2017 at 07:15 AM..
Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The 7 foot pole is to long, 5 1/2 to 6 foot pole is all you want and that is what we use for rental rods and my personnel poles

For the reel - you want 80#, if the fish are small or line shy we can always make the leader lighter - if the fish are big and you only have 60# or you hook a big eye, good luck
Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrich View Post
The 7 foot pole is to long, 5 1/2 to 6 foot pole is all you want and that is what we use for rental rods and my personnel poles

For the reel - you want 80#, if the fish are small or line shy we can always make the leader lighter - if the fish are big and you only have 60# or you hook a big eye, good luck
I'll respectfully disagree. This is party boat tuna, not stand-up in a 6-pack. I use 6-6 & 7' rail rods and use the rail for leverage. A fast action tip that shuts off about 1/3 down the rod lets you put a real hurting on the fish.

I do agree that for his first tuna outfit, he should get a 80 lb setup.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Walleyed...yes, I did mean the HXW Raptor.
And YES...party boat= 7' rod!!! Both to be able to reach over the side and also to be able to reach over and under other anglers as your "running the rail" to follow your fish. THE RAIL IS YOUR FRIEND!!! As Walleyed said...use it for leverage. Part of the reason I like 7" rods is to be able to incorporate a 12" minimum butt grip (most are 14", some 16") into the rod. This long grip can be tucked into your armpit when reaching under the boat OR for leverage when you rest the foregrip on the rail. That said, I also like a 10"-12" foregrip to rest on the rail. Some guys like gimbal butts for use with belts. I, personally, DO NOT. I've found, under load, the gimbal can sometimes be difficult to get out of the belt when the fish makes a run and you need to re-position. I just prefer a large, soft butt cap.
All that said...I think the BEST advise I could give a first timer is to go see Dave at the Reel Seat. Dave's spent his time at the rail of MANY, MANY party boats and his inventory reflects it. Kevin is also a great resource (Bogan=Canyon). Both have knowledge worth reaping.
MAN...now I'm getting excited! Only 3 more months!

Shorts
Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

ok your talking high class reels here. If your going to buy 1 reels & buy going to Kevin you are not penny pinching. the Man will build you a 80# death stick if you want it. Put a EXW50W 2 speed on it & you will be set for what ever bites. Fill it with 80# Momoi set the drag at strike to 25# & you set. now some of you guys who like to fish "light tackle" will say that you are going too heavy. Well two years ago I put a 125# & a 150# big eye in the boat both in under an hour & lost a Sword that dumped half the spool before it stopped.
I lost that fish but I put two of the 4 fish caught that trip in the boat. Not bad for a guy who is 70. Buy or make an what they call an outroder they make it
easier to stand at the rail. NOW GO CATCH THE UP.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer30 View Post
The PB I tuna fish on will allow braid on your chunking rod as long as you have at least 300 yards of mono topshot. I recommend a Shimano TLD50II. They hold enough line if the fish are deep and/ot if they're big
Most ridiculous thing i hav heard about this so far.Why bother just use mono.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Member

i use braid backing with 50lb momoi diamond mono topshot...the 50lb breaks at around 80lb....you can fit more line into your spool by using this brand....costs a little more but worth it because now you get to use a smaller reel like a 30w.....I have a 50w as well and it gets pretty heavy....I bring the 50w as a backup but normally use the 30w.....you don't need mono line heavier then this especially if you are only using 40lb to 60lb leader and setting your drag to the recommended setting of 15 to 17lbs at strike for yellowfin.....doesn't make sense to use an extremely heavy main line when your leaders are only 60lbs or less.....if big eyes or swords are biting that night then I will switch over to my 50w with 80lbs monoi main line and use 80lb leader with 20lb drag at strike or slightly more....

also, I agree with the guys above when they say, the rail is your friend. Get a 7 ft rod and use the rail, you will put a hurting on the tuna by using the rail to put pressure on them.....save your back as well....no need for fishing belt.....

setting your drag, the rule of thumb is to set your drag between 20% to 30% of your smallest line. if your mainline if 50lb or 80lb and your leader is 40 lbs......then you need to take the smallest line which is the 40 lb and calculate 40 * .2 = 8lb or 40 *.3 = 12lb, average of about 10lb of drag max 12lbs at strike....if your mainline is only 50lb and its stated braking strength is only 50 and you use a 80lb leader then you need to calculate using the 50 *.2 or 50 * .3 calculation......

I have been using the Okuma Makaira 50w for tuna chunking and it has performed perfectly......I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone the Okuma Makaira reels.....

hope this helps.

Last edited by thecow18; 06-12-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks for all the replies fellas, ended up going with the avet exw30 and matched with a custom bogan rod. Just unsure now on what line to put on? whether it be straight mono or braid with a topshot. The boat im going on requires a 100 yd topshot of mono with braid
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
thanks for all the replies fellas, ended up going with the avet exw30 and matched with a custom bogan rod. Just unsure now on what line to put on? whether it be straight mono or braid with a topshot. The boat im going on requires a 100 yd topshot of mono with braid
Give yourself at least 200 yards of mono so you can sacrifice 25 yards from a tangle or more from a breakoff under the boat, even if you have a backup reel &/or combo. For bigeye fishing, we use 225-250 yard topshots with long rigger baits fished almost to the braid. After a bite, we feel a lot better once the splice is back on the reel.