NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Electronics wiring question.... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Electronics wiring question....

There are supposedly battery selector switches which do isolation as Gerry points out. Lets Motor charge the "house" battery as well as the direct connecter ""Starter" battery. But does not let house users get "starter" battery power to use. So never need to select BOTH to get charging done on "house" battery too.

Also with a switch you can cut over your "house" battery to start motor should your "starter" battery not be up to it.

And NEVER let motor run and turn off or disconnect all batteries. The load of the battery on the Alternator is needed for voltage regulation. Without it connected you likely will destroy your voltage regulator and put out variable voltages up to 20 vdc ruining even more stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Yeah - I like those new bus bars with the new style fuses.

One other thing to also consider if you are wiring the boat with a starting and house battery is battery isolater.

http://all-about-lead-acid-batteries...solators-work/
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 12-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Typo and additional
Old 12-10-2015, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Absolutely hate isolaters. I'm from the KISS school. 2 batts and a selector switch has worked fine for me for years!

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

YOU ARE THE ISOLATOR. Many do nothing and leave switches same way forever. All batteries feed load and charge tantamount to just one battery. That's why an isolator works. KISS works if you do your part switching.

If you pay attention and give TLC ( charging) when needed- all is cool.

Without an isolator you have to remember ALL when running and charging. Then switch it to disconnect your START battery from you HOUSE supply battery. Forget to switch off, and you drain all batteries down including your START battery when adrift. OR.... Forget to switch in the batteries in parallel while running, your HOUSE battery never charges.

I've never had an isolator and did switch that GUEST knob around 100's of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Absolutely hate isolaters. I'm from the KISS school. 2 batts and a selector switch has worked fine for me for years!
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
YOU ARE THE ISOLATOR. .
Kinda prefer it that way. I'm a little nuts when it comes to stuff on the boat. Switching gives me a reason to look down below during the trip and see whats up.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995